Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Duracell - Made in China

Originally posted by tinmack View Post
    Grab the Energizer lithium batteries on eBay at a wicked price, then get some of those battery adapters so that you can turn those AA's into C's and D's.

I don't know or care where they are made, what I care about is that they have a shelf life of over 10 years and they are made to withstand extreme fluctuations in temperature.

They are the best non-rechargable-type battery I have used. Too bad they only make them in AAA and AA. Then again, get the battery adapters for bigger sizes. Of course, a 9 volt would be great for the smoke detectors.....
    For what this may be worth, take a look at the industrial side of Energizer. Your dream battery for smoke detectors and other electronics is out there waiting for you to come and get it. The ENERGIZER #L522FP ... Please see picture.
    Attached Files

Comment

JimDon,

Please don't take my writing as being directed at you personally, is wasn't. I understand your post and certainly the frustration that we all feel when we do our shopping and find almost everything "Made in China". Personally, I should probably have as much grievance as anyone, because my job is long gone and the factory that my work supported has gone from employing over 3,000 to less than 600!

But I don't blame anyone except the management and our government which paved the way and PAYED the way. I've met and worked with engineers in India and China and Australia and Singapore and the one thing they all seem to echo, is that one of their biggest challenges was that in their part of the world, industry wanted "Made in the U.S.A" because of it's reliability and performance. But in spite of that, our management, with government assistance, transferred our major product lines to India and China... just like so many other American companies.

But I also understand that neither India or China convinced, chided, persuaded, or made any kind of move to steal the business. On the contrary, we did everything necessary to set up operations there, including transferring technogy and bringing some of their people here for training. (The sun had hardly set on the Tiananmen Square massacre when we started "investigating" business opportunities under the GHW Bush's administration. But it took G.W.'s administration to finally make the effort profitable.)

Likewise, the biggest industry in our area opened several plants around the U.S. during the big dot-com boom. Often taking tax incentives from the various communities that they intended to build in. Many times these communities opted for bond issues in order bring their infrastructure up to meeting the demands of this new industry. But when the "dot.coms" crashed, that industry giant simply closed those facilities and walked away, leaving the communities holding the bag, so to speak.

Well, one might think that a lot of industries were hurt and many didn't recover, but this particular giant has since invested $Billions in China and turned it's back on all those U.S. communities that once held the company in promise. Such are the workings of our government in the last eight years.

So, let's not think that China has attacked and invaded our industries and that our government or "a bunch of Neo Cons and economic profiteers" have allowed them to do so. In reality, it is our industry and government who has propositioned them. So I can't find fault with a country who is trying to industrialize itself and bring its people into prosperity. Too bad our country doesn't feel the same way about itself and it's citizens.

CWS
      Last edited by CWSmith; 07-12-2008, 11:17 AM.

Comment

Away from the economics for a question: Does anyone know why there are no 'B" batteries? Are they out there and only available as an industrial, or other, application?

Comment

JC...while i would like to agree that any economic entity, and our country is an economic entity, should seek to completely control its economic destiny, being an admirer of Adam Smith, i want to rely on "the market" to reward effective producers and punish inefficient producers. since the U.S.'s wage base is so much higher than other markets around the world, domestic resources should be allocated to higher value added activities. expanded innovation should relegate nuts and bolts component manufacturing to the lowest cost producers, assuming cosistent quality. this does not apply to production related to products associated with domestic security (it is, after all and unfortunately, a political world).

regarding relative market buying power of production units (i.e., workers), i don't have any statistics on this issue. my gut tells me that non domestic(offshore) workers would be enjoying a better relative wage and standard of living. to the extent an economy is based on easily exported tasks or relatively unskilled labor, the world economy will winnow those producers out of existence.

to end this pontification, the domestic economy better learn to innovate in a value added way or it will be in serious trouble. attempting to legistlate ourselves into economic relevance is a waste of time and resources.
          there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
            Now I really think it would have been better to not howl and start this thread.

The Chinese are the world leader of fireworks making. That's one thing where we USA guys just can't touch them. Oh if we tried hard enough I bet we could do it but then why bother.
            By the time OSHA and the EPA and IRS and ever other regulatory agency would get involved I doubt if they could make anything, that was competitive or usable. with out the cost being prohibitive.

