Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buy Delta, not Ridgid

This is a copy of a letter that I sent to Delta today:

Hello, I would like to compliment Delta for the service I just received on my 17 “
    drill press that was still under warranty. On July the 1st my drill press on/off switch quit working. I contacted House of Tools and was given the phone number for the Delta service provider. At the same time they faxed me a copy of my receipt. At the Delta service center I was given the number for the company that provides on site warranty service. I told them my problem, faxed them my purchase receipt and was told that they would contact Delta to get a service authorization. Within an hour I was contacted and was given a service date for the following week. I was told that they tech would be there between 8 and 10 am. He arrived at 9 am, fixed the tool in a short period of time.
    I am truly impressed with this service.
    I would like to compare this service with the problems I have had with Ridgid. Early in January I purchased my second 14” Ridgid bandsaw. While assembling it I found a part with a factory defect serious enough to prevent me from using this tool. I contacted Home Depot and was told to contact Ridgid. I contacted Ridgid and was given the phone number for a service provider. This company told me that they did not deal with Ridgid anymore but gave me the number of the new company that did. I contacted this company and told them about the defective part. I was told that they would order one. I waited a month and called them, I was told that it was “on the way”. I waited another month, called, and was told that it was “on the way”. I contacted Ridgid at this point and asked them to send me the part. They told me that they didn’t deal with parts, the service provider had to. I called and contacted for 4 more months and still nothing. 7 months later and Ridgid will still do nothing for me.
    Needless to say I will never buy another Ridgid tool, nor will I buy tools from Home Depot because neither one of them back up their products.

Thank-you again for the great service. All my next tools will be Delta.

Len Blizzard
    Fort Saskatchewan, Alberta Canada

Re: Buy Delta, not Ridgid

Why didn't you just take the Ridgid unit back. Home Depot has a 90 day return. If it was new all you had to do was take it back .

Looks to me you just a basher.

Comment

Originally posted by shup View Post
      Why didn't you just take the Ridgid unit back. Home Depot has a 90 day return. If it was new all you had to do was take it back .

Looks to me you just a basher.
      I have to disagree with your assessment of the OP comments, I do not consider this bashing. He has related the positive experience he had with a problem from a competitors tool and then given an example of how a similar event transpired with RIDGID's CS.

How is that bashing?

Yes, he could have taken the tool back for a refund or replacement. What would your reaction be if the defective tool had been yours? Would you have happily packed the tool back up and drove back to HD, unloaded it and carted it into the store where you would now wait in line to return it? Mind you no mumbling or cussing under your breath during this evolution, you are happy to spend your time and gas money to return a tool which should have worked correctly right out of the box.

I'm not picking on RIDGID here, I would say the same of Delta if the roles were reversed or of any other company that refuses to respect their customers. Unfortunately this is not that isolated a case for RIDGID woodworking tools; search the forum and you will find multiple threads on this topic showing that their support for the woodworking line of tools is no where near the top quartile performance of the piping tools division. My opinion is this problem stems from the way the woodworking tools are manufactured and marketed. TTI makes the woodworking tools but they are sold under the RIDGID label, so the RIDGID name and reputation is what sells the tools, and RIDGID also gets the black eye when CS is not up to par but they don't seem to mind so I guess its all good. And for their part TTI gets to hide behind the RIDGID flag and watch them take all the lumps for less than adequate quality and service while they ship your greenbacks to China.
      Last edited by Bob D.; 07-11-2008, 04:45 PM. Reason: fixed a typo
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
      ---------
      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
      ---------
      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I would have to agree with shup if I got a deffecive tool I would have brought it back to the store and gotten a replacement ( not happily though )
        If I had bought a tool I more than likely would have needed it for a job I was doing that day . Even though I would have to go back to the store I would have what I needed to get the job done I was working on that same day Instead of waiting a week for someone to come and fix the tool.

Comment

A drill press I would have returned.
          A tablesaw would be a pain in the butt to return.
          IME, 3rd party service centers are generally bad in this type of case. Ridgid should have expedited the part to the customer, they should not have told the customer to contact a 3rd party.

