X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How cheep are you

Pack lunch when I eat. Anyone else get so busy that it's 2 o'clock before you know it and then you just skip lunch? Happens to me all the time.

And everywhere seems to hammer you for a drink now!

J.C.

Comment

Cheap!... Hey, some of you guys are amateurs

The last time I got a store bought hair-cut, it was only $2.50... I've cut my own hair for the last 35 years.

I used to cut my wife's hair, until one day we were chased into the supermarket by some lady yelling at her, "Hey Lady, Hey Lady!". She ran all the way back into the store to ask my wife who does her hair... and when she said, "He does"... the woman wanted me to cut hers. No thanks, now my wife cuts her own and I occasionally help.

I drive less than 5,000 miles a year, used to walk to work and walk home for lunch. Even taking a 150 mile round trip once every week or so (to work on the future home) I still manage to gas up only once every 10 days, on average. The last time I bought gas was July 5th ($4.08/gal), I still have a little less than 3/4 of a tank, and we're driving to Binghamton tomorrow and plan on buying gas when it's on sale this coming Thursday.

We don't get the newspaper and only basic cable w/phone and internet access! (up to a year ago, we were on dial-up). No premium channels and no cell phone.

We keep the thermostat on 62 in the winter and no air conditioning in the summer. I occasionally use a fan.

In the past four years, I've purchase lot's of tools (Ridgid and Ryobi), all but a few were purchased when they have their "clearance" specials. So, substantial savings!

We only have two magazine subscriptions, spending about $60 a year.

We don't go to the movies, the last one I saw at a theater was "Dances with Wolves"; and we never rent DVD's. We have a great library of books (mostly library sales) and movies, VCR'd from television. Occasionally I'll buy a DVD of a movie that I really like... if it's in the $5 bin.

Married over 40 years, we've only owned six vehicles with the last purchased last August.

Buying our first home in 1970 and of course our first lawn mower... I've only owned four lawnmowers with the third purchase four years ago, and the fourth purchase two years ago, for use at the other house, so I don't have to transport one back and forth.

We eat out about twice a month, usually Chinese buffet. I very rarely do fast-food or take-out, probably less than a half-dozen times a year.

At night, we run two small televisions, two 36 watt florescents and two 15 watt CFL's.

I do most of my own repairs and improvements as well as my own lawn care.

We've never paid "interest" on anything, except the mortgage, which was paid off several years ago. Credit card is paid every month so no charges are accrued. All our car purchase were made with "secure loans" against our saving account at minimal interest, and were always paid off within two years. Everything else is cash purchase.

My wife coupon's so most grocery purchases are done with fairly decent savings. Back in the early 80's when stores used to double and triple coupon, we actually went through three years where we actually made money buying groceries! (Really, I'm not exagerating!) We counted up our total grocery bills, subtracting the amount of "cash backs" and found that we were in the black $1600 the first year, $1200 the second, and about $800 the third. (By then, the grocery chains were catching on to the fact that "coupons" were too much of a give away for those ardent coupon folks.)

So, I wouldn't exactly label ourselves "cheap" (we're fairly generous with local charities, regularly contributing to various funds and of course the local food bank.), but I think we spend our money as wise as possible and take advantage or sales when they exist.

CWS
      Last edited by CWSmith; 07-13-2008, 12:22 AM.

Comment

before i was married, i shopped once for toilet paper at costco.

now 4 years later, i think joey sells it

so i started to save the cardboard tube and split the 2 ply into 1 ply, thus doubling the amount of paper

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Been cutting my own hair with a "FloBee" for many years, do my own lawn/yard work and most car repairs (brakes, oil changes too). I refuse to be cold in the Winter or hot in the Summer. Life is not about suffering when there is relief in the form of heat and air conditioning, sorry guys I draw the line when it comes to health and comfort. I've laid in a hospital bed for weeks on end not being able to eat or drink, trust me I eat good food and plenty of it. You can't take it with you and I've seen too many people live like paupers denying themselves better lives only to die and leave it to others. You want to be frugal, cheap? Go right ahead, your choice.

Comment

What a bunch of losers.
            I eat fine steaks and sushi, drink expensive wine and vacation at private beaches.
            Being cheap is for the birds. I'd rather enjoy life.
            Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              now 4 years later, i think joey sells it

rick.
              I wait til you leave the house and then I go outside to sell it to the neighborhood. That is how I buy all those shoes
              I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
                I wait til you leave the house and then I go outside to sell it to the neighborhood. That is how I buy all those shoes
                Funny but you don't seem the type Imelda.