Heck most of you guys pay tax jsut to work, that is all a licence is any way, is another Tax,
            you pay tax to do a job, called a permit is a TAX,
            you pay a inspector to look at the job your licence says you are qualified and knowledgeable on how to do properly, another TAX.
            you pay a TAX on your truck, on its licence TAX,
            you probly pay property TAX,
            you probably pay a Inventory TAX,
            a owner ship tax on your Equipment, TAX.
            and then you pay sales TAX,
            and income TAX
            workmans comp TAX
            SS TAX
            fuel TAX
            You many even have to pay tolls another TAX,
            and most by unfunded mandates you have to carry INSURANCE and in some cases being BONDED,

I wander if the job is not 50% plus, in TAX, and then you have GOVERNMENTAL rules that tell you how to do some thing, (I still remember plumber cracks story on digging a trench they have the regulations padded where it takes 4 people) to do a one person $600 job, in our area. end result a 10 fold increases in cost. You can argue CODES all day long but it is simple to see there is a lot of differences on what different places require and how they are in forced, one place allows one thing or method and the other does not, different joints allowed here and not there, arguments on nearly ever aspect of the trades, (how many are really public safety, how many are labor producers, when new and easier materials are now available, how many are materials sellers, how many are politics and Union based).
            which in many instances RAISE the COST of how a JOB is done,

I wonder why companies pull up and move to some place where they have some leeway on how to do things and not taxed and revenued and regulated to death.

When the GOVERNMENT IS TAKING 50% plus of your work and putting in or accepting regulations that raise the cost to the consumer (and most of the time in disguises of public safety), If they REGULATE and Control YOU they make money off of you it is that simple, the more control the more they make. (yes there is some public safety woven into the regulations other wise the ploy would not work, no I am not saying all regulations are bad but not all are needed, common sense goes a long way),
            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            attributed to Samuel Johnson
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
              For what this may be worth, take a look at the industrial side of Energizer. Your dream battery for smoke detectors and other electronics is out there waiting for you to come and get it. The ENERGIZER #L522FP ... Please see picture.

Thanks for the heads up Woussko - I appreciate it very much!!
              I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

For anyone wanting the 9 Volt Lithium cell Energizer battery, if you have a hard time finding it, I see that Allied Electronics has it on their web site. It's not cheap. Also it's not currently a stock item. That would mean you have to call them up and ask if it can be ordered in. I'll keep looking for other places as I'm sure there's stock of it somewhere.

https://www.alliedelec.com/Search/Pr...=&SEARCH=&MPN= (Not currently in stock)

Newark Electronics - No longer stocked ... GRRRRR

There is another popular brand called "UltraLife" that's had out 9 Volt Lithium cell batteries for some time. If you can't find the Energizer you might look for them. If memory is correct I think maybe Radio Shack had them. There is a problem with shipping Lithium batteries where FedEx, UPS and USPS claim they are dangerous and sometimes explode. I wonder about that as long as they aren't shorted out or in a very hot location.
                Last edited by Woussko; 07-13-2008, 11:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR PLUMBING View Post
                  The current quality of batteries from 8 years ago is truly significant. That's why you see those large packs at HD and Lowe's for cheap cheap.

It's because they know you'll be back to buy more.

My camera I believe eats batteries, not uses them.

To graze the political point of view on this matter with a sawed off shotgun,

"Made in China" is 3 words we've seen for years. The cheap labor capital of the world. Nothing done here in the states on an hourly is less than let's say,

$6/hour?

How can you literally compete with labor wages under $2/hour in that scenario? You can't.

I bet before this thread gets a couple years old and depending on who ends up in office this next four, we might see another minimum wage increase which will be the compliment for the working poor who can't afford what high fuel prices created. I'm rambling, time to end this
                  The Asian country(China to micronesia) may pay as low as .27 an hour.Their books will show a charge to the American Co.they are manufacturing for a US label exactly $6.00.
                  I was told this from a contract writer that frequents all the asian countries/companies that make textile products for him that you see in all of the elite sporting goods magazines.

Dunbar..Not rambling

Comment

Mining old topics here, Adam?

No matter - Old thread but new technology.

