X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Presidential Election 2008

To be fair, here are McCain's economic ideas:

http://www.johnmccain.com/Informing/...fc4cfecc78.htm

The economy is going to be a huge factor in this years election, probably #1 factor.
    Last edited by Service Guy; 06-23-2008, 11:26 AM.
    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
      "business owners" is a broad term.

This quote is from Obama's website:

He's not all about raising taxes, at least not across the board.
      Also, he details a plan that supports small business owners, you can read about it here: http://www.barackobama.com/pdf/SmallBusinessFINAL.pdf
      Well on the face it sounds good but the tax break maxes out at $41.67 per month for an individual and $83.33 per month for a family. Now compare that to all of the new taxes he will have to invent to pay for all of his programs and you will likely need that $83.33 per month and a bunch more. When I look at all of the things he has promised I just wonder where he is going to find our money to pay for them. All of us will end up paying just by his change to the capital gains tax.

Mark
      Last edited by ToUtahNow; 06-22-2008, 07:35 PM.
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I could be wrong, but I believe Obama mainly wants to repeal the tax cuts to the wealthy. People making $500,000+/year for example. Yes, they will pay more (than they do currently) under his plan.

Comment

Like many here I am not pleased with either candidate or party. I won't rehash what everyone else already said, it just seems we lose with either of them. I know that the price of oil and everything it affects will hurt my family and many others so that's a major concern I will bring up again. Unlike the cost of the war and the cost of millions of illegals, oil prices hit me immediately. Will either candidate or party help with the oil crisis or any of these other serious problems? I don't think so. Where does that leave me and my precious vote? I have always voted, proud and happy to have a vote, but I am sitting here very disappointed and not excited about this election. God help us, I really mean that.

Comment

I could be wrong, but I believe Obama mainly wants to repeal the tax cuts to the wealthy. People making $500,000+/year for example. Yes, they will pay more (than they do currently) under his plan.
            Just another talking point used by Obama. I guarantee taxes, or the cost of taxes, will go up across the board. That is not the way to stimulate the economy and a weak economy helps no one. Carter tried much of the same during a slightly sagging economy and flatly put the economy into a tail spin.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
              Like many here I am not pleased with either candidate or party. I won't rehash what everyone else already said, it just seems we lose with either of them. I know that the price of oil and everything it affects will hurt my family and many others so that's a major concern I will bring up again. Unlike the cost of the war and the cost of millions of illegals, oil prices hit me immediately. Will either candidate or party help with the oil crisis or any of these other serious problems? I don't think so. Where does that leave me and my precious vote? I have always voted, proud and happy to have a vote, but I am sitting here very disappointed and not excited about this election. God help us, I really mean that.
              The Green Party will announce their candidate after their convention in Chicago July 10-13, who they back may persuade me to not vote for myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Killertoiletspider View Post
                The Green Party will announce their candidate after their convention in Chicago July 10-13, who they back may persuade me to not vote for myself.

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                  Just another talking point used by Obama. I guarantee taxes, or the cost of taxes, will go up across the board. That is not the way to stimulate the economy and a weak economy helps no one. Carter tried much of the same during a slightly sagging economy and flatly put the economy into a tail spin.

Mark
                  That does concern me a bit. I liked Bill Clinton's 'centrist' democratic ideals better. People say Obama is too far left, and I fear this too. I truly hope he is not like Carter if he gets elected.

I agree with everyone that its a hard choice this year. Dumb or dumber?...but we must decide one way or another.

Comment

4 pages and no huge fights (yet)! I am impressed, and thanks guys for keeping it civil so far.

Comment

That does concern me a bit. I liked Bill Clinton's 'centrist' democratic ideals better. People say Obama is too far left, and I fear this too. I truly hope he is not like Carter if he gets elected.

I agree with everyone that its a hard choice this year. Dumb or dumber?...but we must decide one way or another.
                      I agree Clinton was more of a moderator between the two parties. I approved of much of what he did and disapproved of others. I do however believe he was a better President than he has been a past-President. There is no question he hurt Hilliary chance at President.

