I want to build something!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I want to build something!

Wow you guys are in amazing area but where's your cactus.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

The Palisades

This is the bear mountain bridge down the street from CPW and I

This is west point:

Dont have this in the deserts!

Comment

Oh this is my Fishing hole!! Amawalk reservoir

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
          Anyone else ever have the urge to just build something...... I wish i had a place It is something about that first bucket of dirt at 7:30 in the morning when you start digging for footings, or the whine of a circular saw as you start ripping plywood the turbo torch screaming..... So i have spent all morning daydreaming about my dream house, that I will be the G.C. on of course. I am looking for property now so it is not going to be this year lol the way permiting works around here it will be atl least another year before i can start digging if i buy the property tommorrow. Tell me about your dream houses what will you guys have I will start first!

I want something modest not too amazing around here all the new homes are 10,000 s.f. plus i am happy with 3,000 and a NICE 30x20 garage where i can put all my tools. Despite the fact I am only 26 I have a lot of tools!!! A lot. Maybe that is why I dont have a house yet?

3 bedroom 2 bath house on maybe a 5 acre lot, pond in the back for swimming/fishing/ice skating. Detached garage that i shall dub Man-land with my toys- er. tools. Definitely a colonial, the garage maybe like a pole barn style like a carriage house design. Nice long winding driveway so that you cant see the house from the road. I dotn want to clear cut the lot I want to employ selective clearing where the house seems to blend in with the surrounding woods.

Now for the scary part In westchester County I am looking at this home costing 2 million If i dont build it myself! Maybe even more. Any one want to dontate to a poor kid with more tools than money fund? LOL
          maybe you could have Devine do it, he doesn't have the overhead we do (not having a license, insurance, bond.....) I'm sure he could give you a good price.
          The Other Rick

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
            Wow you guys are in amazing area but where's your cactus.

Mark
            Cactus, whats that....

We don't even have snakes or Poison Ivy, well maybe way down south MN.
            Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

the first shop I built (when I lived in town) was 24 x 30, and out grew that in a year,
              all wood working,

when I moved to the farm I used the garage building for my shop as that was the only building that had a cement floor in it at the time, I easily filled that and could not hardly move in it, later I rebuilt the barn, it had a center of 30 x 50, with two side sheds, 15 foot wide and 65 foot long, I poured concrete in the center, and that is my machine and mechanical shop, the old garage is the wood shop, and would like to build a new wood shop some year, and have toyed with the idea of adding an addition on to the barn of 60 x 40 or so in front of the existing building which has the current 30 x50 shop in it and the storage on the sides and up in the "Raised" hay loft I have more parts and supply storage. (I do not store farm or construction equipment, tractors or trucks or the like in side either).

ALL I know is what ever you build and you use tools and find a use for what you own, you will out grow your shops in time.

I would suggest building in such a way on the shop/garage area, that it could easily be expanded, in the future if needed.

one of my reasons on the new wood shop is to get better paths for lumber flow through the machines, and then a construction area for furniture and cabinets, a spray both, (which I would probly set up in the old shop and then wood storage in the old shop),
              I would like to build it to look like a old barn and in the loft area set up my stain glass room, I like to incorporate stain glass in the furniture or cabinets that I build it seems to really be a hit with people. and I like my shops set up so I can come in and use things and not have to set it up to use it, such as move half of the machines around to a usable position.

Also mechanical and wood working do not mix well, grease does not go good on wood and dust is not helpfull on precision mechanical parts, and welding and grinding do not go good on wood either, saw dust and wood burn, and grit doesn't not help either,

that is one reason I would like to add on to the barn and put the welding out in the new section, and also to have more area to have a unit to be setting either being fixed and or waiting for parts or what ever, and a place to put some movable over head hoist on movable beams,

jsut my two cents,
              Last edited by BHD; 06-20-2008, 09:16 PM.
              Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
              attributed to Samuel Johnson
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I want something modest not too amazing around here all the new homes are 10,000 s.f. plus i am happy with 3,000 and a NICE 30x20 garage where i can put all my tools. Despite the fact I am only 26 I have a lot of tools!!! A lot. Maybe that is why I dont have a house yet?
                How do you have a master plumbers license at the age of 26? Last time I checked you need 10 years experience to take the test????

Section 277.506 of the County licensing law:

1. Master plumber's license. After a candidate receives a certificate of competency as a master plumber, a license will be issued by the County Board of Plumbing Examiners to permit the performance of plumbing work with no restrictions in any city, town or village in the county. Such license is hereby required for all plumbing inspectors in cities within the county; however, such inspectors shall be exempt from annual renewal fees. All applicants shall have successfully completed a four-year apprentice program with licensed master plumbers and have five years' experience at the journey level or have five years' apprenticeship in the employ of a licensed master plumber and have five years' additional experience as a journey level plumber in the employ of licensed master plumbers as the requirement for application. The annual fee for a master plumber's license is $500.00.
                Last edited by Masterplumb; 06-20-2008, 09:30 PM.

Comment

Wrench Spinner what kind of an "Evil Engineer" are you?
                  Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                  attributed to Samuel Johnson
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by Masterplumb View Post
                    How do you have a master plumbers license at the age of 26? Last time I checked you need 10 years experience to take the test????

Section 277.506 of the County licensing law:

1. Master plumber's license. After a candidate receives a certificate of competency as a master plumber, a license will be issued by the County Board of Plumbing Examiners to permit the performance of plumbing work with no restrictions in any city, town or village in the county. Such license is hereby required for all plumbing inspectors in cities within the county; however, such inspectors shall be exempt from annual renewal fees. All applicants shall have successfully completed a four-year apprentice program with licensed master plumbers and have five years' experience at the journey level or have five years' apprenticeship in the employ of a licensed master plumber and have five years' additional experience as a journey level plumber in the employ of licensed master plumbers as the requirement for application. The annual fee for a master plumber's license is $500.00.

