X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What Was Your First Car?

Hey Ron. If you want another one I have 6 in my yard as we speak. Oh, and a barn full of spare parts
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
      Hey Ron. If you want another one I have 6 in my yard as we speak. Oh, and a barn full of spare parts
      I am in the process of restoring a 1978 Alfa Romeo. I do miss my MGB. Firt one I looked at before I bought the MGB was a MG Midget, my knees where in the dash. Car was way way to small for me. The MGB though if I put the seat all the way back I would have to work the pedals with the tips of my toes. The car is a lot bigger than it looks.
      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Bigger, heavier, faster and handles a lot better. I had a midget for about 2 weeks. That was enough of that.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
          I thought the chevy 302 motor was built from a 327 with a 283 crank?
          It was. Never heard of a Pontiac motor that size except for the 301 in the late 70's. The Chevy 302 was the Z-28 motor.

Comment

Originally posted by JTROANOKE View Post
            It was. Never heard of a Pontiac motor that size except for the 301 in the late 70's. The Chevy 302 was the Z-28 motor.
            I remember in the early 70's quite a few 283 blocks were bored .125" over as the poor mans 302. Together with a set of double hump 2.02" intake valve heads you were ready for some back roads drag racing.
            Other than cooling problems and a 2 bolt main block they held up surprisingly well.

Comment

Learned to drive on a 67 F-100, three on the tree, came with a 352 but Dad blew the motor (one of his army buddies was the service manager at ford) and it was still under warrenty, came back with a 390. Still got it.

first car was a '74 98 Olds with 455 (me and dad rebuilt the motor) and electric everything and velour interior (real pimpmobile), put a killer sound system in it. Rolled it over doing about 90 going to pick up a girl one morning during my senior year in high school.

Pulled the motor and put it in a $100 '74 Olds station wagon, would burn rubber for 100 yards it seemed like. Rolled it over also, pulled the motor and put it in the shop.

70 something pontiac catalina 400 small block, would haul @ss
              70 something plymouth fury III 318 I think
              67 F-100, bought it from dad
              87 ford ranger
              80 something Olds cutlass
              89 F-250
              96 F-250

There might of been a few more in there, a few of those years were a little foggy for me.

G3

Comment

1984 Nissan Stanza

It started as poetry in motion,
                then ended in tragedy

Comment

First car I owned (titled, etc in my name) was a '54 Ford 2 door ($100) bought in 1964. Column shift with a big chrome ball that was so heavy it would drop from 2nd to 3rd just by depressing the clutch! Spent more time working on it than driving it. Sold it for $200.
                  After that was a '58 Pontiac ( Bought in 1965 for $150) that topped out at 134 mph. Sold it for $350) Then a '57 Chevy 4 door bought in '67 for $300 with a spare engine block in the trunk. My old man sold it for me while I was in 'Nam for $500. Then a '66 Chevy Impala 2 door (the most comfortable car I have ever driven) I bought in '69 for $1300. While I had it, I also bought a '51 Ford Pickup with a 327 Chevy engine that would pick the front wheels up off the line.

Then I got married.

Go
                  Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

I've never owned a "car" that I personally drove, they've all been pickups or suv's. My wife has had two cars since we've been married.

My first pickup(s) was Willy's Overland. It took a '50 and a '54 to donate parts to the '52 that actually hauled my butt around for a while. I actually got towed more miles than I drove it.

Next rig was a 76 Dodge Ramcharger.

86 Nissan Hardbody pickup. I lowered it and drove the piss out of it. This was my first new pickup.

I traded it for a 77 F150 4x4 that eventually got a healthy 460. That little pickup hauled azz! I decided to see how fast one night and got the speedo around to 30 for the second time and got scared and backed out.

97 F250 with a 351W. What dog that thing was!

I traded that one in on a work truck. 99 F350 with the powerstroke. I still have this one.

Next personal pickup was a 99 F250 with the diesel and a 6 speed. It was a good looking pickup, but a POS.

My current pickup is an 06 Silverado with the Duramax and Allison tranny. So far so good other than the interior is kind of chinsey.

As far as work trucks go when I bought the business from mom and dad I got a 69 GMC with a 671 jimmy and a 10 speed. This is the truck I learned to drive trucks on. It had a 3,000 gallon tank on it.

I also got a 78 International with a 1500 gallon tank (rolled it) and an 85 Nissan pickup.

Since then I've had:

85 Chevy toilet pumper

54 Ford toilet pumper

78 GMC 4x4 toilet pumper This truck would go anywhere. I had it in some DEEP mud holes. I miss that truck.

Two 97 F350 toilet pumpers. Still have one and the rest of the list too.

Aforementioned 99 F350 toilet pumper

99 International 4900 septic/toilet pumper with a 1700 gallon tank

Two 04 International 4300 toilet pumpers

06 International 4300 toilet pumper

06 International 7600 septic pumper with a 3400 gallon tank

Oh I forgot about the 99 F450 pos toilet pumer and the 01 F550 pos toilet pumper that I got rid of.
                    Last edited by Trent2; 01-02-2010, 04:39 AM. Reason: Oh I forgot about the 99 F450 pos toilet pumer and the 01 F550 pos toilet pumper that I got rid of.
                    www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

My dad was a car fanatic-antiques, classics (mostly Lincolns from the 1940's & 50's and Thunderbirds 55,56,57 all at the same time), and any well made or interesting car. There were always 5 or six around the house.
                      The ones he supplied me with were: (in succession)
                      1. Mercedes 1961? 190 sl convertable stick, cherry red, black interior,- rusted floor.
                      2, Jeep, exact replica of the one Elvis used in one of his beach movies, pink and purple with striped rag top. I had some fun in that.
                      3. Buick Riviera, damn that thing was fast! I'm lucky to still be alive.
                      4. Mustang, 67 fastback, 289, white with red interior, automatic. I'm lucky to still be alive.
                      5. Mercedes, 67?, 230sl, removable hard top, stick, cherry red, black interior. I'm lucky to still be alive.
                      6, 70 something Mustang II P.O.S., The first car I actually purchased myself - go figure. I guess I didn't inherit my dad's car genes. It did get me from Memphis to Nova Scotia and back - barely. I'm lucky to still be alive (because the exhaust leaked into the car)
                      "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                      X