Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wooden's Big fat rant--no politics!

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
    Woodenstickers...you sound like me right before I quit my job and started my own business. With your excellent work ethic and high standards of customer service, you might just be the self-employed type!? Maybe think about going out on your own, is that something you would enjoy or would it be a headache for you? Make a plan to do it if it feels right.
    I have to admit, guys like you on this forum are inspiring and make that option seem a lot more viable. If only I could figure out how to get people to clog their cabinets, or have an emergency leak! I'd feel a lot more safe about it if I knew there was a real need for my work like you plumbers have. You guys are essential to a healthy home, my line is more of a luxury that can be put off. But that's why you guys deserve the big bucks.
    A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Comment

Originally posted by woodenstickers View Post
      I know, I should. I have turned down so much side work because they keep me pretty busy and I signed a form promising not to take leads from HD customers. But I am the only one I know who honors that commitment. I'm a fool. That's the truth of it.
      You still have your ethics and at the end of the day, that counts more than the fast money. Maybe I'm a fool too, but I think that if I give up my ethics, I've got nothing left. I can eat mac n cheese and still be happy. Swimming in cash making deals with the devil ain't my style.
      I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
        Since you work hard and take pride in your work I'm sure you'll be successful whatever you decide to do. Opening your own business is a big plunge, that I personally am not looking to do; and I know it isn't for everybody [I get the sense that it isn't for you either; you would rather spend time doing a quality install than selling, thinking about expenses; etc.]

I'm just guessing here, the answer might be to go to a higher-end outfit though that servies a different market. I know that your cabinet refacing is beautiful, but I tend to think of cabinet refacing as a way to save money over new cabinets; and I am sure that other people do too. If you can get a job with someone installing truly custom cabinets; the focus may be in the other direction instead of banging out lots of jobs (that are by definition with cheap customers), you would do fewer more expensive jobs that might have a higher expectation of quality.

Anyway good luck. It probably helps just to rant.

Also, that the ring showed up substandard is just unacceptable. There is just no excuse for that. I hope they make it right for you quickly.

Thanks, man. You are right on across the board. I did talk to the jeweler and they seem pretty eager to make it right. I have faith in them to make good on their word. Could have just been a bad day for the goldsmith, we all have those.

Comment

Originally posted by VASandy View Post
          I used to work for a major computer server manufacturer. I was the "sales engineer". That translates into installation manager/customer manager/bottle-washer. The servers I spec'd never came in properly. I had to fly to San Fran on a regular basis and babysit the actual builders (subbed out to several companies) for EVERY order. And even THEN the stuff wouldn't arrive with the proper parts. At least the servers were configured properly. The company itself made the cables. They NEVER were right. I spent days redoing server racks and making cables for each and every install. I had to arrive on the customer site with a hacksaw and dremel so that I could cut and shape the server racks for the equipment that was sent, since usually the wrong rack was sent for the order. Then I'd get **** for not properly ordering cables and racks. I always felt that since I was the only female in our group, they always figured it was my fault. My customers loved my work. Everything was done properly when I left. Servers were installed, working, tested, and the cabling was neat and tidy. The racks were nice-looking and all cuts were sanded and painted. In other words, they got a total custom install (usually thousands of servers) that they could show off. Usually no one but the server monkeys (the tech crew for the customer) ever saw the servers, but they were done right!! I knew I could walk away and the customer had a server farm that would run, run right, and stay running for a long time. I worked as hard as I possible could, stayed up all night at times to make things right.

I got fired.

I run my own business now.

The other sales engies for the company felt the same way as I did. The only difference is the other engies just did the install and made the company re do every mistake while they went off and made more sales that would go wrong. I suppose I could have done that. If I swallowed my pride and submarined my ethics. Maybe I'm a perfectionist, but I think if I'm paid to do a job, it should be done right. Not surprisingly, soon after I left that server company their stock dumped by more than 80%. Customer complaints piled up and there wasn't time or personnel to fix the stuff. It's too bad, since the equipment the R&D department thought up was really inspired.

I've ranted enough...sorry Eli. I guess this is just to show you that you're not alone. Running a business is scary. Speaking of....I have a computer customer to go see!!

Good luck, my friend. I hope you can work out the problems. If I could hire you, I would!!

It really does help to know I'm not alone. It did help just to rant a bit too, really I am mostly a pretty contend guy and have a lot to be happy about day to day. Just Cadillac problems as they say! But believe me, I will keep your story in my mind and remember it when I need to make that inevitable move. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Masterplumb View Post
            It should always be quality over quanity but it doesnt always work out that way. If you are working on commision alone then you need to find that right mix of quality and quantity, not an easy task to do. As long as you stay working for this big box, sadly, you will probably have to sacrifice SOME of your quality to make more money. If money is NOT an issue then just keep doing what you are doing. Good luck
            You are right. I have to admit, even though I slammed my company yesterday, my branch office does appreciate what I do enough to make sure that I am well fed and get decent jobs, and that number one spot that is held by the faster less...umm...careful guy takes all the heat from the other installers who are fighting for the rest of the work so I fly under the radar.

I still wish the measure and manufacture could get their crap together because if not for their stupid errors I could be making another $20 grand this years easily, but I'm doing all right. I'll keep doing this until I can find a better gig. I'm giving myself till the end of the summer.

Comment

Originally posted by VASandy View Post
              You still have your ethics and at the end of the day, that counts more than the fast money. Maybe I'm a fool too, but I think that if I give up my ethics, I've got nothing left. I can eat mac n cheese and still be happy. Swimming in cash making deals with the devil ain't my style.
              I agree 100%. I sleep very well.

Comment

Eli, What would it be like for you to try hard to find a small owner operated service based company in your area where the boss does in fact care about quality work?

The people that do work hard and honest may not make that much $$$ but along the way they build up a reputation. When a customer remembers your special work ethics and the quality of your work he/she will ask for you. Remember it won't be the Yaupo Schight but rather someone who's grunted and groaned doing hard work and knows you're not just there to take his/her $$$ and run.

So what if there are only a few that do believe in and try hard to follow "The Golden Rule"? I also believe in the second part of this rule. "Thou shalt be done on to you as you have done on to others." It means if you are good to me I'll be good to you, but poop on me and I'm gonna sooner or later show up at your place and dump tons of raw sewage in your yard. Well, maybe not really but I would sure feel like it. Now on the other hand if you worked hard, did a wonderful job and I was happy, you would have gained a friend. Think about that and you'll get my point. It's not the $$$ but the people caring about each other and the world that matter.

Enough of Woussko's howling again.

Comment

Hey bro,
                  I felt the same way. I started my own shop and then went back to work for someone else. It's great because my boss is even more of a perfectionist than I am. I have fixed stuff that was horrible looking, and gotten compliments from the customer to boot, and my boss will still nitpick it. Now I mostly work in nuke and coal burner power plants where my thouroughness, safety consciousness and attention to detail are invaluable assets that make for a lot of happy customers and lot of billable T&M hours for us. Don't ever sear your conscience by doing half-assed work. The Bible tells us that a good name is better than gold. Keep your name shining

Comment

Working...
                  X