• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is $280 to $340 The Correct Hourly Price

Leonard check your private messages.

Comment

Re: to Utah

Originally posted by bestline3 View Post
      I take that back. I will pay for all of your ticket and hotel.

Call me at 1-800-342-9559

After someone comes here. Then, we can move on to some very powerful advertising campaigns that work for me, even if the worse of times.

I never look at the economy. I never watch television. I will show you why every plumber hates Bestline. Nobody can compete with my advertising.

Jack
      Does this offer apply to me as well? I'm off work next month.
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
        My point is that if you have an overvalued home, you can actually sell it and move somewhere cheaper. The woman that I bought my current house from did just that - sold the house, paid off her mortgage, and iwas planning to use some of the proceeds to buy a 2 bedroom house on a lake in Putnam. There are also plenty of people (young and old) who move away from pricy areas like Long Island, Westchester etc.to North Carolina, Georgia, etc. because they have a more reasonable cost of living.

I am about to make myself really unpopular. I am not entitled to live in Scarsdale or Eastchester because my wife really would like it; we simply have enough money to do it. Just because you lived in Scarsdale for the last 30 years doesn't mean that you are entitled to continue living there. If you have a house that is worth $800,000 (which is not at all a stretch at all in these areas) you can sell that house, get a similar one just 30 miles away; and walk away with $400,000. The cheaper house will have lower taxes, if you get a smaller one it will even be less expensive to maintain, and that $400,000 will pay for a lot of heating oil. It is my opinion that owning a home in a nice part of southern Westchester is a luxury given that there are other, far less expensive, options available not too far away.
        Downsizing or moving to less expensive house is not an option for folks with children rooted in schools or older folks who are not up to such a move. Furthermore, downsizing or moving to better your financial situation is not what it used to be years ago. The money lost in fees to sell your house and buy another one are considerable and you are still faced with the same utilities even if your taxes are a little less. Much more to the equation than you'd imagine.You lose a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          leonard, you really need to get some sleep as your eyes and mind is wandering.

actually me and another well known member are actually talking about coming to meet you.

but i want to 1 up that. i wi want to actually come and inspect some of your work. i want to crawl under the houses.I thought you don't craw under houses?ant to do what the inspectors don't do. i want to get dirty and see what your work really looks like.

i want to see how you stack up against all the other non inspected jobs i see.

i suppose i will have easy pickings of the homes since you work in my neck of the woods. remember even i get your fliers on my door steps. i guess your hired help can't see my truck in the driveway probably because i work more than 4. 5 hours a day

i know you're leaving in a week. so i will be getting together with the other member and making a call to set this up. the inspection thing doesn't have to happen this weekend. but just a list of satisfied customers that i can visit. i won't be reporting the findings to them. just you and the forum both good and bad.

i know my years of union training with 15 years new construction, and another 12 years of service and repair. no to mention the additional 6 years of working summers from 12-18 should make me more than qualified.
          plus i already provide this service for my customers doing home remodeling.

looking forward to critiquing your operation. i'll make the phone call in the next day or 2.

rick.

Comment

I just spoke with Leonard, I am meeting him this afternoon.

I am excited about brainstorming. Alot of what Leonard has posted has truth to it.

We are in the business of making money, having a secure life and I see nothing wrong with this. Plumbing is a trade and a profession, like everything else, comes with a price, and because there are too many that don't feel this, or do not respect the profession, they have chosen to weaken it and lessen it's value, more then likely because of their own insecurity

Everyone should be in business to make money, not just to "get by", a good business is one you can retire from, not one where you can retire on the equity of your house.

Leonard and I have some things to clear up about an incident involving one of his customers, and my neighbor
            sigpic

Robert

Comment

I've been charging my customers $280 to $340 per hour. I would like to know if this is the correct price. Can you help me by sending a list of what you think is costs for one employee for one year.

For example, I think an employee should earn $1500 per week. If the employee can bill for only 4 hours per day divided by 1,000 hours per year, then you need to bill the customer $75 just to pay the employee.

