X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Hepa Filter for RIDGID Wet/Dry Vac

Bought a RIDGID Hepa filter (5 layer) at Home Depot yesterday. The box says: "Fits ALL 5-20 gallon RIDGID Wet/Dry Vacs" - but it doesn't fit my RIDGID 6 gallon Wet/Dry Vac (model WD0600).

There is no closure at the bottom of the new hepa filter and this would allow unfiltered contaminants to be exhausted from the vac.

Any recommendations other than jury rigging the new filter or buying a new RIDGID 6 gallon Wet/Dry Vac?

Regards,
    John

Re: Need Hepa Filter for RIDGID Wet/Dry Vac

Hey John,

I'm afraid you may have done the same thing I did when I first got my vac. The "closure" on the bottom is actually a reusable piece that gets transfered from the old filter to the new one. The first time I cleaned mine out I didn't know that and I think I either tapped it off into the compactor at work or threw it out. You have to remove the nut AND the plate each time you clean out the filter.

Now if you have a vac that has the shorter filter size like the tool-box shaped pro-pak it also will not take the "regular" sized filter--even if you do save the plate. There is a special short filter just for those models, no matter what the box on the other filter says.

Hope this helps.

Eli
    A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Comment

Thanks Eli,

The filter plate on my original filter is actually connected (glued) to the filter itself - there is no filter plate on the WD0600 unit. I believe filter plates started with the next model.

And, yes, the original filter is the shorter version, or at least it is shorter than the RIDGID hepa replacement filter.

Any suggestions?

Regards
      John

Comment

Originally posted by woodenstickers View Post
        Hey John,

I'm afraid you may have done the same thing I did when I first got my vac. The "closure" on the bottom is actually a reusable piece that gets transfered from the old filter to the new one. The first time I cleaned mine out I didn't know that and I think I either tapped it off into the compactor at work or threw it out. You have to remove the nut AND the plate each time you clean out the filter.

Now if you have a vac that has the shorter filter size like the tool-box shaped pro-pak it also will not take the "regular" sized filter--even if you do save the plate. There is a special short filter just for those models, no matter what the box on the other filter says.

Hope this helps.

Eli
        I think that we've all had this learning experience with the vacuum filter. I remember it well my first time and trying to figure out where the additional parts were in the box that was now empty when the filter was removed. I also had knocked it off when I was tapping the filter to remove the big stuff from the filtering paper. Finally retrieved it from the trash can and fired it up. It's happened to others in my shop who have cleaned the filters too, so it kinda gets everyone once.

Comment

I think you're running into the famous "Changed Filter Mounting" issue others have run into. There is a parts kit that can be used for this, but if you really want a quality HEPA filter cartridge that means you're most likely sucking up fine dust. You will also want to be able to use paper collection bags. I would strongly recommend buying a new vac that can use the newer bags and filters. The problem is that Ridgid doesn't make such in a 6 gallon or near that size model. If you don't mind frequent filter cleaning you may want to look at the model WD0635 which is the updated version of your 6 gallon vac and using it with the VF6000 filter. Another idea would be to go over to CleanStream filters which are superior to any that Ridgid has. They do make them for the current drum style Ridgid vacs.

Another idea and one that I personally would look into is going over to ShopVac brand. Their selection is far greater as far as the vac, bags, filters and accessories go. They don't make other products. The issue comes with quality as ShopVac makes some real junk, but then they also make good vacs as well. You may want to look at the following links for some ideas.

Do you by any chance have loads of very fine dust to clean up on a regular basis? If yes, then I recommend a real industrial grade vacuum and Milwaukee has some models that are great machines. They are costly and are only really for a serious user. I can post info if you want.

ShopVac brand vacs in close to 6 gallon size that aren't junky. Don't be turned away by the so called horsepower rating. This one uses a 2 stage fan assembly and a pretty good motor to spin them. This works nicer for fine dust and 1-1/4" hose than a single stage model would. Higher velocity air flow and less noise.
          http://shopvac.com/vacs/detail.asp?I...index&StoreID=

Fine dust collection bags for it. (Lowes has lower prices than buying direct)
          http://shopvac.com/detail.asp?id=429

Super nice HEPA cartridge filter for above vac series and many other models of genuine ShopVac drum vacs. This is the serious HEPA filter and it really washes nice under running water in reverse. That is flowing from the inside outward. Soak in dish washing detergent and water for a few minutes (in a pail add 1 teaspoon liquid detergent to 1 - 2 gallons of warm water) then rinse well with cold water in the sink and allow to dry out overnight. Gently tap loose dirt off and also brush it off with a soft brush and then wash it clean. Do the dry cleaning part outdoors.
          http://shopvac.com/detail.asp?id=332

I hope this helps you out. Please post more about just what you have in mind in the way of work for your vac. In addition Sears has a better selection of filters and accessories that will work on Ridgid vacs than does Home Depot. Emerson Electric is behind both Ridgid and many Craftsman vacs.

Comment

Woussko - totally awesome answer. Thanks. I will probably look at the ShopVac and retire my RIDGID - didn't even know that bags were available.

Regards
            John

Comment

Just be careful about which model of ShopVac you go for. The one I linked you to is part of their good line and not the cheapo junk sold in the big box stores. If you only will be using it now and then maybe one from Lowes would work good enough. I personally would rather pay more and get a better made machine. The paper bags (yellow are the good ones) can be rather costly but how nice it is not having the mess of dumping the drum. In case the bag does bust that's where the good filter really helps big time. Normally it just catches some fine dust that passes through the paper bag.

What I like about ShopVac brand is their good customer support. You can call them Monday - Friday and speak to someone that does know about vacuum cleaners. You can buy any manor of attachment or accessory direct from them off their web site and they do make loads of hoses and attachments based on cleaning needs. Something that I like is to get the big 2-1/2" hose for hogging up big stuff directly into the drum. In that case I change over to the more simple and cheaper filter. For wet pickup it's nice to have a spare of the economy paper cartridge filter. When done just remove and wash it. Then put your HEPA filter back in along with a yellow bag and you're ready to suck up the fine dust. Once you get the hang of it all you'll wonder why RIDGID isn't thinking more about how to really make and sell shop vacs. They have some learning to do. The difference is that ShopVac, Corp is about making dirt eater machines and nothing but. Some day Ridgid (really Emerson Electric) may come around. They did far better with Craftsman at Sears. You may want to look there too while you're at it.

The good 6 gallon ShopVac may have to be ordered. I don't think it's one you'll find locally. There is a dealer list with the link to it as to where to get one form. Check dealers for pricing and stock. Good luck

Comment

Working...
              X