Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UFC Fans

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slu...yhoo&type=lgns

So is this guy gonna bring in better ratings and new viewers on his next fight now?
    I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Re: UFC Fans

Wow. He was already a huge draw, a superstar in Japan too. Probably makes a ton off of endorsements too.

One interesting thing is he was just on a reality show as a coach and they kicked one of the young contenders off the show and out of the UFC because of disorderly conduct. Jacksons comment to the UFC president was along the lines of "you don't want someone like that representing your company."

I always kind of wondered about athletes in the spotlight. Just because they can throw a ball or run fast or punch people really well they are expected to be role models. There is no reason to expect that they are good people just because they are good at sports.

I hope nobody was hurt in the accident.

Eli
    A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Comment

I don't think so. They always televise car chases here. The person ALWAYS gets caught. This dummy started on a flat tire-how far did he think he would get?

The UFC Pres bailed him out, so he can't be too displeased with his behavior
      I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Ba ba ba bad to the bone.....

Born Renegade, thats what some people are.....
        Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

I just love the UFC. look how far you can get in life just by being a thug. Most of these guys, along with the league president, belong in jail.

I'm a bit sensitive about the issue because shows like this are watched primarily by young men, who see this crap and glorify it. We have to break up at least 4 or 5 fights a week and I imagine in the inner city schools it's even worse. What these shows do is let kids believe that this kind of behavior is normal and acceptable when it is not. The sheer brutality of the so called sport is just shy of the Roman collaseum days as the public grows more blood thirsty. No one watches this garbage because the contestants are highly skilled athletes. They watch it to see blood. See someone beaten half to death. There is no sport here, only savage behavoir supported by unmitigated greed. I hope they put the SOB in jail for a long time, but I doubt they will.
          sigpic

Comment

I think that Quinton will get a 6 month suspension that will be publicized but since the fighters usually go 6-8 months between fights, I doubt this will affect his career. Dana White has done a lot to legitimize mixed martial arts (MMA) by internal drug testing, revised rules, etc. Recently 2 of the top fighters got banned and belts taken away due to steriod use. Did this make mainstream news? No, because their was no outside investigation, no contervesy. The ufc handles it's own business.

I view MMA as a physical chess match. Move the guy's arm and attack his leg. Oppenent knows this so he guards his leg and and his arm, etc. Let's talk brutality; apparently, fifty three boxers died around the world between 2000-2005. Boxers die all the time. MMA has had 2 deaths that I'm aware of-one was in Russia and the other was in houston. I think boxing is brutal and pointless. Let's punch someone in the head until he collapses. That's the entire strategy. In MMA there are top rated fighters who have never scored a knockout.

As far as people watching MMA to see blood or a knockout, what's the difference between that and Nascar or hockey? Like it or not, MMA is here to stay and I think is a positive sport in America.
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

People think Professional wrestlers are a joke but ask the many police officers who tried arrest them over the years. I remember one story roughly fifteen or twenty years ago involving Ken Patera, former olympic weightlifter turned pro wrestler. He and another wrestler started tearing up a place and they hurt a lot of people including fifteen or so police officers. I believe any well trained martial artist has the upper hand in a fight against an untrained opponent. Fighting is a blood sport wheter it's wrestling, boxing, kick boxing or MMA. I enjoy the science/sport combined with physical talent but at some point it becomes blood lust. How many times do we need to see the same two evenly matched opponents hurt eachother? Then there's the risk to the public and law enforcement, in spite of all our laws our environment is made more dangerous with so many well trained fighters. Road rage is all too comon nowadays and if limited to some verbal exchange or finger gestures it remains relatively harmless, put someone who is well versed in chokes, take downs, and the rest of a fighting arsenal and you have a recipe for disaster. Should be interesting when all these guys start to suffer from dementia. I don't mean to be disrespectful but we are encouraging more and more people to be very competant at hurting others. I still remember leaving the movie theatre after a Bruce Lee movie, man you had to be able to fight real well or run real fast back then. Has society learned anything since the movie "The Harder They Fall"? I'll end this on a funny note, "Cover The Face Ralph", anyone remember?

