X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to build something!

Anyone else ever have the urge to just build something...... I wish i had a place It is something about that first bucket of dirt at 7:30 in the morning when you start digging for footings, or the whine of a circular saw as you start ripping plywood the turbo torch screaming..... So i have spent all morning daydreaming about my dream house, that I will be the G.C. on of course. I am looking for property now so it is not going to be this year lol the way permiting works around here it will be atl least another year before i can start digging if i buy the property tommorrow. Tell me about your dream houses what will you guys have I will start first!

I want something modest not too amazing around here all the new homes are 10,000 s.f. plus i am happy with 3,000 and a NICE 30x20 garage where i can put all my tools. Despite the fact I am only 26 I have a lot of tools!!! A lot. Maybe that is why I dont have a house yet?

3 bedroom 2 bath house on maybe a 5 acre lot, pond in the back for swimming/fishing/ice skating. Detached garage that i shall dub Man-land with my toys- er. tools. Definitely a colonial, the garage maybe like a pole barn style like a carriage house design. Nice long winding driveway so that you cant see the house from the road. I dotn want to clear cut the lot I want to employ selective clearing where the house seems to blend in with the surrounding woods.

Now for the scary part In westchester County I am looking at this home costing 2 million If i dont build it myself! Maybe even more. Any one want to dontate to a poor kid with more tools than money fund? LOL

Re: I want to build something!

There's always the Lottery.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

My problem is I always get the urge to build some half way through another project.

Example i went to bass pro to get a few things to fix the old boat. I now have a new boat in my backyard the i am customizing as we speak so it will be ready for the weekend

Comment

I've been going crazy wanting to build. However, it seems like every time I'm ready something comes up. I had plans drawn and ready for a log home 3-years ago and then zoning changes made me want to do some subdividing first. Now that the subdividing is almost completed I ended up trading a non-buildable lot for a developed lot in another subdivision and we can't decided where to build now. I want to be up my canyon along the creek and Brenda wants to be on a hill above the Highway.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
          I want to be up my canyon along the creek and Brenda wants to be on a hill above the Highway.

Mark
          I heard if you do it your way, you will be up your creek with no paddles
          I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
            Anyone else ever have the urge to just build something...... I wish i had a place It is something about that first bucket of dirt at 7:30 in the morning when you start digging for footings, or the whine of a circular saw as you start ripping plywood the turbo torch screaming..... So i have spent all morning daydreaming about my dream house, that I will be the G.C. on of course. I am looking for property now so it is not going to be this year lol the way permiting works around here it will be atl least another year before i can start digging if i buy the property tommorrow. Tell me about your dream houses what will you guys have I will start first!

I want something modest not too amazing around here all the new homes are 10,000 s.f. plus i am happy with 3,000 and a NICE 30x20 garage where i can put all my tools. Despite the fact I am only 26 I have a lot of tools!!! A lot. Maybe that is why I dont have a house yet?

3 bedroom 2 bath house on maybe a 5 acre lot, pond in the back for swimming/fishing/ice skating. Detached garage that i shall dub Man-land with my toys- er. tools. Definitely a colonial, the garage maybe like a pole barn style like a carriage house design. Nice long winding driveway so that you cant see the house from the road. I dotn want to clear cut the lot I want to employ selective clearing where the house seems to blend in with the surrounding woods.

Now for the scary part In westchester County I am looking at this home costing 2 million If i dont build it myself! Maybe even more. Any one want to dontate to a poor kid with more tools than money fund? LOL
            My dream house:

I would want a 5 bed, 2.5 bath house on a 5-10 acre lot in Putnam or Dutchess. I would want a 3.5 car garage and an unfinished basement. I would want it to be about 3,000 square feet. I would want about 1/3 of an acre of flat land near the house with a deck overlooking it. I would also like another deck off the master bedroom. 2 fire places. About an 800-1200 sq ft. unfinished basement for my tools and shop.

I would also be pickier about my lot so that my house is on a hill, not so much in a valley.

I would want some bells and whistles:
            - Internet/CATV in Every Room with a Central Wiring Panel
            - Every outlet box in the kitchen would have two duplex receptacles. Same thing in the bedrooms for next to the bed.
            - Lots of Windows
            - Zoned A/C
            - In-ground sprinklers

As far as style I kind of like my front-to-back split that I have now with the cathedral ceilings on the main level w/ kitchen, dining and family rooms.

The one thing I'll recommend about your dream house is to go for four bedrooms; with this kind of house having the fourth bedroom will be a deciding factor for many people when you sell it. With lots of people working from home, you want to have a master, boy's room, girl's room, and an office. Why I said I would like five is master, boy's room, girl's room, nanny, office.

Comment

One thing I forgot to mention is that I would want it to be close to the Taconic (more important) and optionally a train station.

Comment

If your tools will fit into a 20' x 30' garage then your seriously lacking in the tool department,
                Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                attributed to Samuel Johnson
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
                  I heard if you do it your way, you will be up your creek with no paddles
                  Hey you're pretty funny for a girl.

The truth of the matter is between the kayaks and the rafts I store in my building up the canyon I would be up the creek with a bunch of paddles but without Brenda.

Our differences are I like seclusion and no neighbors while Brenda likes being where people can find her. We will work it out and I will do whatever she asks me to do but I will not go down without a little whining. I have included pictures of the two lots where would you want to be?

Brenda's lot is 100-yards off of the Highway with a view of the river while mine is 1/2 mile up the canyon with a view and sound of the creek.

Mark
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
                    If your tools will fit into a 20' x 30' garage then your seriously lacking in the tool department,
                    Well I was planning to keep the backhoe outside, 20 x 30 that is like a 2 1/2 car garage isnt it? I should have room for tablesaw, bandsaw, kalamazoo, drill press, 40" mechanics tool chest, compresser, threaders and a couple of snakes shouldn't I? Hmmm. it is a dream house how about 30' x 45'?

Comment

Hey you're pretty funny for a girl.

The truth of the matter is between the kayaks and the rafts I store in my building up the canyon I would be up the creek with a bunch of paddles but without Brenda.

Our differences are I like seclusion and no neighbors while Brenda likes being where people can find her. We will work it out and I will do whatever she asks me to do but I will not go down without a little whining. I have included pictures of the two lots where would you want to be?

Brenda's lot is 100-yards off of the Highway with a view of the river while mine is 1/2 mile up the canyon with a view and sound of the creek.

Mark

Ill TAKE IT?!? Man it sure is pretty out west! We just have a different kind of pretty in the east!

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
                        Ill TAKE IT?!? Man it sure is pretty out west! We just have a different kind of pretty in the east!
                        Yes we are very arid out west while you guys out east seem to have water every where out east. I am a sucker for green but I only get to see it at spring time in the west. We spent some time in New York last November and the fly over was amazing.

Mark

Comment

Yes we are very arid out west while you guys out east seem to have water every where out east. I am a sucker for green but I only get to see it at spring time in the west. We spent some time in New York last November and the fly over was amazing.

Mark
                          Next time you guys are out here let me know I'd be happy to show you some of the places that amaze me every time i look at them. For example the only Mesa's we have out here seem to be the Palisades! Man those cliffs are spectacular!

Comment

MN is is even nicer....

Downtown, my town Two Harbors

Duluth MN

North shore, 2nd most beautiful drive in the US, next to the Grand Canyon...

My Dog, he even likes MN....
                            Last edited by garager; 06-20-2008, 03:11 PM.
                            Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

I'm trying to finish up a new rabbit shed for the wife and kids. I like to build too...
                              Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Working...
                              X