Is $280 to $340 The Correct Hourly Price

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is $280 to $340 The Correct Hourly Price

Who said we're not getting anywhere? I think this is the best input.
    Johnny 5 need more input (Short Circuit movie)
    Everyone has posted positive thoughts.
    Lets try to come to a conclusive (at least close decision).
    We can design a worksheet and try to find a bench mark.
    I did this in several forums and eventually many people see that they are charging too little. When you see something very clearly, you have no problem conveying this pessage to your customer through your mannerism, price book, sales approach and a lot more.
    This forum is to help people make more money. Lets do it!
    Lets get the job done once and for all

Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
      The short threads are short because the topics are boring.
      They are short because people didn't go off topic, argue, or repeat themselves back and forth. Topic rarely plays a part in this
      I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
        They are short because people didn't go off topic, argue, or repeat themselves back and forth. Topic rarely plays a part in this
        All i know is the longest threads have been some of my all-time favorite. Maybe others don't see it that way. Long, argumentative, off-topic threads RULE imo!!!
        Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

What the big deal if it goes off topic and people argue and repeat themselves? We're all losers for spending so much time here anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
            All i know is the longest threads have been some of my all-time favorite. Maybe others don't see it that way. Long, argumentative, off-topic threads RULE imo!!!
            I was just messing with you There were times where I got everyone talking about nail polish or popcorn or karma
            I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Comment

Originally posted by Masterplumb View Post
              What the big deal if it goes off topic and people argue and repeat themselves? We're all losers for spending so much time here anyway.
              It was a joke. Next time I will make sure I hit my English-to-Canadian joke translator before I post
              I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
                It was a joke. Next time I will make sure I hit my English-to-Canadian joke translator before I post
                Next time I will remember to laugh.

Comment

How can a stapler/calculater cost $1000.00 a year? Are the staples made of gold?

I never have liked the idea of a minimum wage. You've decided your minimum wage should be $1500.00 a week. That's your business of course, but I like the "you produce and you get paid, you produce more and you get paid more" business approach.

I didn't see any inflation #'s on the table. You are cutting into your profits if you don't add in 3-4%.

You said that this forum is about teaching people to make more money. I like to think it is about, at least for me, solving problems, talking with friends, and getting insights into running a business.

If you've figured all of your overhead and your direct labor and profit what else is there to make more money besides generating more business?
                  That's what generally gripes me about flat rate. It's not what the job cost me + profit, it's more like "what can I convince the customer this is worth." That 85 year old woman has no idea what she should be paying for a toilet pull and reset. And if you show her a nice price book and present yourself nicely, she will believe anything you tell her. It's just wrong. (frankly, Service Guy, I thought your prices for the toilet installs were in line or a little low.)

So, it comes down to what is your profit margin? I say 25% is fair.
                  Last edited by SlimTim; 07-07-2008, 09:02 PM.
                  "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Re: Why the 4 hours per day

Originally posted by Masterplumb View Post
                    You cant have only certain guys in certain areas. It doesnt work, at least most of the time. The last company I worked for as a service manager, we did plumbing heating and air. Certain guys couldnt do certain jobs, we had journeymen that could only replace faucets and clean drains and some guys couldnt do renovations and certain guys that could do heat but not a/c and vice versa. So for the most part this wont work.

Dont forget 300/hr for bestline is not every hour it's only the billable hours and if he covers a large area he has alot of travel time.
                    I certainly believe that not every plumber he has will necessarily work more than 4 hours a day on average, but I would think that his overall average should be higher than four. Your point is well taken about having some people who are good at some things and others who are good at others; but if you have a guy that does mostly renovations or repipes, wouldn't you expect him to do fewer longer jobs a day; thus his average would be higher than 4 hrs; compensating for the guy that needs to drive a lot between jobs? Also for things that are not emergencies, I've had companies say something we'll have a guy in that area on Thursday how does that work; and thats fine with me. Obviously some jobs that doesn't work for (like a clogged up drain).

