Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I want to build something!

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
    That is correct that is why it took me so long. After attending high school i was done around noon, worked till about 5 averaging 5 hours a day after school for my grandfather, for 5 days a week, then all day saturday usually 8 to 10 hours a day, that if my math is correct is 35 hours a week, for 2 years in high school junior and senior. plus summers of 50 hour weeks from when i was 12 years old until I was 18. Then for 2 years since i couldnt afford college yet i attended community college at night as well as working full time. 50 hour plus weeks mind you. My family has a fairly large plumbing shop in upper westchester and is VERY busy. After I recieved my associates degree in Engineering Technologies From Westchester Community College I took my journeymans test, keep in mind I am 20 years old at the time. I continued my education at Western New England College in Springfield MA, Where I continued to work after class and on the weekends for a local plumbing company. After Graduating with a bachelors degree I was hard pressed to find a job in my field, so I returned to the family business, There was a little bit of drama in the middle there between my uncle and I regarding hours worked etc. but my grandfather straightened that out and attested to my hours as I worked directly under him for a number of years. Instead of he retiring I took on his company as a partner for a number of years and continued to learn the trade under him as well as working along side him in the business end of things. So Master Plumb as you can see it did take me2000 plus hours of sweat equity to get my journeyman's and hopefully masters cards. Which believe me I will be more than proud enough to show EVERYONE on this board upon its arrival and with regards to my current Journeyman's card I will scan that on next week and PM it to you! Oh and as far as the minor in business I took night classes at Westchester to achieve that because my friend there is a lot more to the plumbing business than just swinging a wrench and sweating a pipe!
    This really goes to show that someone with skill and a hard work ethic can acheive a hell of a lot when they put their mind to it.

Aside from that it also shows how much slack there is a college schedule, that if not spent partying can be spent working. My free college time was spent working 20 hours a week at the same time I was taking between 19 and 23 credits a semester. Fortunately, after my first year of college, I started working for a professor who became my graduate advisor, which let me get the heck out of college and graduate school in 6 years.

Comment

Back to the house discussion. I don't understand the logic of building a new house with four bedrooms and three baths or five bedrooms and four baths. I am talking about full baths not the extra half baths. If building new I would include a bathroom for every bedroom, yet almost every house built lacks one bathroom for the number of bedrooms. There must be some logic because even exceptionally high end houses where it seems the occupant has the dough to afford another bathroom are built like this. I don't get it.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom W View Post
        Back to the house discussion. I don't understand the logic of building a new house with four bedrooms and three baths or five bedrooms and four baths. I am talking about full baths not the extra half baths. If building new I would include a bathroom for every bedroom, yet almost every house built lacks one bathroom for the number of bedrooms. There must be some logic because even exceptionally high end houses where it seems the occupant has the dough to afford another bathroom are built like this. I don't get it.
        I think that is a good point. There really seem to be bedroom - 2 full bathrooms, because usually when you get more than two baths the third is really only half. I'm not sure you need a one-to-one mapping, but 4 with 2 full baths is probably too little. I think that a master and guest room should have separate baths, and the rest of the bedrooms can share; as long as it isn't more than two beds to one bath. My logic is that kids can learn to share.

Comment

I have a 4 bedroom house with 1 bathroom and there is 5 of us in the house. I hate having 1 bathroom, but we do manage. But thank god I have boys, if I had daughters, you could bet your life savings I'd be putting in a new bathroom yesterday 10 yrs ago....
          Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

I have two brothers and two sisters. Growing up we also had only one bathroom for seven of us and I don't recall any significant problems. While raising our own two kids we had a 5,700 sq. ft. house with five bedrooms but since it was an old farm house there was only one bathroom. The only complaint was from my daugter who complained that my son would occasionally leave toothpaste spray on the mirror. My suggestion that we scrape the offending nubs off and serve them as after dinner mints didn't receive the accolades for inventivness I had hoped for.

Our now house has three bedrooms and two baths for just my wife and me. Separate bathrooms will go a long way toward making a marriage work. We also each took over one of the bedroms as our own space and share the third. I can assure you there are no Georgia O'Keef prints of flowers or any of that stuff on my bedroom walls. If she wants that stuff let her have it. I like my wild boar's head looking at me. I have passed up shots on bear while hunting but I think I may shoot the next one and have a full body mount done. That would look way cool in my room.

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
              That is correct that is why it took me so long. After attending high school i was done around noon, worked till about 5 averaging 5 hours a day after school for my grandfather, for 5 days a week, then all day saturday usually 8 to 10 hours a day, that if my math is correct is 35 hours a week, for 2 years in high school junior and senior. plus summers of 50 hour weeks from when i was 12 years old until I was 18. Then for 2 years since i couldnt afford college yet i attended community college at night as well as working full time. 50 hour plus weeks mind you. My family has a fairly large plumbing shop in upper westchester and is VERY busy. After I recieved my associates degree in Engineering Technologies From Westchester Community College I took my journeymans test, keep in mind I am 20 years old at the time. I continued my education at Western New England College in Springfield MA, Where I continued to work after class and on the weekends for a local plumbing company. After Graduating with a bachelors degree I was hard pressed to find a job in my field, so I returned to the family business, There was a little bit of drama in the middle there between my uncle and I regarding hours worked etc. but my grandfather straightened that out and attested to my hours as I worked directly under him for a number of years. Instead of he retiring I took on his company as a partner for a number of years and continued to learn the trade under him as well as working along side him in the business end of things. So Master Plumb as you can see it did take me2000 plus hours of sweat equity to get my journeyman's and hopefully masters cards. Which believe me I will be more than proud enough to show EVERYONE on this board upon its arrival and with regards to my current Journeyman's card I will scan that on next week and PM it to you! Oh and as far as the minor in business I took night classes at Westchester to achieve that because my friend there is a lot more to the plumbing business than just swinging a wrench and sweating a pipe!
              So your grandfather attested to your hours, thats a different story. With that much knowledge you definitely should be able to pass an open book test on the first try. So since we're on the subject whats is the name of your company? I know about sweat and hard work as I built my company from the ground up, I wasnt lucky enough to take over my grandfathers business. You took this all the wrong way, as you were criticizing someone for not having a masters and you dont either. Anyhow "my friend" I do realise there is more to plumbing then just spinning a wrench. What is the name of he company?

Comment

I was not questioning your paper work, I was just interested in what kind of engineering you did or are.

Personally I think the paper work is jsut that, it proves very little, either you can or you can't do the job.

and it is obvious your one who can do.

The Saturn rocket that took Man to the moon the second stage, Head electrical engineer never had a degree in engineering, It was on on if you can do the job not if you had paper work.
                Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                attributed to Samuel Johnson
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Working...
                X