Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What Was Your First Car?

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
    Were they even importing Toyotas in the early 70s?

Like I said, I had a number of those vehicles at the same time.

The El Camino, 92 Bronco, and Z-28 I had for a time together.

The Hummer for 10 years so it has seen a few others come and go.

And I forgot from the early end of the list a 65 Mustang Coupe which was real nice. I blew the motor one day on the way home from work...it ate the air celaner hold-down stem when the wing nut rattled off and it fell in the carb when I punched it. When that 1/4" rod got in the cylinder the motor fetched up tight in an instant. Tore it down and found broken piston with wrist pin still in it, cam broke in three places, bend connecting rod (almost 40 deg), cylinder wall broken out in two cylinders. <Motor was totaled which was a shame asot had a lot of work done to it.
    Yes I use to work with a guy who owned one but they were not Toyota then they were Toyopets. As I recall he owned a Toyopet Corona.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
      Yes I use to work with a guy who owned one but they were not Toyota then they were Toyopets. As I recall he owned a Toyopet Corona.

Mark
      I don't know about Toyopets, but I once owned a 1969 Toyota corona. That wasn't my first car tho. I paid $200 for a 1939 Dodge coupe--wish I had it now!

Comment

Learned to drive on a 1985 nessan sentra
        my first car 1983 chevy s10
        my first new car 1996 f-150(still my daily driver and breadwinner)

my hotrod:
        1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX, with about 5k worth of go fast in it, ported& clipped 16g turbo, 3" Stainless steel turbo back exhaust, manual boost controler etc...

All wheel drive burnouts are cool.

Electrical problems caused me to get rid of this car

Greg

Comment

My first car was a 1996 4x4 toyota tacoma. That little thing could 4x4 in the mud with the best of them. I was young, financed the whole thing with my mom as co-signer, I over-payed like crazy...live and learn, it was my first truck.
          Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Chevrolet produced a special 302 in³ (4.9 L) engine for Trans Am racing from 1967-1969. It was the product of placing the 3-inch stroke crankshaft from a 283 into a 4-inch bore 327 block. This engine was mostly used in the first-generation Camaro Z28. Just over 100 DZ block 302 engines were used in the, unique to South Africa, Chevrolet Firenza Can Am. Conservatively rated at 290 hp (216 kW), actual output was around 360 hp (268 kW). This block is one of 3 displacements that underwent a transformation for the 1968/1969 period when the main bearing size was increased from 2.30 in to 2.45 in.
            sigpic

Comment

Mine would be a 71 Chevelle SS . Gave it to top dawg when I joined the service. He still has it in his barn . Its in a lot of pieces now though .

Comment

Thought I'd bring this one back up. Really enjoyed reading what everyone was driving 'back in the day'

Comment

First car was a 1957 Dodge Coronet 2 door that my dad bought in 1958. Kept it until last year, but it's still in the family. 2nd one was a 1969 Dodge A100 van, then two 1966 Dodge Darts - one with the 225 slant six, the other with a 273 V8. Many MANY vehicles followed. Currently have a Chrysler T&C and a '88 1/2 Suzuki Samurai.
                  "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

My first was a 1985 chevy s-10 it was a work truck that became unreliable so my old man gave i to me to fix up. I put a thousand bux into it to get it going and it ran great until it was totaled.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                      I thought the chevy 302 motor was built from a 327 with a 283 crank?
                      Yeah, that's right. The 4" bore (327 and 350) with the shorter 3" stroke of the 283. This was the combination used in the original Z-28. It was an iron block with iron heads, but it had an aluminum intake manifold. Not aware of an all-aluminum 302 in an SS, must have been very rare.

[edit: oops, didn't ntice that all this info was already posted - sorry.]

My first car was a 65 Mustang coupe with a 200 cubic inch straight 6 and three speed manual trans. Paid $200. It later got a 289 and an FMX automatic. Everyone told me the FMX wouldn't fit. It fits, it had to fit. It was the cheapest trans at the junkyard and that's all the $$ I had. But I left the 4 bolt wheels on it (money again). I drove it for years.... ended up selling it to a guy that used it in local circle track racing.

Today I have a 67 coupe in the garage. It's very similar to my 65, even the same color. It has an engine I built at my race engine shop - the last motor before I sold. A tad better than the 289 in the old '65. But in many ways, not nearly as good.
                      Last edited by Andy_M; 12-05-2009, 11:22 PM.

Comment

Chevy LUV , Suzuki TS250

Comment

1967 rs/ss convertible camaro, wish I still had it

Comment

This is what I learned to drive in (except it was a long bed). With the three on the tree it was definitely find 'em or grind 'em at first.

As for owning a vehicle, I've never done so, personally. My wife has owned a few cars, but I've just had use of company trucks for the last 42 years.

Comment

The car is a 65 LeSabre, which had a killer backseat. The truck is what I learned to drive in delivering...wait for it........plumbing supplies!
                              Attached Files
                              (The Low Spark of Steel-Toed Boys)

Comment

First car I ever bought and owned was in 1986 it was a 1980 MGB Limited Edition. The pics below are not of my own car but it looked identical. Sold it to a good friend when I went in the Army so the car didn't sit for years. Then he sold it for a profit a few months later, full knowing I wanted to buy the car back off of him when I got back. Needles to say he is not much of a friend anymore.

Attached Files
                                Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                                Ron's Facebook
                                A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                                Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                                Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Working...
                                X