X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd Amendment Ruling

Finally the Courts get something right:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/06/26/scotus.guns/index.html

So it looks like guns will be legal in DC as long as they are in your home but you will not be able to transport them according to the Mayor. So the question will be how do you bring them home from the gun store or take them to a range? My guess is DC will be back in court soon being sued for not allowing the transportation of the gun.

Mark
    Last edited by ToUtahNow; 06-26-2008, 10:24 PM.
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Re: 2nd Amendment Ruling

Unfortunately the decision was close (5-4).

As usually the local media in my area which Paul Helmke was Mayor and now head of the Brady campaign just showed clips about portraying guns in a negative manor when reporting this story. They also gave information on how to turn in your guns and ammo.

Gun haters need not worry. With the next president, not matter who it is, I predict more gun control/tyranny.
    Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

The DC Gun Ban has been a joke here for 30 years. In that time the homocide rate from hand guns has increased just about every year.

EVERYONE here has a handgun; drug dealers, homeowners, shop keepers the neighbors nanny, you name it. Each and everyone one of them was purchased illegally.

Give me 30 minutes and $50 bucks and I could find you a gun. Yea it might be the gun that killed a cab driver last week or the one that put a hole in the store owner Mr. Yu. Maybe it will be the gun that fired the bullet that ended up in my truck. I even heard gunfire while eating lunch today. Used to be you would only hear it at night. Now I hear it all the time.

The problem is DC is surrounded several states that have very liberal gun laws. The black market is huge and lucrative. How to fix it? Hell, I don't know but allowing the purchase and transportation of them here won't help. That I'm sure of.
      Last edited by plumberscrack; 06-26-2008, 04:24 PM.

Comment

Very complicated issue. If we were dealing with a society of responsible people who took gun ownership seriously I would feel better with more people having guns legally. Unfortunately too many irresponsible people out there, don't secure their homes or guns. We have a high incidence of domestic disputes and with more guns in the home we can all see what that will lead to. I don't trust most drivers on the road to be alert and sober, so I hate to think of these same folks having guns. The flip side to all this is the fact that the bad guys have the guns and law abiding people do not, so do you level the playing field? I say give it a shot!

Comment

I love MN for another reason, we can carry ours with us, proper permit no problems. Some states are just better than others I would guess. So does this mean we have a better Gov. then you do????
          Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
            The DC Gun Ban has been a joke here for 30 years. In that time the homocide rate from hand guns has increased just about every year.

EVERYONE here has a handgun; drug dealers, homeowners, shop keepers the neighbors nanny, you name it. Each and everyone one of them was purchased illegally.

Give me 30 minutes and $50 bucks and I could find you a gun. Yea it might be the gun that killed a cab driver last week or the one that put a hole in the store owner Mr. Yu. Maybe it will be the gun that fired the bullet that ended up in my truck. I even heard gunfire while eating lunch today. Used to be you would only hear it at night. Now I hear it all the time.

The problem is DC is surrounded several states that have very liberal gun laws. The black market is huge and lucrative. How to fix it? Hell, I don't know but allowing the purchase and transportation of them here won't help. That I'm sure of.
            How about right off the bat if you commit a crime while in the possesion of a gun (legal or illegal) you get life in prison.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
              Very complicated issue. If we were dealing with a society of responsible people who took gun ownership seriously I would feel better with more people having guns legally. Unfortunately too many irresponsible people out there, don't secure their homes or guns. We have a high incidence of domestic disputes and with more guns in the home we can all see what that will lead to. I don't trust most drivers on the road to be alert and sober, so I hate to think of these same folks having guns. The flip side to all this is the fact that the bad guys have the guns and law abiding people do not, so do you level the playing field? I say give it a shot!
              The majority of us legal gun owners are responsible, that is a fact. The criminals are going to have guns regardless of what the law states, and if they try to take my LEGAL guns away, I too will be an illegal gun owner as well.

Comment

Originally posted by garager View Post
                I love MN for another reason, we can carry ours with us, proper permit no problems. Some states are just better than others I would guess. So does this mean we have a better Gov. then you do????
                Yes. Your lawmakers are just less liberal.

Comment

not 100% sure but in pa you can have a hand gun in a holster like Clint Eastwood with out a permit .but that does not mean they will not stop you and ask a million questions .
                  Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                  http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                  http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Today is a great day to be an American. We won this all so important second ammendment ruling.

This is going to be George W. Bush's legacy. Say what you want about him, he has made many mistakes during his 7+ years in office. But today sealed his legacy. Had it not been for his appointment of judges Roberts and Alito, 2 centralist conservitives, us gun owners could have had our right to keep and bear arms taken out from under us today.

Take this into consideration as you think about who you will pull the lever for this November, what would have happened today if Al Gore would have won in 2000? Or if Kerry would have won in 2004? We would be looking at a different outcome with the judges they would have appointed.

Its not about the lesser of the 2 evils as I hear people say when they ponder who to vote for. Its an important decision and you should think about who represents your beliefs (or who closer represents them)no matter who it is, as the president's decision CAN impact our way of life.
                    Today is a good day to be an American.
                    Last edited by Masterplumb; 06-26-2008, 06:40 PM.

Comment

I'm happy for the decision but in truth it doesn't mean much. The ruling only covers D.C. which is federal. The ruling, will not have any effect on States rights or for that matter city and local jurisdictions. N.Y. City for example will still be able to make and enforce it's gun laws unless the state supreme courts overrule those decisions. In the mean time I like to follow the advice of G. Gordon Liddy. " Better to be tried by 12 than carried by six"
                      sigpic

Comment

Amendment II

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                          I'm happy for the decision but in truth it doesn't mean much. The ruling only covers D.C. which is federal. The ruling, will not have any effect on States rights or for that matter city and local jurisdictions. N.Y. City for example will still be able to make and enforce it's gun laws unless the state supreme courts overrule those decisions. In the mean time I like to follow the advice of G. Gordon Liddy. " Better to be tried by 12 than carried by six"
                          There has not been any federal change to the right to bear arms since the 1700's. This could have opened the door to change. I disagree, it could have impacted us severely. This is coming from someone who has a pistol license just outside NYC's doorstep.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                            Amendment II

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
                            See amendment 14.

This means little to the rest of the fifty states, Washington DC is not a state, and therefore is not subject to the 14th amendment.

Comment

Originally posted by Killertoiletspider View Post
                              See amendment 14.

This means little to the rest of the fifty states, Washington DC is not a state, and therefore is not subject to the 14th amendment.
                              Maybe so but the constitution and the ammendments pertain to all citizens of the United States of America, and to some Supreme Court Justices, terrorist enemy combatants.

Comment

Working...
                              X