I took the master plumber's test about a month ago I have not yet recieved the results and I am not yet a master. However, I do hold a journeyman's card and yes I did have a business. I employeed a Master Plumber as well as my business Partner is a master. I ran the business end of things. And as far as ten years experience yes. I have been working since I was 12 years old for family, which is legal in New York. I am not going to throw their name out on a public forum but if intersted I will scan a copy of my Journeyman's card on monday and upon reciept of my master's paperwork soon I hope I will scan that in as well. I will also answer any questions as well as back them up if anyone wants!

As of now no I no longer do any kind of plumbing to speak of other than an odd job for a friend or family. Oh and I also have a bachelors degree in Mechanical Engineering with a minor in business. If anyone would like I would be happy to post them here to. I am not a hypocrite and am slightly insulted by the accusations made.

Comment

I took the master plumber's test about a month ago I have not yet recieved the results and I am not yet a master. However, I do hold a journeyman's card and yes I did have a business. I employeed a Master Plumber as well as my business Partner is a master. I ran the business end of things. And as far as ten years experience yes. I have been working since I was 12 years old for family, which is legal in New York. I am not going to throw their name out on a public forum but if intersted I will scan a copy of my Journeyman's card on monday and upon reciept of my master's paperwork soon I hope I will scan that in as well. I will also answer any questions as well as back them up if anyone wants!

As of now no I no longer do any kind of plumbing to speak of other than an odd job for a friend or family. Oh and I also have a bachelors degree in Mechanical Engineering with a minor in business. If anyone would like I would be happy to post them here to. I am not a hypocrite and am slightly insulted by the accusations made.
                      I find it hard to believe that you attended college, have a bachelors degree with a minor and still had time to put in enough hours for credit towards your master (2000hrs/yr)

No need to get offended, I asked a simple question, as your signature talks about others not having a license and you don't either?

Employing a master doesnt mean anything. as per the licensing code the Master shall own 51% of the business.

Something doesn't smell right here.

Comment

That is correct that is why it took me so long. After attending high school i was done around noon, worked till about 5 averaging 5 hours a day after school for my grandfather, for 5 days a week, then all day saturday usually 8 to 10 hours a day, that if my math is correct is 35 hours a week, for 2 years in high school junior and senior. plus summers of 50 hour weeks from when i was 12 years old until I was 18. Then for 2 years since i couldnt afford college yet i attended community college at night as well as working full time. 50 hour plus weeks mind you. My family has a fairly large plumbing shop in upper westchester and is VERY busy. After I recieved my associates degree in Engineering Technologies From Westchester Community College I took my journeymans test, keep in mind I am 20 years old at the time. I continued my education at Western New England College in Springfield MA, Where I continued to work after class and on the weekends for a local plumbing company. After Graduating with a bachelors degree I was hard pressed to find a job in my field, so I returned to the family business, There was a little bit of drama in the middle there between my uncle and I regarding hours worked etc. but my grandfather straightened that out and attested to my hours as I worked directly under him for a number of years. Instead of he retiring I took on his company as a partner for a number of years and continued to learn the trade under him as well as working along side him in the business end of things. So Master Plumb as you can see it did take me2000 plus hours of sweat equity to get my journeyman's and hopefully masters cards. Which believe me I will be more than proud enough to show EVERYONE on this board upon its arrival and with regards to my current Journeyman's card I will scan that on next week and PM it to you! Oh and as far as the minor in business I took night classes at Westchester to achieve that because my friend there is a lot more to the plumbing business than just swinging a wrench and sweating a pipe!

Comment

That is correct that is why it took me so long. After attending high school i was done around noon, worked till about 5 averaging 5 hours a day after school for my grandfather, for 5 days a week, then all day saturday usually 8 to 10 hours a day, that if my math is correct is 35 hours a week, for 2 years in high school junior and senior. plus summers of 50 hour weeks from when i was 12 years old until I was 18. Then for 2 years since i couldnt afford college yet i attended community college at night as well as working full time. 50 hour plus weeks mind you. My family has a fairly large plumbing shop in upper westchester and is VERY busy. After I recieved my associates degree in Engineering Technologies From Westchester Community College I took my journeymans test, keep in mind I am 20 years old at the time. I continued my education at Western New England College in Springfield MA, Where I continued to work after class and on the weekends for a local plumbing company. After Graduating with a bachelors degree I was hard pressed to find a job in my field, so I returned to the family business, There was a little bit of drama in the middle there between my uncle and I regarding hours worked etc. but my grandfather straightened that out and attested to my hours as I worked directly under him for a number of years. Instead of he retiring I took on his company as a partner for a number of years and continued to learn the trade under him as well as working along side him in the business end of things. So Master Plumb as you can see it did take me2000 plus hours of sweat equity to get my journeyman's and hopefully masters cards. Which believe me I will be more than proud enough to show EVERYONE on this board upon its arrival and with regards to my current Journeyman's card I will scan that on next week and PM it to you! Oh and as far as the minor in business I took night classes at Westchester to achieve that because my friend there is a lot more to the plumbing business than just swinging a wrench and sweating a pipe!
                          I hate over achievers.

Mark
                          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Don't have to show any proof. Just keep on keepin' on.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                              I hate over achievers.

Mark
                              I resemble that remark

Hey wrench spinner, Tieger isn't your dad is he?
                              I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
                                I resemble that remark

Hey wrench spinner, Tieger isn't your dad is he?
                                That was mean.....
                                Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Working...
                                X