X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honey bees

Anyone here have honey bees or know much about them?
    3yrs ago I had 18 hives. All but 2 died that winter.
    I was able to split one hive that year so I ended up with 3.
    Those 3 ended up dieing at the very end of winter.
    I ended up leaving the hives empty but together in the hopes of attracting a swarm. Over the last year I noticed a lot of robbing going on but nobody stayed of course.
    Yesterday I noticed a lot of activity. Looked like they were just robbing again. I checked today and noticed the young bees cleaning and fanning.
    Once the sun went down I checked again and sure enough the hive is busy.
    I know this hive has to be filthy so I want to get in and clean before they decide to find another place but I want to give them a chance to get established before I turn their world upside down
    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Re: Honey bees

My dad was a bee keeper for probably 10 years when I was a kid. I will have to pick is brain a bit.

Comment

josh, you home?

joey's family's dog got stung by a bee yesterday. went into anaphylactic shock. $1500 later and the dog is ok.

been stung 3 times and 2 were from a soda pop can. 1 in the tongue

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

My son-in law took some bee keeping courses from the cooperative extension service in Massachuttes. When he finished his course we joked he had a Ph.B. If you have a cooperative extension service provider near you that might be a resource.

-Tom

Comment

Gene,
          Google: Monsanto and honey bees.
          I think you'll find it interesting to say the least. Better living thru
          chemistry = BS.
          Monsanto and Bayer for that matter haven't done us any good with GmOs.
          When, not if, we lose the bees, we are going to lose our food supply, and then all he!! is going to break loose. Hope you have some luck with your hives. We're all going to need it.
          Jim Don
          PS. There's also a he!! of an article about Monsanto's tactics either in Vanity Fair or some other big national magazine. I found it by accident one night. Shouldn't be hard to get a hit on it though. Tells you a lot about the company and the mental midgets that run it. Can you spell Gestapo?

Comment

Gene,
            I looked for the article after I posted. It's here: http://www.vanityfair.com/politics/f...monsanto200805

Cheers,
            Jim

Comment

Originally posted by JimDon View Post
              Gene,
              Google: Monsanto and honey bees.
              I think you'll find it interesting to say the least. Better living thru
              chemistry = BS.
              Monsanto and Bayer for that matter haven't done us any good with GmOs.
              When, not if, we lose the bees, we are going to lose our food supply, and then all he!! is going to break loose. Hope you have some luck with your hives. We're all going to need it.
              Jim Don
              PS. There's also a he!! of an article about Monsanto's tactics either in Vanity Fair or some other big national magazine. I found it by accident one night. Shouldn't be hard to get a hit on it though. Tells you a lot about the company and the mental midgets that run it. Can you spell Gestapo?
              I don't know if you would call it fate or dumb luck but I have a brother in-law who is a financial expert. He sets up investment portfolios for companies and rich folks. I don't begin to understand it all but he gave me two stock tips in all the time I've known him and as it turns out I'm glad I did not take them. They could have made me plenty of money but I have a conscience and that's more important than money! First stock was Monsanto which was in the low $60 dollar range, I think it's more than double that now. Next was XOM (Big Oil) I passed on this one because I figure investing in oil futures just raises the price we pay. I am thankful for the eye opening information you have provided about Monsanto. I want nothing to do with such a company. This situation sounds very serious, hope something is done to avert what has been predicted.

Comment

I know someone that worked for Monsanto.
                If you think they don't care about the poisons they expose us to then you should hear some of the horror stories they put their employees through.
                I get a kick out of discussions that involve what kind of chemicals are in the sewer. The answer is EVERYTHING! Monsanto routinely dumps.
                INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

I have seen reports that some think Cell phones are messing up there navigation systems,
                  http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...30/detail.html

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...ll+phones+bees
                  Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                  attributed to Samuel Johnson
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
                    Anyone here have honey bees or know much about them?
                    3yrs ago I had 18 hives. All but 2 died that winter.
                    I was able to split one hive that year so I ended up with 3.
                    Those 3 ended up dieing at the very end of winter.
                    I ended up leaving the hives empty but together in the hopes of attracting a swarm. Over the last year I noticed a lot of robbing going on but nobody stayed of course.
                    Yesterday I noticed a lot of activity. Looked like they were just robbing again. I checked today and noticed the young bees cleaning and fanning.
                    Once the sun went down I checked again and sure enough the hive is busy.
                    I know this hive has to be filthy so I want to get in and clean before they decide to find another place but I want to give them a chance to get established before I turn their world upside down
                    Don't worry about the bees in the hive, they will clean it up better than you can. You might want to check into feeding them some sugar water syrup. Because there isn't much for them to get necter from right now, at least where I'm at.
                    You might want to google for a few different forums on bees as there are plenty of them around, but two stand out to me, Beesource and Beemaster International. These two have plenty of info on keeping bees.
                    Sounds like yours died from mites and the last two died from starvation if they died at the end of winter.

Good luck with your bees and see if there is a beekeeping association close to you for you to join, best info is from a beekeeper close to you.
                    sigpicTN. State Certified Bee Inspector
                    Computer Repair
                    Retired Construction

Comment

Around here, Hive Collapse Syndrome is a big worry. Bees are so important to the food growth of our country, and this area is mostly rural farming. I'm hoping to have a bee-keeper come to talk to our Lion's Club about what's going on. I hadn't heard about Monsanto before, but I'll definitely do some research on that.

Good luck with your hive, Gene. I hope the new colony sticks around for a while. If anyone wants to know what to do to encourage honey bees, Haagen-Dazs has a great website devoted to the honey bee problems and what people can do to help.
                      I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

My 10 month old son was stung by a honey bee this past Saturday. He tried to eat it!

Comment

Deantn:
                          4yrs ago I started with two hives along with my old neighbor. Then he got a touch of the OCD or something and with in weeks he had 60 plus hives.
                          Then he and his wife split up and he moved out. I helped him load his tractor and as many hives as we could fit in a U- Haul. In return he gave me the hives he couldn't fit. I would have preferred to leave them in place for the winter and move them over to my place in spring but his EX is an evil woman and she would have more then likely killed them all. So it was worth the risk to move them during the coldest month of the year(January). Mites, starvation and, improper winterizing got the best of them.

The last hives to did die from starvation, even though they still had plenty of honey left. They would not break cluster. I peeked on them real quick on a 40* day and determined I needed to get things in order to work them ASAP. The next day it rained and continued to rain and stay cold for two weeks. When it finely dried up, it was too late.

The new hive is doing grate. VERY mellow hive. I got into them last week for the first time and they did a wonderful job cleaning. I had to replace the bottom board as it was chocked off. It's been pretty humid here lately so friday I lifted the inner cover and placed some Popsicle sticks under it and pulled two frames just to check them out ( tons of brood, grate pattern) and never smoked them as they were calm as could be.
                          I hope to get into them some time this week and really work them for the first time now that they are established.
                          I did find the Beesource forum and am now a member. Wish I had found that a few yrs ago

SANDY:
                          Thanks. Do you have Bees?

egecko:
                          Cute kid. At least he has an excuse being less then a year old. I got stung last night because, like a dummy, I went to watch them with no shoes on. Yep, right in the foot

Comment

Working...
                          X