X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who would your kids go to?

In the event that something were to happen to Josh and I up in Alaska, we're not exactly sure who we'd want the boys to go to.
    It's between his sister and brother-in-law...great parents, same values and morals, but they've got two girls (under 3), and one more on the way. Or Josh's parents, who are wonderful, and would love the boys soooo much, but his mother has this chronic pain she's been dealing with for the last 5 years, and chasing after 2 toddlers all day might be too much for her.
    It's much too big a discussion to go into it all on here, but I'm curious, who would you will your kids to?

Re: Who would your kids go to?

It's funny this is a question Brenda and I asked each other when our kids were younger and now my kids talk about it with their kids. First let me say I hope this never happens but good for you for thinking about it now. There was a time where it may have been a good idea for the kids to leave their kids to Brenda and I if something happened. However, as we get older it is becoming more obvious the kids would be a little too much. I would think the way to go would be to leave the kids to the sister knowing Josh's mom would be there to add support. Regardless of what you decide, should anything happen families always find a way to make things work and I am sure your boys would be well taken care of.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I think it's great that you are asking that question and considering the welfare of your children. You are both brave and thoughtful. Personally my daughters are now fourteen and twenty so chances are even the younger one who is in high school would be well cared for by a sister in-law and her husband for the next few years. Parents are often too overwhelmed by other things or fearful of facing this real life possibility to make necessary plans. Having a good will in place and asking potential guardians their willingness to step in are also very important. We hope and pray these things never happen but it is great to be prepared.

Comment

oh Helen! This is sad. After my dad died my mom had arrangements for me to live with my aunt and uncle if something happened to her even though I was extremely close to my grandparents. As I got older and so did my brothers, my mom switched it for me to go stay with my eldest brother if anything happened to her.

I don't know if Rick even knows yet If anything were to happen to my brother and sister-in-law, my niece would come stay with us. It has always been that way. My brother figured my mom would be there to help and I would get her to all the necessary relatives.
        I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
          oh Helen! This is sad. After my dad died my mom had arrangements for me to live with my aunt and uncle if something happened to her even though I was extremely close to my grandparents. As I got older and so did my brothers, my mom switched it for me to go stay with my eldest brother if anything happened to her.

I don't know if Rick even knows yet If anything were to happen to my brother and sister-in-law, my niece would come stay with us. It has always been that way. My brother figured my mom would be there to help and I would get her to all the necessary relatives.
          Yes but where would Rick go if anything ever happened to you?

Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
            Yes but where would Rick go if anything ever happened to you?

Mark
            That is still a problem. Nobody is offering
            I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

You really need to discuss the situation with the possible candidates, all too often we assume that someone would be able to take care of our children out of the sense of duty and respect. This may be the case but you really need to ask first. You should also lay out the life insurance and benefactors during that discussion

Comment

Isn't this why we have god parents? Who are the children,s godparents????
                Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

As of now, the kids (4, 2 in sept) would go to my wife's pareents, in a few years that'll probably change to her sis's.

Very difficult, but important to talk about.

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
                    That is still a problem. Nobody is offering
                    i will take him because he makes me

when my kids were young we asked some good friends that had kids the same age as my kids and they said they would .we went to a lawyer and had the papers drawn up so the friends would get a lump sum of $ so they could fix up there house to make room for two more .then the other $ was set up so they can only get enough $ to pay for what the girls need clothes ,food etc.
                    and the rest of $ will go to the kids when they are older .

even my dogs have a place to go ,down to a farm with friends that have 5 bloodhounds to play with

now with in the last 10 yrs they will go to my sister and the same with the $
                    Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                    http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

you must get it on paper so there is no chance they will go to the state
                      Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                      http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                      http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

you know i'm the first non -blood relative to timothy and titus

joey and i will take good care of them and i'll keep them busy during the day.

at night we can play on the forum.

when they turn 12, i'll put them to work in the summer

teach them the trade and show them how to be a winner

lets not have to go there

but i'm sure there will be plenty of people waiting in line to help the boys.

uncle rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

We drew up our will a couple of years ago. My wife's sister and brother-in-law will get our boys. They are like gold. I hope nothing happens to them, because we will get their son and the trauma of him getting me for a new daddy would probably be overwhelming. My bro-in-law is an engineer his wife is a doctor. I wear my boxer-briefs around the house, fart, burp and generally forget Emily Post.

Comment

Working...
                          X