Mark
                      Last edited by ToUtahNow; 06-22-2008, 08:51 PM.

Comment

It's a great country we live in where you can be the biggest disater of a president in the history of the nation. The biggest bumbling baffoon, a man that coined the phrase "misery index" and still get a Nobel Peace Prize. Go figure

I suspect Obama will make Carter look like a genius by comparison.

I don't really give a rats rear end who gets elected president. I'm keeping my eyes on the crooks that get elected to the house and senate. That's where the real corruption takes place.
                        sigpic

Comment

My issues are; women's reproductive health, Second Amendment, illegal aliens and Iraq.
                          The first two are more than likely to be resoved in the Superme Court. I am strongly pro-choice. I don't think Roe v. Wade will be overturned, it would be political suicide for any President to advocate for that. I would certainly vote democratic to maintain that law.

The Second Amendment issue currently being adjudicated in DC might be a factor in how I vote. If it is resolved in favor of gun ownership I will vote democratic based on my assumption that there will probably not be another challenge for a number of years. (Ultimately I believe the issue of gun ownership will be played out in the courts as a First Amendment issue.) If it is resolved in favor of gun control I will vote Republican so that more conservative judges have a chance to be appointed to the bench.

Illegal aliens are a major cause of economic problems in this country. We have it bad here in New York State because of the number of illegals in New York City. I can't imagine how bad it must be for residents of California. Somehow we have to stem the tide of illegals flooding into the US. How border security is promised will be an influencing factor with me.

I was initially in favor of the War on Terrorism, Battle of Iraq, but it has lingered way too long with, as far as I can tell, no readily quantifiable long term gains in terms of regional stability. Our loved ones are being killed and the economic costs are way beyond my comprehension. I would like to see our troops home. Take some of the money we are spending there in troop maintenance and bribe the creeps. Money talks and... you know the rest.

Comment

The big goof got a Nobel Prize but he shared it with one of the biggest perpetrators of political unrest the world has seen.

As a person who lived through the Carter years I can tell you that there were a couple intrinsic benefits. If you had a job, and were able to buy a house, the double digit inflation worked in your favor. You buy your house at todays fixed interest rates, your pay increased because of inflation, and soon you are paying yesterday's bills with todays money.

Another thing that happened was bond rates paid exceptionally high yields. You could buy long term bonds, 30 years, paying tremendous interest. I bought some California Education bonds on the secondary market that paid 13%. Cheese Louise, that was and is big bucks, probably never to be seen again.

Even though I was in a position to take advantage of the bumbling, lying jerk's economics I still think he was at the root of many of the problems of today.

Comment

Like Mark said, I too am not excited about either candidtate.

As far as their campaign speeches/promises. They are just that. I can not recall any politician at any level who accomplishes what he promised. Their hands are tied by the House and Senate that are elected on the state level. They are all about compromise and the "I'll vote for that, but you got to let me attach this on the bill" if you want yours passed.

Anyway, I am not going to "get on my high horse" here and ramble on and on.

McCain will get my vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom W View Post
                                The big goof got a Nobel Prize but he shared it with one of the biggest perpetrators of political unrest the world has seen.

As a person who lived through the Carter years I can tell you that there were a couple intrinsic benefits. If you had a job, and were able to buy a house, the double digit inflation worked in your favor. You buy your house at todays fixed interest rates, your pay increased because of inflation, and soon you are paying yesterday's bills with todays money.

Another thing that happened was bond rates paid exceptionally high yields. You could buy long term bonds, 30 years, paying tremendous interest. I bought some California Education bonds on the secondary market that paid 13%. Cheese Louise, that was and is big bucks, probably never to be seen again.

Even though I was in a position to take advantage of the bumbling, lying jerk's economics I still think he was at the root of many of the problems of today.
                                What was the mortgage rate during that time???

Comment

Working...
                                X