X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recomendations on a Meat Smoker

Anyone smoke fish or meat? I am thinking about buying a smoker. Looking for recommendations. I want to start smoking fish and probably turkeys at thanksgiving.

I am turning back into the outdoorsy type

Re: Recomendations on a Meat Smoker

Get a Cabelas catalog...they will have the best...For Turkey i use a fryer with peanut oil
    The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

I use a hole in the ground.

Comment

josh, a long smoker (horizontal pit with fire box on one end and chiney on the other) is the best. the water smokers like the brinkman are pretty lame. years ago i went through 2 of the Mr. Meat brand water smokers. they worked great but the company went belly up.

i'll find some makers of the long smokers for you but not tonight

steve
        In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

My brother has a smoker. Great for brisket! 2 Thanksgivings ago we smoked one turkey and fried the other. The smoked turkey tasted like ham

My other brother kept calling and telling us about all the people coming into the ER with burns from turkey fryers So it was decided that Rick was the most expendable and therefore put in charge of monitoring it's temp It was a lot of work and you are left with 5 gallons of oil.

I will find out the brand tomorrow.
          Last edited by MrsSeatDown; 07-12-2008, 02:42 AM.
          I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

that's because rick was the most proficient at maintaining and monitoring the proper temperature without starting a fire

it was also my idea to make french fries with the oil while it was hot. turned out we had yam fries.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

I got a Big Green Egg several years ago and love it. Especially now that you can get a DigiQ temperature regulating device. I use the BGE mainly for pulled pork and beef briskets. Haven't tried fish yet, but its on the agenda. They're quite a bit pricier now than when I got mine, but its ceramic and HEAVY so it should last forever. They have a great web site with a forum that is very useful.
              When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Comment

Thanks for the answers everyone. I am going to start keeping my eye out on craigs list. I really want to start smoking steelhead in the spring from the streams around here. Brisket and turkey will be an added bonus.

Josh

Comment

josh check out this show he does a lot of smoking food ,i would like to know what type of grill he has .he has the heat on one side and nothing on the other .
                  check it out
                  http://www.foodtv.ca/ontv/titledetai...?titleid=68771
                  Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                  http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                  http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Josh, this is a good place to start. http://www.trampolinesales.com/bbqsmokers.htm lots of good info

steve
                    In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

I've got a small smoker, a stand-up type that has the charcoal in the bottom, then a place for the water pan (utterly useless, except it's good for holding the wood chips and water), then on top is the grill where the meat goes. As noted, I dispensed with the whole water idea and just use charcoal and soaked wood chips. Chunky charcoal is best, IMO. Any kind of wood is good for smoking. So far, cherry, apple, and oak are my favorites with hickory as the backup.

If you go for the linear type (firebox on one end, then the meat section, and a chimney stack at the end), definitely get one with a separate, external firebox. This way, you can stoke up the fire as much as you like, and you can open the smoker section where the meat is without having to worry about temperature variations. Since the firebox is external, you can stoke it before you open it, and your temperatures won't drop dramatically.

I also like to use a magnetic stick-on, digital probe thermometer with a relatively long metal braided cord. The kind with an internal temp probe and an external temp sensor. This way, you get the temperature of the meat itself, along with an ambient temperature of the smoker. The magnetic part is so that you can just stick it on the outside of the smoker and keep an eye on it whilst sipping your beverage of choice. And you're still "working". You can actually say, "Yes, Dear, I'm working on dinner. The meat's at 115 degrees and climbing, and the smoker's putting out 225 degrees." All this from the comfort of your favorite lounge chair.
                      I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

I like to use a terra cotta pot for a smoker. I use an electric hot plate with a pie tin filled with saw dust or wood pellets.
                        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                          I like to use a terra cotta pot for a smoker. I use an electric hot plate with a pie tin filled with saw dust or wood pellets.
                          Now who's the cheapazz?

I saw this too on some cable show (when I had cable ).

Always wanted to try it.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                            Sooooooo. Watch food network do ya?

Yep the pot method works super, it's cheap, and is very very good at maintaining proper smoking temp.
                            sigpic

Comment

Alton Brown is a culinary god. JC, you're still cheaper than me no matter what. I have selective spending, you're just cheap all around.
                              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Working...
                              X