Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Was Your First Car?

Show me the very first car you owned and how much you paid

Mine was a 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass 442 same color scheme as in the picture below. Paid $400 in 1980 earned by dredging golf balls in snake infested ponds and selling them for 25 cents each to the driving range owner. The nice ones I sold back to the proshop for $1

Attachment

The 'Lead Sled' smelled like a wet dog. Had no heat. The cassette player was duct taped to the dashboard. The passengers could see the road through the rusted out floor boards. I could spin the steering wheel in either direction 180 degrees and still be going straight

I miss that car
    Attached Files
    Last edited by plumberscrack; 07-19-2008, 07:46 PM.

Re: What Was Your First Car?

YEah, but a 442 has some serious business under the hood...great ole muscle car.

Mine was a '76 Ford Elite, 350/windsor...it jumped to 100 on the highway with little effort...so I was told, by a friend of course.

I used to be able to park it, rev the gas, turn off the ignition and depress the gas to get a naasssty flame to backfire out the exhaust...really impressed my friends back then.

Comment

lol great trick with the flame

Ford Elite? like Starky and Hutch?....coool

Comment

I still have my first car, I got it when I was 14 and finished building it when I was 19, a 1973 Camaro built on an Alston full tube chassis, powered by a 427 Rat motor with a Weiand supercharger and two nitrous systems.

Comment

Originally posted by Killertoiletspider View Post
          I still have my first car, I got it when I was 14 and finished building it when I was 19, a 1973 Camaro built on an Alston full tube chassis, powered by a 427 Rat motor with a Weiand supercharger and two nitrous systems.
          The fact that you still own it and some tree didn't jump onto the road and take it from you at that age says something about you...nice wheels.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
            The fact that you still own it and some tree didn't jump onto the road and take it from you at that age says something about you...nice wheels.
            It's never been driven on the street, it's not street legal.

Comment

My first car was a 1967 Ford Mustang, 289, 4 speed manual transmission, very similar to this one, 1967 Black Mustang

I bought it brand new as a high school graduation present to myself for $2400. I sold it to one of my cousins when I got drafted in 69. The Mustang was a great car but my all time favorite was a 1966 Pontiac GTO that I purchased when I got out of the Army in 71, 1966 Maroon Pontiac GTO.
              Last edited by BadgerDave; 07-17-2008, 06:11 PM.
              Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

http://www.glorene.com/auto/main/roc...s79cutlass.htm

Mine was a 79 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme, black with gray Landau top, black tinted windows, oversized rear tires I'd burn off every weekend.

Came with a 260 V8 and oh wonderful me dropped a 350 rocket in it that took smashing out the housing for the air conditioning to make it go.

What an awesome piece of machinery; I found my salvation in marijuana with the "purple haze" and learned more about the female reproductive system in that car than any book or special class at school could of ever taught me.

My only complaint? Seats would never recline; had to use the rear trunk lid for all flat surface engagements. I was the only guy who drove to school in the winter with assprints in the snow on the trunk lid that were shaped too fine to be mine.

Such a beautiful thing.
                Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 07-17-2008, 06:30 PM.
                Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
                  My first car was a 1967 Ford Mustang, 289, 4 speed manual transmission, very similar to this one, 1967 Black Mustang

I bought it brand new as a high school graduation present to myself for $2400. I sold it to one of my cousins when I got drafted in 69. The Mustang was a great car but my all time favorite was a 1966 Pontiac GTO that I purchased when I got out of the Army in 71, 1966 Maroon Pontiac GTO.

Gotta love those goats. A fine ride right there.

What's a shame is I really truly feel that the nostalgia of those vehicles will never be recreated in future generations.

I could be wrong.....but I can't see people oooo'n and ahhh'n over a 2001 honda accord or toyota camry, thirty years from now, do you?
                  Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

1955 Pan Head, basket case. bought it in '68 spent $375 for it with no guarantee everything was there, except the major parts. 8 months later and just under a grand i had the sweetest chopper in Mississippi & Alabama.

steve
                    In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Oh god, should I really admit this????????

1974 Ford 4 door LTD, then my brother crashed it into a guard rail (drunken Moron), but I was sort of happy. Now I wasn't driving around looking like an FBI agent....
                      Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

58 Studabaker 4 door. got it at the dump, needed a starter which in three years of driving it, I never put in. I would park it on hills or up on the curb to get it rolling. 3 on the tree 6 cyl. Amazing back seat, bigger than a living room couch and just as comfortable.

2nd car was a 69 Camaro SS convertible, 302, 4spd, 12 bolt posi rear.
                        sigpic

Comment

Can you say.....Yo Adrian

I wish I still had it.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...8_Trans-Am.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                            58 Studabaker 4 door. got it at the dump, needed a starter which in three years of driving it, I never put in. I would park it on hills or up on the curb to get it rolling. 3 on the tree 6 cyl. Amazing back seat, bigger than a living room couch and just as comfortable.

2nd car was a 69 Camaro SS convertible, 302, 4spd, 12 bolt posi rear.
                            Why did your Camaro have a Pontiac motor?

Comment

my first car was a Chevy Vega not sure of the year but it was all most 30 yrs ago and the car was at least 6 or 7 years old
                              Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                              http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                              http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Working...
                              X