• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What Was Your First Car?

1985 Jeep Cherokee from 1998 to 2003
    2001 Chevy Blazer from 2003 to 2006
    1995 Chevy Suburban from 2006 for at least another 6 months
    Next year..... 2009 Cadillac ESCALADE!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
      It couldn't be brought in from anywhere else cause of the emissions standards here.
      Those emissions standards are also applicable in NY and a few other states. That was one of the things that killed my Sentra. The CA emissions version had two catalytic converters, the forward one; which was required for CA emissions was specific to the car and was a very expensive part because of it. If the head gasket didn't blow I would have had to replace that in a month to pass inspection.

Comment

There was nowhere around us is what I meant to say. Boy, I think I better make it an early night. THis is the second time tonight I mis-spoke.
        I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

The very first car I owned was a 1956 Mercury Monteray, 4-door sedan. I bought it from my father for what he was offered as a trade-in on a 59' Pontiac... $70! The Merc had about 75 K on it, burned oil, valve lifters, and the transmission leaked like a seave.

This picture is a "hardtop", while mine was a 4-door sedan. Also, mine was white with just the top black. The engine was a V-8, 292 cu.in. "Turnpike Cruiser" with a single 4-barrel carb and an oil-bath air filtration system. Thing could burn rubber though and out on the highway she'd deliver and honest 21 mpg. Not bad for a 56, I think.

I drove it for two years, put outside oilers on it to save going through valve lifters and my cousin rebuilt the transmission and we put new piston rings in it. In the last winter with it, I hit a patch of ice late one night and tore up the driver's side raking across the stone's of a railway underpass. With a headlight, door mirror, and tail light gone on the driver's side, it got put away for the rest of the winter and continued my hitchhinking days. In late spring, I bought my first new car, a 1965 VW 1200 "Beatle".

The following year I sold the Merc to a guy who wanted to run it in the local stocks. He ran it for two seasons as I recall. It wasn't particular successful though... just too heavy I think.

CWS

Comment

1st car was a 68 camero I got from my oldest sister in 71 when she went over seas.1st new and only new car was a 77 Datsun pickup I got in 76.The poor camero was in 3 wrecks while I had it ..twice while I was in bed sleeping it was hit by drunks.Then once when I loaned it to my other sister the front was wiped off by a logging truck.I got rid of it cause of all the little problems it always was having.
            Sam

Comment

Question: Do you mean what was the first car I got to ride in or do you mean the first car where my name was on the title/registration to the car?

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
                Question: Do you mean what was the first car I got to ride in or do you mean the first car where my name was on the title/registration to the car?
                don't tell me it was a dog catchers truck

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

1957 Chevy - 2 door sedan purchased in 1964 for $450.00
                  Here is the the color in a 4 door

I owned a number of muscle cars in my youth
                  1961 Pontiac 389 with 2 four barrels
                  1965 Chevy Impala 327 w/trips
                  1967 Chevy Camaro RS 327
                  1970 Dodge Dart 340
                  I also had a custom 1974 Ford Van, remember those days

Plus a mid-life crisis 1971 Datsun 240-Z
                  Last edited by BENWANNABE; 07-18-2008, 12:49 PM.

Comment

My first car was a Batmobile.

Mark
                    Attached Files
                    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                      My first car was a Batmobile.

Mark
                      I thought it was a horse drawn buggy
                      I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Comment

No that was my dads and I was only allowed to use it to get to school and back. Once I was old enough to buy my own transportation I bought the Batmobile as I am highly allergic to equines. It was a fun car to drive and as it turned out it was quite the chick-magnet.

Mark
                          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Mine was a 1952 GMC for $ 750 [small window and Org. engine] I then purchased 1970 Implala for $ 150 [325 w/rat vin]put the motor in the truck and girls in the passenger seat. LOL .. I then did something stupid, and gave the car to a fundraiser at the high school and we smashed with sledghammers.. I know I know..

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                              Holy smokes Bob, if you bought a toyota to begin with, you could've cut that list in half.
                              Were they even importing Toyotas in the early 70s?

Like I said, I had a number of those vehicles at the same time.

The El Camino, 92 Bronco, and Z-28 I had for a time together.

The Hummer for 10 years so it has seen a few others come and go.

And I forgot from the early end of the list a 65 Mustang Coupe which was real nice. I blew the motor one day on the way home from work...it ate the air celaner hold-down stem when the wing nut rattled off and it fell in the carb when I punched it. When that 1/4" rod got in the cylinder the motor fetched up tight in an instant. Tore it down and found broken piston with wrist pin still in it, cam broke in three places, bend connecting rod (almost 40 deg), cylinder wall broken out in two cylinders. <Motor was totaled which was a shame asot had a lot of work done to it.
                              ---------------
                              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                              ---------------
                              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                              ---------
                              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                              ---------
                              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Damn Bob now I gotta go check the wingnut on my air cleaner

Comment

Working...
                                X