Mark
                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I am not cheap about anything. We have a house cleaning service and a lawn service. My wife likes a certain type of jewelry - I can't explain what the type is, but through the years I have learned to recognize it - and she likes a certain jewelry store. It took a few years because I didn't want to overwhelm her, but I bought her everything in the store of the type she likes. Everything I buy is high end quality. Not necessarily high end price but high end quality. Even kayak paddles are $400 Werners. My wife and I read a lot - no television. I don't go to the library, I buy the books. We eat out four or five times a week. When we are with a group, I buy - always.

My life wasn't always like this. I was, almost literally, born on the dirt floor of a tar paper shack - we didn't have hot running water until I was five years old and by then I had a sister and brother. Think about life with three kids and two parents with no running hot water. None of the interior doors in the house had handles - couldn't afford them. I didn't like being poor and decided early on to do something about it.

I am now 61 years old. My retirement is as secure as the stock market - Sorry Frankiearmenz, I know you didn't, but I bought XOM (Exxon Mobile) stock in 2004 for $54.30. I have worked for everything I have and the money I have is mine to do with as I please. I spend it and plan to continue.

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                    What a bunch of losers.
                    I eat fine steaks and sushi, drink expensive wine and vacation at private beaches.
                    I don't look at being cheap as not enjoying life, but rather targetting where I spend my money. I don't want to spend money on crap like lunch at work, an unneeded cell phone, or an oil change on a car with 140k miles. You can throw basic home repair in there as well (e.g., I could pay someone lots of money to fix the hole in my ceiling from my leaking pipe, but I did it myself for about $5 worth of joint compound, $5 of drywall screws (smallest box) and $2.02 worth of sheet rock).

Instead we use that money to pre-pay our mortgage, have new cars (our old ones died in the last two years), and a good babysitter/preschool. Those things are more important to us, so we spend money on them; but the only way to do it is not to spend lots of money on unimportant things.

Comment

I'm with you buddy. Lifes too damn short to live cheap. Spend large and owe thousands when you die.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tom W View Post
                        I am not cheap about anything. We have a house cleaning service and a lawn service. My wife likes a certain type of jewelry - I can't explain what the type is, but through the years I have learned to recognize it - and she likes a certain jewelry store. It took a few years because I didn't want to overwhelm her, but I bought her everything in the store of the type she likes. Everything I buy is high end quality. Not necessarily high end price but high end quality. Even kayak paddles are $400 Werners. My wife and I read a lot - no television. I don't go to the library, I buy the books. We eat out four or five times a week. When we are with a group, I buy - always.

My life wasn't always like this. I was, almost literally, born on the dirt floor of a tar paper shack - we didn't have hot running water until I was five years old and by then I had a sister and brother. Think about life with three kids and two parents with no running hot water. None of the interior doors in the house had handles - couldn't afford them. I didn't like being poor and decided early on to do something about it.

I am now 61 years old. My retirement is as secure as the stock market - Sorry Frankiearmenz, I know you didn't, but I bought XOM (Exxon Mobile) stock in 2004 for $54.30. I have worked for everything I have and the money I have is mine to do with as I please. I spend it and plan to continue.
                        No need to apologize, you do what you want with you money and life. Sounds like your early years gave you an appreciation for the good things hard work, smart investing and money can provide. Enjoy your good life for many more years.

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                          What a bunch of losers.
                          i with you you only live once and you cant take the $$$ with you
                          i do keep turning off lights when know one is in the room .

we do use the shower water to flush the toilet [ after using it 3 times ] and we do pee out side if the dog can do it we can to .

i do some things cheep because of habit when we did not have the $ to do things
                          Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                          http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                          http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Of course I don't like waste either. I turn off the lights when I leave the room, watch what I spend, drive used cars till they about die, etc. But to me thats not 'cheap', thats just being smart about spending. To me being 'cheap' is someone that goes too far with it, I have met people who were consumed by stinginess, and watched every penny a little too closely. When it comes to many things I like to splurge a little. Like Hawk said, "You can't take it with you."
                            Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

I must the opposite of cheap

I spend money I don't have on things I don't need
                              I dine at fine restaurants 2 or 3 times a week
                              I drink the latest trendy wines
                              I snack on rare cheeses
                              I grill the fatest steaks the butcher has

I work hard and I reward myself for it

Comment

I'm building a rabbit shed and I needed a screen window to allow air to flow. The cheapest window I could find was for $56.00. Well that was just to much for me.

I had an old metal screen door, so I cut the window out allowing 1" around the perimeter. Then I built a frame out of scrap 2"x4"s and grooved the frame to drop in the window. Caulk it all up for water seal and it works like a champ. The only thing I had to buy was a tube of caulk at $2.49.

Hows that for being a cheap a$$....
                                Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Working...
                                X