Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Presidential Election 2008

Originally posted by Masterplumb View Post
    What was the mortgage rate during that time???
    Just shy of 18%.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

All this trash-talk about Obama is fine, but unfortunately McCain seems to be more in the dark than Obama when it comes to economic policy! How will electing McCain help us, I just don't see his current plan as accomplishing much at all?
      I still side with Obama thus far.
      Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
        All this trash-talk about Obama is fine, but unfortunately McCain seems to be more in the dark than Obama when it comes to economic policy! How will electing McCain help us, I just don't see his current plan as accomplishing much at all?
        I still side with Obama thus far.

Obama couldn't enact any of his proposed plans when he was a State Senator in Illinois. What makes anyone believe he can enact it at the Federal level?

Right off the bat Obama will let the Bush tax cuts expire. Now say what you want about the tax cuts being for the rich (that may be somewhat true) but right off the bat the average middle class family's tax burden will increase by about $2,000.

Next he will go after big oil with windfall profit tax. Sounds good right? But remember businesses DONT pay taxes. What do you mean they dont pay taxes????? They dont, they pass it on to you and me. Just like you do if the price off a water heater goes up, you raise your price for the water heater. Two years ago many supply houses around here added a $10 surcharge to all deliveries, why? beacuse the price of gas went up. Its all relative.

McCain is definitely not my first choice nor is he the conservative answer but in my opinion he is a better choice then B.H. Obama. I guess it's what is more important to you. I cant see as a business owner how anyone believes BH Obama is a better choice.

Comment

That's funny, McCain more in the dark than obama.
          Obama thinks that by raising taxes that the economy will get better. It doesn't get more in the dark than that. Neither of these guys has a clue what to do to improve the economy.
          They are both salesmen, selling snake oil. Neither knows anything about economics. Obama sells his snake oil to the left who believe raising taxes is the way to go. McCain is more centrist.
          Obama gave a speech last week about how we need to raise the cap on FICA tax so the rich will pay more. I dont know about you guys, but living in and around L.A. making $130,000 a year is hardly rich, but obama thinks it is. How many of you make $130,000 a year? want to pay another $5000 in FICA? That is what obama proposes.
          www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

McCain - taxes (income and investment - it isn't just the rich. Obama's plans would effect me by thousands each year), 2nd amendment rights, support for the military, supreme court appointments, and his integrity and experience.
            Steve
            www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

[quote=Tom W;153356]My issues are; women's reproductive health, Second Amendment, illegal aliens and Iraq.
              The first two are more than likely to be resoved in the Superme Court. I am strongly pro-choice. I don't think Roe v. Wade will be overturned, it would be political suicide for any President to advocate for that. I would certainly vote democratic to maintain that law.

The Second Amendment issue currently being adjudicated in DC might be a factor in how I vote. If it is resolved in favor of gun ownership I will vote democratic based on my assumption that there will probably not be another challenge for a number of years. (Ultimately I believe the issue of gun ownership will be played out in the courts as a First Amendment issue.) If it is resolved in favor of gun control I will vote Republican so that more conservative judges have a chance to be appointed to the bench.

quote]

I believe there are only 2 S.C. Judges presently serving that were put on by Democratic Presidents. The rest were put on by Republicans but some are left leaning on those issues
              Last edited by Masterplumb; 06-23-2008, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Mccain supporters definitely dominate in this forum! I admit you guys are scaring me away from Obama, as I respect your opinions. I really will have to see them debate the economic issues live. I am beginning to think NHmaster is right on, it almost doesn't matter who gets elected, there is so much bureaucratic BS going on in the government already.

Comment

Mccain supporters definitely dominate in this forum! I admit you guys are scaring me away from Obama, as I respect your opinions. I really will have to see them debate the economic issues live. I am beginning to think NHmaster is right on, it almost doesn't matter who gets elected, there is so much bureaucratic BS going on in the government already.
                  I believe you will be surprised to see how each candidate will effect your family if you are able to find info regarding both candidates from a non-basis source. Don't be scared into a vote but do vote informed.

Mark
                  "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I really don't remember the mortgage rate exactly. I don't think I paid 18% but maybe. As I recall I paid about 12%. That was a number of years and houses ago.

Comment

Mortgage rates were 18%, passbook savings were 5%+, a 13 month CD was around 10-12%, a new car loan was 20-22%, and a used car loan was 24%. I had an 18 month federal farm credit loan investment where I earned 18%. That was a hit at tax time!

If the pending presidential candidate doesn't do anything for you, think about what his legacy might be. Do you want liberal or conservative judges appointed? Do you want your gain on your investments/retirement taxed higher or lower? Do you want your inheritance (or yours to your children) to be taxed higher or almost not at all? Do you want your children to inherit an even larger debt?

It does make a difference, even if only to counter a democratic house and senate.
                      Steve
                      www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

Originally posted by smorris View Post
                        If the pending presidential candidate doesn't do anything for you, think about what his legacy might be. Do you want liberal or conservative judges appointed? Do you want your gain on your investments/retirement taxed higher or lower? Do you want your inheritance (or yours to your children) to be taxed higher or almost not at all? Do you want your children to inherit an even larger debt?
                        Dick Morris made a good point on the Sean Hannity show today. Any taxes that Obama would enact can be rolled back easily in the future if Republicans retake congress, but if the healthcare system is socialized going back would be much more difficult.

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
                          Dick Morris made a good point on the Sean Hannity show today. Any taxes that Obama would enact can be rolled back easily in the future if Republicans retake congress, but if the healthcare system is socialized going back would be much more difficult.
                          Obama is calling for insurance regulation, something that the industry with the largest lobbying body is dead against, because regulation strips them of the opportunity to manipulate current laws for their own profit and still raise rates without cause.

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
                            Personally, I support Obama's plan for a more socialized healthcare system. American healthcare as it stand currently is a giant mess.

Comment

Personally, I support Obama's plan for a more socialized healthcare system. American healthcare as it stand currently is a giant mess.
                              Have you ever talked to anyone from Canada about their socialized health care program? Sure, drugs are cheaper. But you get whatever doctor is assigned to you rather than who you want, and wait weeks to get an appointment. That's why so many Canadians come to Cleveland for the Cleveland Clinic or University Hospital's superior care. Care like that is not available to the average Canadian. We have some of the best health care in the world, but not necessarily the cheapest. I'd rather pay more for a good doctor than pay less of just anyone who happens to get their license to practice medicine.

You use that logic with the tools you purchase. Wouldn't you want to do the same with your health?
                              Last edited by smorris; 06-23-2008, 09:13 PM.
                              Steve
                              www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

McCain.
                                Obama's economic policy posted here earlier is mostly doublespeak and sophistry. How does he define "working class"? The tax credits are paltry. If you try to soak the "rich" it will backfire. (I do believe most of us will be considered "rich"). And those breaks for "new business startups". How is that defined. "All" business friendly would be better.

But besides all that, when Obama was in the Illinois senate he blocked the partial birth abortion bill from coming to a vote. This wasn't a radical bill. In fact, it had the same wording as the national partial birth abortion bill that was unopposed in the senate (even boxer and snow voted for it).
                                Personally, anybody that's for whacking a fullly formed baby, that is half way in this world, with a pair of scissors in the back of the skull, ain't gonna get my vote.
                                "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                                X