Then, I need to know the annual cost for the employees liability insurance, health insurance, worker's comp, retirement plan, office supplies, truck rental or lease, secretary, office phone, mobil phone, uniforms, truck maintenance, tools, tool maintenance, uniforms, and whatever you can think of. I will compile the totals and post the results. I'm betting at $280 to $340 per hour.

I appreciate all help. I will be respectful, courteous, and just plain nice.

Thank you very much.

Jack
              This thinking has more holes than swiss cheese and the genious who who thought it up needs some lessons in finances. things like health insurance, workers comp, retirement,operating expenses sucha as offices supplies,truck rentals and mainatenance are expenses to the business and not billable to the customers what form of insanity gave you the impression that customers had to pay thecost of your trucks and maintenance? That comes from your end so do a good job of managing your business. The customer is paying for an established reputable professional who is established well enough to run his/her business and charge them for labor and parts, not running your business. What Goddam nerve!

Comment

Right or Wrong?

If any of you has ever attended a business seminar, or school than you know that the single most improtant thing is to know your bottom line. Simple. If you truley know your cost of doing business, then you can comfortably add whatever you want for a profit percentage after cost. Simple. If Leonards cost's are true, than he must, I repeat must charge what he does in order to stay in business. I presume most of us are at this to make money, not provide philanthropical service. I can inagine that in his neck of the woods, the cost's are pretty close to his figures. In mine they are a bit less. Unfortunatly most contractors are in a constant state of denial. Convinced that in order to compete they must match or be lower in price than everyone else in town. But that business model doesn't always work, in fact it seldom works because it is based on "feelings" instead of cold hard facts. The way to succeed and build a business is through uncompromising, excellence in service. In short, your company has to be better than all the others. Is $ 340.00 an hr too much? How much does your doctor get an hr? or your lawyer or dentist? What does the CEO of General Motors make even though the company's stock is in the toilet?
                You say people won't pay those rates, and you may well be right because they can get cut rate prices from all those guys that are willing to slowly loose money year after year untill finally they close their doors. Remember that according to the PHCC, the average annual salary for plumbers is $ 45,000 a year. The reason for that is because as contactors we have been selling ourselves short for decades. Most if not all of our monitary gripes are our own damn fault.

I respect Leonard for being honest about his business and his rational. If your business is doing as well as his than god bless you. If not than perhaps you need to get a professional in the door to help you understand your bottom line.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                  This thinking has more holes than swiss cheese and the genious who who thought it up needs some lessons in finances. things like health insurance, workers comp, retirement,operating expenses sucha as offices supplies,truck rentals and mainatenance are expenses to the business and not billable to the customers what form of insanity gave you the impression that customers had to pay thecost of your trucks and maintenance? That comes from your end so do a good job of managing your business. The customer is paying for an established reputable professional who is established well enough to run his/her business and charge them for labor and parts, not running your business. What Goddam nerve!
                  WRONG, WRONG, WRONG! It seems you have ZERO understanding about business economics Frankie. Who pays for ALL business expenses ultimately in ANY kind of properly run business? THE CUSTOMER. All my business expenses are paid for by my customers as I wouldn't have those expenses if I didn't have a business. Have you ever run a service business???
                  Bestline types like he's a bit crazy and he is a bit expensive, but he's running a successful business by the sound of it. I figure my rate in a very similar way to how he does, I just happen to have less overhead and I am more conservative when calculating my expenses. But if bestline wants to charge $400/hour, thats his perogative, you don't have to hire him if you don't like it.
                  Last edited by Service Guy; 07-08-2008, 01:26 PM.
                  Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                    I just spoke with Leonard, I am meeting him this afternoon.

I am excited about brainstorming. Alot of what Leonard has posted has truth to it.