For anyone buying rechargeable batteries, I highly recommend Panasonic Eneloop rechargeable batteries. The AA are 2,000 mAh, and the AAA are 800 mAh.

What makes the Eneloop different is that it comes pre-charged, and will maintain 85% of its charge after two year storage. Nothing worse than rechargeables with no charge when you need them. Costoc carries a bundle with AA, AAA, charger, and sleeves to use them as C or D size for a good price. And Amazon carries the Costco bundle as well as bulk batteries. We've got a bunch and use them for all devices that consume lots of batteries.

Oh, and they are made in Japan, too.
                    Steve
                    www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

Originally posted by smorris View Post
                      Mining old topics here, Adam?

No matter - Old thread but new technology.

For anyone buying rechargeable batteries, I highly recommend Panasonic Eneloop rechargeable batteries. The AA are 2,000 mAh, and the AAA are 800 mAh.

What makes the Eneloop different is that it comes pre-charged, and will maintain 85% of its charge after two year storage. Nothing worse than rechargeables with no charge when you need them. Costoc carries a bundle with AA, AAA, charger, and sleeves to use them as C or D size for a good price. And Amazon carries the Costco bundle as well as bulk batteries. We've got a bunch and use them for all devices that consume lots of batteries.

Oh, and they are made in Japan, too.
                      Hi-ya Steve.
                      What the heck you been doing with yourself.
                      Polishing that garage floor?
                      Counting ammo boxes?
                      Ice spikes on the scooter?

Comment

Originally posted by billmoy View Post
                        Our current administration is the first to wage a war without increasing taxes.

They are funding the war by selling U. S. Treasury bonds to China and expediting importation of their manufactured goods.

I think that we should all sign up for courses in Mandarin Chinese looking for the day that they call the debts due and payable.
                        You're quite right about what is going on. However, actually, the Viet Nam war was the first that wasn't paid for by direct taxation, or by pushing war bonds on the population and all that. The huge expansion of the money supply due to Viet Nam created an international "run" on the US gold reserves. Even though Citizens were at the time prohibited from owning Gold, up until that point other nations could in fact redeeem their dollars for gold, and they were doing so at the giveaway price of $35 per ounce. Nixon had no choice, based on the run, other than to end the agreements that made gold redeemable by the other countries. This was also when the US went off the gold standard. There was a previous international agreeement that stipulated that since the US was on the gold standard, other countries would therefore be a dollar standard and settle their international debt in dollars. SiInce the buck was convertible to gold, they were essentially on a gold standard. But when Nixon took us off the gold standard, esentially the entire developed free world became one of fiat currency... backed by absolutely nothing. It was the beginning of the end. Btw, the problem was NOT Nixon's... he had no choice. The problem was due to Kennedy and Johnson that waged a very expensive and immensely unpopular war but for political reasons didn't want the cost to be reflected in taxes. Nixon merely got the result of that political stupidity.

However, the truth is that the Governemnt, then AND now, is raising taxes to pay for that debt. Whenever the Fed prints money, it devalues every dollar in circulation. That's exactly the same thing as taxing the population. The increase in the money supply has gone wild. We are (despite the governments very misleading CPI figures) seeing inflation in areas like insurance and health care costs, cars, stock market, and commodity prices such as food, precious metals, oil (of course) natural gas, industrial metals, etc.

The Federal Government has become the master of deceit. Just recently, the made a huge fuss over the "victory" associated with the compromise reached on the Bush tax cut extension. All the while, the printing presses were running, taxing everyone that has any dollars. So was it a real tax cut?

The Government says there is little to no inflation, and that this is all baloney. Well, they are lying, plain and simple. First, it's a fundamental economic principle. Second, other countries recognize this and are very upset about having the US debt they hold paid in debased dollars (China requested payment in gold, which we didn't do, and the Saudis and Japanese are squealing loudest). Third, the point is that inflation is techically NOT the same as "price increases". Rising prices are a symptom of inflation, which is the inflation of the money supply. Once the money moves out of the banks into circulation, we will see inflation. Right now, we are seeing only the tip of the iceberg because credit remains tight. IPrice increases will be a delayed reaction to the currency inflation. Think of it like a man that jumps off a skyscraper, and all the way down says "so far, so good".

