X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Melanoma Surges Among Young Women

Sun goddesses take note: The rate of skin cancer's most deadly form jumped 50 percent in young women from 1980 to 2004, according to a government report. For men, the rate leveled. Ironically, women are more likely than men to use sunscreen, an expert says. But that could lead them to stay exposed longer under a false sense of protection. The news comes on the heels of a report that many popular sunscreens on the market do little to protect skin, have harmful chemicals -- or both.

Guys take note as this effects us too. Everyone needs to be careful and not stay out in the sun for long. This is especially true on days with a high UV index rating or if there's a high UV radiation warning issued for your area.

Here is some basic info about Melanoma the most deadly form of skin cancer in humans.

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/wyntk/melanoma

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/types/melanoma

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melanoma

http://www.melanoma.com/
    Last edited by Woussko; 07-11-2008, 02:40 PM.

Re: Melanoma Surges Among Young Women

is it the sun or tanning booths?
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Now you see why pre mature balding is a blessing in disguise, because I've been wearing a baseball cap for the last 30 years.
      sigpic

Comment

I wear a military Boonie hat and have for 20+ years, gives some ear and neck protection as well as face.
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I hit a turning point in my life. Talk of being in the sun was something I did not even bother to hear.

Last week on my vacation, I hand dug a trench to my shop for a gas line, shirtless. I have never received such a burn in my life. I had blisters on my entire back, could not sleep and was in terrible pain for five days.

If you ever see me in the sun again, I will be the guy with the big hat and sunscreen bottle in my back pocket.
          Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Wheter it is direct exposure to the Sun, tanning booths, or a combination of the two we know better now than we did years ago about how to protect ourselves from this form of Cancer. My wife and I talk to our daughters about using sunscreen and the best we can do is protect them while they are young, once they are out of our sight it's up to them. I tried a tanning booth at my gym a couple times last year and found it to be very strong and potentially hazardous to my health.

Comment

I have had three surgerys, two inpatient and one office procedure, in the past three years, on my ears, to remove a total of eleven whatevers - two differently named growths - caused by overexposure to the sun throughout my life. The real meaning of pain came through during the recovery process. It felt like someone was holding a MAPP gas torch on each ear and occasionally would stick a hot needle into them. And, I was taking some powerful pain meds. I can't imagine what it would have been like without the meds. The pain of the growths before surgery was so bad that I couldn't sleep on my side. The slightest pressure from the pillow caused terrible distress and I couldn't sleep.

In addition there has been so much tissue removed from my right ear it no longer resembles my left one. The next surgery, the surgeon assured me there will be another round in a year or two, will include reconstructive surgery in an attempt to make me more bilaterally symetric.

You don't want to use sunscreen that is up to you. I am walking, disfigured proof of what not using it can lead to.

Comment

I am with BHD, hats are IN. I bought a safari hat recently, its great when I am working outside all day, it shields my face and neck better than any lotion ever could!
                Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

I feel for you Tom. I had one removed from my right cheek last year and it also wasn't fun. (not anything like yours though ) Now every time a new spot comes around I freak out.

Trouble is I sweat so much I'm always wiping it off as fast as I put it on.

Good luck.

shup

Comment

Working...
                  X