Comment

You are absolutly correct about boxing and though I somewhat agree about racing I doubt the drivers go into it with a desire to injure other drivers or themselves. As for the fans itching to see a crash, that just bolsters my point on the continuing brutality of society. Racing cars, though a dangerous sport is not inherently brutal.
                sigpic

Comment

MMA fighters are some of the most dedicated athletes there are. I have many friends who are ameuturs and there training is impressive. They don't drink, womanize or do anything that might detract from them losing the fight. This also includes getting in a bar fight or something or that nature. As anybody can tell whose been in a few fights, in a street fight, someone will break a hand punching the other guy. MMA fighter don't want to risk this outside the ring.

You mention a professional wrestler 20 years ago, is this the best example you can come up with? Are you going to judge a sport by the actions of 1 or 2? Doesn't compute.

This is another beef I have with boxing that doesn't happen with MMA. In boxing, a boxer could be getting punched repeatedly without much defense and the fight will continue as long as that fighter remains standing. In MMA, the fight is stopped as soon as a fighter is not/cannot defend himself. He might still be consensous but if he's not defending himself, the fight is stopped. This does cause some conterversy but the ref is there to ensure both fighters are safe and can fight another day.
                  Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I fail to see anything positive about a guy grabbing another around the waist, driving him back first into a chain link fence, downing him and then beating the living crap out of him untill the blood flows. Believe me if it wasn't against the law, these matches would be till a knock out or death. I realize the brutality of boxing also, but those guys don't fight in a cage, there are very specific rules involved and though boxers do get killed, boxing has been around a lot longer than the UFC. As the UFC gets more and more popular you're gonna see your share of dead guys there too, and that's just what the fans love. There's no skill here, just plain savagery.
                    sigpic

Comment

Anybody and everybody in America should be treated the same in regards to the law regardless of race, religion, fame, finances.
                      Unfortunately, we've all seen this not be the case. But gotta' have faith that we're trying.

As far as MMA, I'm like Gear and see it as a chess match. And the refs are much quicker to stop a fight than in the beginning of MMA in the U.S. They recognize when someones in trouble immediately and end the match.

I do wish they had an "UNLIMITED" weight belt for the true king of the ring like in the beginning. So a 165lb. person could take on a 235lb. person or any variation in between.

MMA is going to be the dominant sport in this field for awhile.

I personally think boxing has been screwed up by promoters and HBO for years and now it's finally biting them in the butt. Anybody else remember watching some main events on regular tv? ABC Sports?

I've guess I've just been dissatisfied with boxing since my favorite guy got to old to compete.

Julio Caesar Chavez!

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                        You are absolutly correct about boxing and though I somewhat agree about racing I doubt the drivers go into it with a desire to injure other drivers or themselves. As for the fans itching to see a crash, that just bolsters my point on the continuing brutality of society. Racing cars, though a dangerous sport is not inherently brutal.
                        So is MMA a symptom of society or is it the other way around?
                        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

The other issue here is that most of these guys are being exploited by the UFC and their own handlers. The money is an embarassment compared to what the UFC and the networks make form their pain and suffering. As for their dedication. I have no doubt of their dedication to the "sport" But that still doesn't justify the sensless brutality. For that matter nothing would.
                          sigpic

Comment

So should the competitors in MMA be Flat Rate or Time and Materials?

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                              I fail to see anything positive about a guy grabbing another around the waist, driving him back first into a chain link fence, downing him and then beating the living crap out of him untill the blood flows. Believe me if it wasn't against the law, these matches would be till a knock out or death. I realize the brutality of boxing also, but those guys don't fight in a cage, there are very specific rules involved and though boxers do get killed, boxing has been around a lot longer than the UFC. As the UFC gets more and more popular you're gonna see your share of dead guys there too, and that's just what the fans love. There's no skill here, just plain savagery.
                              Either you're a tree hugger or your exposure to the sport is very limited. The same can be said about Greco Roman wrestling, promoted in collages and high schools around the country. What's positive about guys in tights trying to dehydrate themselves so they can grab each other and toss each other around? This is a rhetorical question but following your logic, this must be a problem as well.
                              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Working...
                              X