Purposely-generated inflation is a way for the government to pay debt service with dollars that are less valuable than the ones they borrowed. This is a strategy, but it is one that other countries have lived with since they want access to our consumer markets. They are starting to be fed up with our GOvernment's and Federal Reserve shenanigans, and see that the irresponsible US policies are succeeding not only in ruining the US economy, but also in exporting these problems all throughout the world. Other countries' banks are all too willing participants - wealth is neithier reated nor destroyed by money maniupulations... it is simply transferred. The beneficiaries are for the most part the financial people, who neither know nor care about national boundaries.

Comment

BHD wrote:

>> "By the time OSHA and the EPA and IRS and ever other regulatory agency would get involved I doubt if they could make anything, that was competitive or usable. with out the cost being prohibitive.

"Heck most of you guys pay tax jsut to work, that is all a licence is any way, is another Tax,
                          "you pay tax to do a job, called a permit is a TAX,
                          "you pay a inspector to look at the job your licence says you are qualified and knowledgeable on how to do properly, another TAX.
                          "you pay a TAX on your truck, on its licence TAX,
                          "you probly pay property TAX,
                          "you probably pay a Inventory TAX,
                          "a owner ship tax on your Equipment, TAX.
                          "and then you pay sales TAX,
                          "and income TAX
                          "workmans comp TAX
                          "SS TAX
                          "fuel TAX
                          "You many even have to pay tolls another TAX,
                          "and most by unfunded mandates you have to carry INSURANCE and in some cases being BONDED,

"I wander if the job is not 50% plus, in TAX, and then you have GOVERNMENTAL rules that tell you how to do some thing, (I still remember plumber cracks story on digging a trench they have the regulations padded where it takes 4 people) to do a one person $600 job, in our area. end result a 10 fold increases in cost. You can argue CODES all day long but it is simple to see there is a lot of differences on what different places require and how they are in forced, one place allows one thing or method and the other does not, different joints allowed here and not there, arguments on nearly ever aspect of the trades, (how many are really public safety, how many are labor producers, when new and easier materials are now available, how many are materials sellers, how many are politics and Union based).

"I wonder why companies pull up and move to some place where they have some leeway on how to do things and not taxed and revenued and regulated to death.

"When the GOVERNMENT IS TAKING 50% plus of your work and putting in or accepting regulations that raise the cost to the consumer (and most of the time in disguises of public safety), If they REGULATE and Control YOU they make money off of you it is that simple, the more control the more they make. (yes there is some public safety woven into the regulations other wise the ploy would not work, no I am not saying all regulations are bad but not all are needed, common sense goes a long way),"

Labor cost advantages are not the main reason manufacturing has moved offshore. The labor content in the products is, on a per-product basis, not very much. This is not 1850 when everything was made by skilled labor, one at a time. Product costs today are dominated by material costs, factory overhead costs and government costs (taxes and cost of regulatory compliance).

Labor cost is a reason given to convince the American public that this is somehow OUR fault. In a sense, it is, since we as the voting public allowed it to happen.

The largest reason we are losing manufacturing jobs is over-regulation and over-taxation.

We have essentially created a non-level paying field for ourselves, in possibly one of the stupidest self-destructive economic manuevers in history.
                          Last edited by Andy_M; 01-22-2011, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy_M View Post
                            BHD wrote:

>> "By the time OSHA and the EPA and IRS and ever other regulatory agency would get involved I doubt if they could make anything, that was competitive or usable. with out the cost being prohibitive.

"Heck most of you guys pay tax jsut to work, that is all a licence is any way, is another Tax,
                            "you pay tax to do a job, called a permit is a TAX,
                            "you pay a inspector to look at the job your licence says you are qualified and knowledgeable on how to do properly, another TAX.
                            "you pay a TAX on your truck, on its licence TAX,
                            "you probly pay property TAX,
                            "you probably pay a Inventory TAX,
                            "a owner ship tax on your Equipment, TAX.
                            "and then you pay sales TAX,
                            "and income TAX
                            "workmans comp TAX
                            "SS TAX
                            "fuel TAX
                            "You many even have to pay tolls another TAX,
                            "and most by unfunded mandates you have to carry INSURANCE and in some cases being BONDED,

"I wander if the job is not 50% plus, in TAX, and then you have GOVERNMENTAL rules that tell you how to do some thing, (I still remember plumber cracks story on digging a trench they have the regulations padded where it takes 4 people) to do a one person $600 job, in our area. end result a 10 fold increases in cost. You can argue CODES all day long but it is simple to see there is a lot of differences on what different places require and how they are in forced, one place allows one thing or method and the other does not, different joints allowed here and not there, arguments on nearly ever aspect of the trades, (how many are really public safety, how many are labor producers, when new and easier materials are now available, how many are materials sellers, how many are politics and Union based).

