Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody know about home theater set-ups?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody know about home theater set-ups?

I looked and looked all over the place online for info, but I may just be too unversed to even know what to look for. So I came here.

Here is what's up. My gal and I splurged on a plasma TV. This is the first time I have spent more than $200 on a TV, and that one I had for well over ten years. She also inherited an older A/V receiver and some speakers from a friend of hers.

Now I have been reading enough about this stuff and learned enough to feel like I have to spend another $500 or so to really make this a worthwhile system. I can't spend that kind of dough at the moment after the TV and engagement ring (should be here next week!!!), plus I have another, more sensible feeling that I'll probably be more than satisfied if I used what i have already.

So here are the questions I am unclear on. Is it possible to use HDMI connections from components (like a blu-ray) to my TV and still get the full benefit of surround sound through the older A/V receiver? The receiver does not have HDMI inputs or outputs, it is too old. I would also like to stay away from using the receiver as the "command center" and just have it be used for running the sound through. It is a discontinued Sony model that apparently will not work with universal remote controls except for the very basics like power toggle.

So, if it is possible to use continue to use my TV as the HDMI switch, will it still sound as good since the connection to the receiver will be RCA? (there are also optical and S-video inputs available on the receiver)

It hurts my head. I am hoping someone on here is a bit of an expert and will give me free advice so I don't have to pay a pro.

What ever happened to good ol' channel "U" and the bunny ears?

Eli
    A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Re: Anybody know about home theater set-ups?

For slightly under 15 g's you can get all the right stuff and have it installed by people that know what they are doing.
    sigpic

Comment

try crutchfield ?

Comment

If your receiver has either the digital coax (looks like an RCA plug) or optical (toslink) connections, you can connect the cable from the dvd or Blu-Ray player to the receiver for 5.1 audio. The HDMI would connect between the player and the tv. I recommend purchasing your cables from Monoprice.com if you don't already have them. The retail stores such as Circuit City and Best Buy push Monster Cable. There's nothing wrong with those cables except that they are grossly overpriced. The cables at monoprice will provide the same quality and a much much much lower cost. I've used both and cannot tell the difference. If you have any other questions, I'll do my best to answer them.
        Matt

Comment

What the heck are you guys talking about? I never heard of this stuff. I know what a plasma TV is but after that I am totally lost. But since mdm is an engineer I agree with him.

Comment

Originally posted by mdm View Post
            If your receiver has either the digital coax (looks like an RCA plug) or optical (toslink) connections, you can connect the cable from the dvd or Blu-Ray player to the receiver for 5.1 audio. The HDMI would connect between the player and the tv. I recommend purchasing your cables from Monoprice.com if you don't already have them. The retail stores such as Circuit City and Best Buy push Monster Cable. There's nothing wrong with those cables except that they are grossly overpriced. The cables at monoprice will provide the same quality and a much much much lower cost. I've used both and cannot tell the difference.
            FYI: If there is a Costco near you they market a Home Theater kit

Wirelogic
            HDTV Deluxe Cable Kit

Solid Conductors
            Silver-plated Copper
            Nitrogen-injected Insulation

$89.99

Item # 255317

Plus Shipping & HandlingQty: Wirelogic cables use: solid conductors, silver-plated copper, nitrogen-injected insulation, and long-grain copper. Providing the user with a: clearer picture, sharper images, more vibrant colors, less distortion, and better sound.

Wirelogic cables are low impedance cables, bringing the strongest, clearest signal and performance to your home theater.

Upgrade your home theater system with WireLogic this deluxe package and enjoy top quality sound and image like never before.

Kit Includes:
            • 2x - HDMI Cable
            • 2x - Component Cable
            • 1x - Audio Interconnects
            • 1x Digital Coax
            • 1x Optical (Toslink)
            • 1x A/V Cable
            • 1x - HDMI/ DVI Adapter
            • All cables are 6ft 6 inch lengths in an attractive braid.
            Check it out, hope this helps....

Comment

Thanks guys! I will order the cables I need, and probably be back with many questions after that. It makes me feel a lot better knowing I can use the hand me down instead of getting a new system.

Eli
              A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Comment

I went through the home theater set up thing last year with a 4 year old receiver/amp Onkyo.

Bottom line is, I wish I would have hired a nerd to come over and do it. It still doesn't work like it should. For example, if I play a DVD the sound is delayed through my speaker system.