As an example. I bot a dewalt router a few weeks ago, it was missing a few parts. I called dewalt. Without proof of purchase they sent me the missing parts which I received in just a few days. If they couldn't have provided the parts in a reasonable amount of time I would have returned the router. That is how it is done, anything less is bad service.
          I have a lot of ridgid tools, I have never had a need to use their service department.
          www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

When I received my Ridgid NaviTrack it was missing parts. I called Ridgid and without any additional information they sent out the parts. However, when I purchased an Hitachi job-site table saw the stand came bent and it was missing the hardware for the handles. I called Hitachi and told them I could live with the bent stand but I would like the hardware which was missing. I was told I needed to return the saw to where I purchased it (Amazon) and a new saw would be shipped out. I explained as that would involved $200 in freight it seems it would be easier to ship the $5 worth of hardware. She explained Hitachi does not work that way. I explained I was a contractor and had bought a lot of tools over the last 35-years and if that was really their policy I would no longer be buying Hitachi tools. To which she put me in my place by telling me that was fine. That was the last Hitachi tool I will ever buy.

Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I've made it a point to never purchace any power tool that is green or yellow. had very bad experiance with both.
              sigpic

Comment

Well first of all yes I would be pissed if I brought home a new whatever and it was damaged or missing parts. However that being said I would have taken it back to the store and 1: exchanged it for another or 2: would have gotten a refund.

I don't know the return policies of your HD but I have never had to put any return back in it's packaging to return it. I have even taken a walk behind brush cutter full of oil and it had gas in it because it broke within 3 hours of using it and had no problem with them. I did take back the box and all contents with it.

I believe this person has had 2 posts and both were to complain about Ridgid and their service. He even states that this is his 2nd band saw from Ridgid. He doesn't say why he bought another so I'm guessing his old one wasn't working anymore. Buying a 2nd saw from Ridgid seems to me he liked the first and had no problem with it.

So he states he has had problems with service and HD. He buys a saw from Delta after waiting for months (don't know how many) for Ridgid to come through but long enough for the return to lapse, then when his Delta breaks and he gets good service he wants to throw it in the face of Ridgid but he doe's it through the forum and not to where it should go.

We all know about problems with Ridgid and all the other brands out there. We also know some get good service and others don't. Hell we have been waiting for 10 weeks for Hyundai to finally replace our engine which they screwed up and yes I put it on our Hyundai forum but I bashed the dealer not Hyundai and not the car.

If I offended anyone on this forum I'm sorry as it was not my intension. I was just stating what I felt and still do feel on this topic.

I have not had to use the warranty for any tool I have bought so I guess I haven't had to go through the bull some have on here. I hope I don't ever have too.

shup

Comment

You didn't offend me, and if I implied that you did well that was not my intent. You are entitled to your opinion as am I. If we each read a different story out of what was posted that's to be expected. Our opinions are usually influenced by our personal experiences or observations.
                  ---------------
                  Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                  ---------------
                  “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                  ---------
                  "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                  ---------
                  sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I have to agree with SHUP...
                    Though I'm not a big fan of anything Ridgid makes outsidfe their original plumbing products (fine, I admit to owning their shop vac), I don't understand how or why anyone would opt to keep a defective product right out of the box rather than return it to the store it was purchased at...just looks like a story from where I see it.

I find it odd that Ridgid didn't suggest returning it in the first place.

Comment

I have a couple of ridgid 1/2" right angle drills (like hole hawgs) and we beat the crap out of them with absolutly no problems at all.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                        I have to agree with SHUP...
                        Though I'm not a big fan of anything Ridgid makes outsidfe their original plumbing products (fine, I admit to owning their shop vac), I don't understand how or why anyone would opt to keep a defective product right out of the box rather than return it to the store it was purchased at...just looks like a story from where I see it.
                        He probably didn't want to return it because it weighs almost 300lbs. Easier to fix.
                        www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

I vote with Shup, I have called Ridgid several times and they always sent me the replacement part for a new unit. When dealing with a service center it can take a week or 2 to get the parts and repairs needed under warrenty.I don't believe his 7 month story, if it's true he should be ashamed for allowing it to happen. After the first month of no part, the saw would have been back in HD.
                          info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

I'd just like to say kudos to Ridgid for allowing the post to stay here. It shows they have the good business sense to know their true customers will stand up in this forum.

I've always had good service from Ridgid support the few times I've had to call them. They've sent parts for a year-old jointer when I called to (finally) ask them about some parts that were missing. The tool ran fine, it was just the little parts that make the safety cover automatically return. The safety cover still worked, so I didn't bother until a year later. Porter-Cable, on the other hand, is a whole other story.
                            I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

I have to say that I have not had any problems with any of my tools except for worn out batteries unless it was through my own stupid fault.

When I first bought my Ridgid drill some of the rants about it and the warranty caused me to take it back and I bought a Sears instead. I tried the sears the next day and it quit drilling a 1 inch hole through a 2 by 6. Took it back the next day and went right back to HD and bought the Ridgid and haven't had a problem since.

shup

Comment

Working...
                              X