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                      The last thing for now, as I am on a lunch break and need to get back, is I would reconsider how much you are paying City Girl. I know she shares the same last name as you so she is likely a relative of some type. However, with her $11,000,000 in net worth and her 121 homes is it possible she is over qualified for her position?
                      Also, if she is really making that much money just from her job at the plumbing company it is likely to be demoralizing to the other people who work there. If you see someone else making a lot more than you, without clearly providing more value to the company, but just because they are friendly with the boss, it will make the compensation system seem unfair to everyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by bestline3 View Post
                        Who said we're not getting anywhere? I think this is the best input.
                        Johnny 5 need more input (Short Circuit movie)
                        Everyone has posted positive thoughts.
                        Lets try to come to a conclusive (at least close decision).
                        We can design a worksheet and try to find a bench mark.
                        I did this in several forums and eventually many people see that they are charging too little. When you see something very clearly, you have no problem conveying this pessage to your customer through your mannerism, price book, sales approach and a lot more.
                        This forum is to help people make more money. Lets do it!
                        Lets get the job done once and for all

Jack
                        What a dandy idea,to help people make money! I suggest you start with the customers you expect to pay $280 to $340 an hour. That's some elite clientele Jack. Guess your customers are not paying double digit increases for gasoiline, heating fuel, food, insurances and many other things while not seeing an increase in their income? Oh, that's right this is not about the customer it's all about what you can convey through your mannerism, price book and sales approach. I can only hope you have many opportunities to be on the receiving end of such good business practices by other trades people, I'm sure you will appreciate their mannerisms. Sorry, didn't find a Jackass.

Comment

Re: Why the 4 hours per day

Originally posted by cpw View Post
                          I certainly believe that not every plumber he has will necessarily work more than 4 hours a day on average, but I would think that his overall average should be higher than four. Your point is well taken about having some people who are good at some things and others who are good at others; but if you have a guy that does mostly renovations or repipes, wouldn't you expect him to do fewer longer jobs a day; thus his average would be higher than 4 hrs; compensating for the guy that needs to drive a lot between jobs? Also for things that are not emergencies, I've had companies say something we'll have a guy in that area on Thursday how does that work; and thats fine with me. Obviously some jobs that doesn't work for (like a clogged up drain).
                          Your average for service plumbers (should) be around 5.5-6 hrs. of course you will have guys that produce more and less.

Renovations and service are two totally different animals. In larger companies they are set up basically as two different companies. What happens in service really has no relation to the renovation end of the business. So there is no averaging the two.

The last company I worked for did offer a discount if the customer could wait in a non-emergency situation until we had another scheduled service call in the area.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                            What a dandy idea,to help people make money! I suggest you start with the customers you expect to pay $280 to $340 an hour. That's some elite clientele Jack. Guess your customers are not paying double digit increases for gasoiline, heating fuel, food, insurances and many other things while not seeing an increase in their income? Oh, that's right this is not about the customer it's all about what you can convey through your mannerism, price book and sales approach. I can only hope you have many opportunities to be on the receiving end of such good business practices by other trades people, I'm sure you will appreciate their mannerisms. Sorry, didn't find a Jackass.
                            Right on Franki, and people wonder why homeowners (not mansion owners) are turning to DIY.

Comment

Listen I dont necessarily agree with this guy but before you all criticize him do you really know HIS cost of doing business? I mean we are in business to make money. I think his numbers are excessive but dont necessarily think he's robbing his customers. The customer wants percieved value. Many people dont want some butt-crack plumber with dirty workboots and clothes, ripped jeans, and smell bad in their homes with their children and wives. Maybe he lays out floor runners, uses booties, drug tests his employees, does background checks,has the best technicians working for him because he has a 401k plan, full medical and dental, paid holidays, sick time, vacations, company cell phone, uniform service, bonuses etc. Those things cost money. How many of us do those things? Like I said I dont know, but those things cost money and its all about PERCEIVED value. Thats why they make Mercedes, BMW, Maybach, Rolls-Royce, Bentley,Lexus etc. and they make Honda Civics, Kia Sedonnas, Hyundai excels, etc. You dont know what HIS overhead is.

Comment

Some post asked how I could possibly look in the mirror. This is not a joke. I really looked at myself in the mirrir and said, don't you every die, you good looking devil!" Then my razor slipped and I cut my neck pretty bad. Did you get it? I had shaving cream covering my face and I don't usually talk to myself when shaving. I use those old fashioned double-edge blades that are difficult to find. Everyone else is using those women's razors.

I am completely bald. I guess god make only a few heads perfect. The rest he covered with hair.

I read every post and not one person tried to blow me up for $280 to $340 per hour. Tell me your secrets so I can blow them up.

How much do you charge?
                                Do you charge the exact same hourly rate when you do a large contract job?
                                How do you justify your low or high price?
                                I hear the academics. Lets see some facts.
                                Cross out the names on some contracts and lets tear you up.
                                Lets see if you charged to little or too much.

I appreciate all your posts and I really don't see anything I do not agree with. Everyone makes sense.

Jack

Comment

Working...
                                X