"I wonder why companies pull up and move to some place where they have some leeway on how to do things and not taxed and revenued and regulated to death.

"When the GOVERNMENT IS TAKING 50% plus of your work and putting in or accepting regulations that raise the cost to the consumer (and most of the time in disguises of public safety), If they REGULATE and Control YOU they make money off of you it is that simple, the more control the more they make. (yes there is some public safety woven into the regulations other wise the ploy would not work, no I am not saying all regulations are bad but not all are needed, common sense goes a long way),"

Labor cost advantages are not the main reason manufacturing has moved offshore. The labor content in the products is, on a per-product basis, not very much. This is not 1850 when everything was made by skilled labor, one at a time. Product costs today are dominated by material costs, factory overhead costs and government costs (taxes and cost of regulatory compliance).

Labor cost is a reason given to convince the American public that this is somehow OUR fault. In a sense, it is, since we as the voting public allowed it to happen.

The largest reason we are losing manufacturing jobs is over-regulation and over-taxation.

We have essentially created a non-level paying field for ourselves, in possibly one of the stupidest self-destructive economic manuevers in history.
                            Andy, labor cost and liability is part of the problem but I agree with your reasons of over-regulation and over-taxation. Can you foresee a move to change these things by our leaders? I just wonder how long we can sustain our economy if things don't turn around?

Comment

Frank, I have been around too long and been disappointed far too many times to have any expectations from Wahington. I do think that some (not all) of our congressional reps listen. Mine is a demo and I believe from some of the lengthy replies I've gotten that some of these views are sinking in.

Even Obama himself was pushing for corporate tax cuts just a couple months ago. That's absolutely the last thing you would expect from a Demo, and especially that particular demo... but he did it. Why? His other silly ideas, promoted not by him (most politicians know as much about economics as they do about open heart surgery)
                              but by Bernanke and Geithner, are having absolutely no effect. Except of course to make the execs on Wall Street richer(er), guarantee price inflation, and seriously raise the ire of the rest of the world.

Well, Washington politicians don't give a rat's fuzzy tush about you or me, but they DO want to get re-elected. November put the handwriting on the wall. So I fully agree with your stirring the pot idea. I hope that many are not just writing to the paper, but writing to their congressperson at least monthly.

As I see it, it is critically important for We The People to have a good understanding of where we are, what caused us (really) to be in this pickle and to make our voices heard. If we don't do this, the politicians (remember, they have no idea what to do... most of them have no idea how the banking system operates) will listen to the Washington "experts"... the very same people that made the blunders that put us where we are today. We will get more stifling regulation and larger government. We will kick the can down the road... possibly getting some near term relief but making the real problem much, much worse. Look at health care as an example. We desperately needed health care reform to fix a system that is broken. We got a 6000 page bill that invents something like 150 new government oversight agencies, and increases the cost or insurance. That's what happens whenever we look to the Government to get involved. What we need to do is tell them to restructure some of their activities to incentivize US production, make it tax-advantageous to produce in the US, ditch the stupid and non-productive regulations... and then get out of the way! A proper business climate will take care of unemployment. All the Bernanke/Obama nonsense hasn't and won't.

We can't afford to trust that Washington will do something smart. They almost never do anything smart.... they add more stupid regulations that address the wrong things and invariably make things worse, while lining the pockets of the financial insiders. They believe their "advisors" amd "experts", who steer money to special interests and will all end up retiring to fat consulting contracts with Morgan Stanley after Obama is out. And you and I, as usual, will be left holding the bag.

One thing I am sure of... if we ask for more Government, we'll get it... and that is the last thing we want or need. If that starts to be the trend, I think at that point there is truly no hope.

Comment

Working...
                              X