We are in the business of making money, having a secure life and I see nothing wrong with this. Plumbing is a trade and a profession, like everything else, comes with a price, and because there are too many that don't feel this, or do not respect the profession, they have chosen to weaken it and lessen it's value, more then likely because of their own insecurity

Everyone should be in business to make money, not just to "get by", a good business is one you can retire from, not one where you can retire on the equity of your house.

Leonard and I have some things to clear up about an incident involving one of his customers, and my neighbor
                    Keep in mind a lot of us made a lot of money by providing a professional service at responsible pricing which was all up front. There is generally a reason a shop hides there hourly rate. Any system can be abused whether it be flat-rate or T&M.

As an example if you have a new guy starting out who is only billing 10 hours per week at the end of the year he will have only billed out 500 hours. Now if he chooses to lease a $50,000 truck, a $5,000 per month shop and pay $5,000 per month in advertising his first year his rates would be through the roof. Is his unreasonable overhead which he created the fault of the customer or his fault?

Mark
                    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post

These all factor into the cost of sales which are all passed onto the customer. It would be nice but naive to believe the plumbing fairy magically delivered a plumber and material to your home.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                        Whether you disagree with Leonard or not I don't see how calling people names (both directions) solves anything. It is okay for people to agree to disagree and still be civil. My guess is there is not a single person on this forum who will be hiring Bestline to come work at their home. However, he did not come here to solicit business from the forum. I believe he came here to stimulate some talk about finding your cost of sales when pricing work. There has been a good exchange of ideas and we have all expressed our beliefs. While his rates are higher than most feel they should be (myself included) there is some truth to his basic plan. I'm sure we will all takes some new found knowledge away from this exchange and for that I thank Leonard.

Mark
                        To: Utah

How do you figure I came to the forum to solicit business? Where is one of my posts that infer that I am selling something?

The only way to put a stop to these insults is to come to my office and I will show you all my contracts, bank accounts, and everything you need.

Obviously, I am the best in the world at marketing and sales and you don't have the ability to see what can be accomplished with a good education and hard work.

It is not my problem. Come to my office and I will pay 1/2 of your ticket and pay all your hotel bill, just to put a rest to this. You will be amazed and I will have to eat crow.

Jack
                        Perhaps you should reread my post as I said you did not come here to solicit business from the forum.

While you offer is very generous I only live 45-miles North of you so I'm not sure which airline I would use. In addition, I would probably be more comfortable in my own bed. However, I promise when work slows down a little I will try to give you a call and we will meet.

Mark

Comment

To Utah:

This weekend would be grate. I told you I am going to Vegas next week.

With all respect.

Call and I will purchase the ticket on line. The trip will be worth it.

Jack
                          This will be my last week for working in Las Vegas then I have two weeks working up in Reno so I will have to miss out on your outing. I will however wave at Whiskey Pete's on my way home to Southern California on Friday night. You guys have fun and when your really ready to do some ATV riding let me know. I have 110 acres in Utah with the Paiute ATV trail #74 running through the middle of it. It is some of the best ATV riding in the Country.

Mark

Comment

These all factor into the cost of sales which are all passed onto the customer. It would be nice but naive to believe the plumbing fairy magically delivered a plumber and material to your home.

Mark
                            Since you just became a post whore I can side track

First you tell me there is no dish fairy and now you tell me there is no plumbing fairy? What's next? PLEASE don't tell me the tooth fairy isn't real
                            I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
                              Since you just became a post whore I can side track

First you tell me there is no dish fairy and now you tell me there is no plumbing fairy? What's next? PLEASE don't tell me the tooth fairy isn't real
                              I am so sorry I forgot kids visit this site. Of course there is both a Plumbing Fairy and a Tooth Fairy. As a matter of fact you may be living with one of the two.

Mark

Comment

I am so sorry I forgot kids visit this site. Of course there is both a Plumbing Fairy and a Tooth Fairy. As a matter of fact you may be living with one of the two.

Mark
                                Mark!!! You of all people!! I never expected our level headed figure head to resort to name calling!!! Calling Rick a Fairy isnt very nice I think you should apologize.... personally.

Comment

Working...
                                X