Go hire a nerd, it's money well spent.
                Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

I'll link this to my home theater guy; if he responds out of the curiousity factor I'll post back his statement.
                  Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by woodenstickers View Post
                    I looked and looked all over the place online for info, but I may just be too unversed to even know what to look for. So I came here.

Here is what's up. My gal and I splurged on a plasma TV. This is the first time I have spent more than $200 on a TV, and that one I had for well over ten years. She also inherited an older A/V receiver and some speakers from a friend of hers.

Now I have been reading enough about this stuff and learned enough to feel like I have to spend another $500 or so to really make this a worthwhile system. I can't spend that kind of dough at the moment after the TV and engagement ring (should be here next week!!!), plus I have another, more sensible feeling that I'll probably be more than satisfied if I used what i have already.

So here are the questions I am unclear on. Is it possible to use HDMI connections from components (like a blu-ray) to my TV and still get the full benefit of surround sound through the older A/V receiver? The receiver does not have HDMI inputs or outputs, it is too old. I would also like to stay away from using the receiver as the "command center" and just have it be used for running the sound through. It is a discontinued Sony model that apparently will not work with universal remote controls except for the very basics like power toggle.

So, if it is possible to use continue to use my TV as the HDMI switch, will it still sound as good since the connection to the receiver will be RCA? (there are also optical and S-video inputs available on the receiver)

It hurts my head. I am hoping someone on here is a bit of an expert and will give me free advice so I don't have to pay a pro.

What ever happened to good ol' channel "U" and the bunny ears?

Eli

Easy peasy.....

Run the HDMI from you tv to your blu ray player, cable box, whatever. Cable box/bluray/or receiver should have an "audio out" plug in which you can use your RCA cables with.

For example.....I run a digital cable box and an old home theaterinabox setup.

HDMI cable goes from the tv to the cable box. Then RCA (audio out) out from the cable box into the "aux sound source" input on my home theatre system. HDMI carries both video and sound, and the sound is true digital. So even with the down compression to RCA, the sound is still wicked.

If you have a receiver, the sound will come from whatever "sound out" RCA on the Blu Ray or Cable box, or whatever. Of course, you'd need two separate HDMI cables if using both a cable box and Blu Ray, as well as two outputs on the tv. Get yourself a good power conditioner as well so you don't fry up that Plasma........

PM me if you need more specifics.
                    I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

I am still using pieces that I bought almost 20 years ago. I have all separate amps and run an older Sony EP9ES signal processor with no dvi i/o. I run the audio fiber optic connections from Sony PS3 (blueray player) and HD satellite to the signal processor and the feed all the amps with good quality RCA from the signal processor. The TV is fed with DVI from the sat and hdmi to dvi from the PS3 (TV is a bit older and only has DVI)
                      The major difference between DVI and HDMI is that audio signals are are sent with the video in HDMI, DVI is video only.
                      If your inherited amp is only a 2 channel I would suggest that your next purchase when you have the money is an amp with a signal processor capable of Dolby digital (5.1) and a set of small bookshelf speakers for the rear channel, then a powered sub-woofer, then a center speaker (should be as large as your main speakers - meaning able to produce same sound levels not necessarily size)
                      This DVD is probably the best $35 you could spend on home theater
                      I have the original version and use it to setup my system

Comment

There is some decent info here:
                        http://www.ceaconnectionsguide.com/
                        And this forum has some good discussions and info:
                        http://www.hdtvoice.com/voice/index.php?
                        ‎"I've never let my schooling interfere with my education" -Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by tinmack View Post
                          Run the HDMI from you tv to your blu ray player, cable box, whatever. Cable box/bluray/or receiver should have an "audio out" plug in which you can use your RCA cables with.
                          I don't have a home theatre, I just use the speakers in my TV, but one thing you might check is if you have an audio out on the TV.

That way you can run the audio/video to the TV's inputs. Then you can put the TV audio out into the receiver audio input. I would think that if you run the audio signals directly from the cable and bluray to the receiver you would have to switch the channel to the appropriate device. If you run it from the TV to the receiver, it would be the right one based on what is showing on the screen. This might reduce your audio quality though because the cables would be longer/more joints. I don't know if it would be enough to matter.

Comment

Nice try, but not as good......

The audio out from the Blu Ray or cable box through HDMI or a Toslink would be better audio before being downgraded thru the RCA cables if it was going to a receiver. The audio from the tv is just standard surround.

That's assuming I'm understanding your reasoning correctly. If not, then my bad.
                            I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

Working...
                            X