Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 15 minutes!!!

Originally posted by Devine Plumbing View Post
    Working on cars is dangerous work. I did not know all of you guys were ASE certified.

Nice one there Devine

Comment

Originally posted by Devine Plumbing View Post
      Working on cars is dangerous work. I did not know all of you guys were ASE certified.
      Luckily, where I am there's no law stating I can't work on my own car.
      However..if you want we can swap calls....
      You call whatever authority in my state you feel might entertain your report, I'll call whatever authority might entertain mine in your state...sounds like fun to me.
      Wanna do it?

Comment

Originally posted by Masterplumb View Post
        Nice one there Devine
        I gotta get a jab in where I can
        Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
          Luckily, where I am there's no law stating I can't work on my own car.
          However..if you want we can swap calls....
          You call whatever authority in my state you feel might entertain your report, I'll call whatever authority might entertain mine in your state...sounds like fun to me.
          Wanna do it?
          Maybe another time Duck
          Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

Nothing on a car has ever taken me 15 minutes, think Murphy . But then again, pulling the engine from my 76 F100, pushing it out of garage, turning it around and pushing it back in garage, lowering engine into bed, towing said F100 to house to rebuild engine, then reversing whole procedure, all went rather smoothly.

Now the dual Stromberg carbs on my old 64 TR 4, that's a whole other story. And If it wasn't for the rusted out floor, where else was the rain water supposed to go?

Comment

When I'm not wrecking my truck.......

I just drive it and let everyone else do what they know best.

I used to be a backyard mechanic; I've replaced numerous transmissions in my vehicles, a few motors, anything from clutch/pressure plate/throwout bearing, alternators/starters, shocks/brakes/suspensions, you name it.

It's all a memory now and I have to represent what I preach to my customers, especially when I'm the guy called into be the cleanup guy to the slaughter of a plumbing fiasco they created with 4 trips to the big box store and calls to every family member, neighbor in a 200 mile radius.
              Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

I own two turbo diesels...no way I'll ever work on them.

The box van I bought, I fixed all the nonsense by dumping 13g's into a new motor, everything revolving around that, brakes/shocks/tires/wheel cylinders/rotors.....you name it.

Man on a mission but I'm willing to put new mirrors on, maybe some new lug nuts!
                Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

I am a do-it-yourselfer with many things around the house. But not my automobile! Thats gets a professional mechanic's handywork. I know how badly DIYers can botch plumbing and cars are no different. I let the PROs do what they do best.
                  Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

i do all the general stuff from water pumps, power steering, alternators, oil, brakes, trans filter, wiper blades

i find that it's at my convenience and there's not a whole lot of local mechanics that work on a tilt cab that weighs 14,000#.

i actually got lucky when my alternator went bad on it a couple months back.

it's a dealer only item as the alternator also has a rear shaft that powers a brake booster. i was less than a mile away from the closes dealer when it died. they had it in stock and back on the road in under an hour.

$85 for labor and under an hour i wasn't going to screw with it. especially since there's a $50 core deposit on this $500 alternator.

one of the main reasons for switching to a tilt cab was for access. ever try to get to all 8 plugs on a van?

a tilt cab is very nice to work on.

the first time i let joey borrow my tahoe for the day and she calls to let me know the power steering was broken.

the main drive shaft broke in half on the pump. joey still gets the blame

when you only have 1 main work truck, you need to keep it running. the 4 other cars are not a real good replacement.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                      I am a do-it-yourselfer with many things around the house. But not my automobile! Thats gets a professional mechanic's handywork. I know how badly DIYers can botch plumbing and cars are no different. I let the PROs do what they do best.
                      My options:
                      1) Two bolts, two plugs, $90 alternator (after core charge) & less than an hours time including two rides to the parts store.

2) Wait at least until Tuesday, because no auto shop will have a monday open (2 days lost work) plus a probable 2 hours labor at $75 with the alternator which I'd guess to be $150 with markup.

My material loss would have been $300, my overall loss with 2 days work...add at least $1600 (with whats scheduled so far)

$90 vs approximately $1900.
                      I'm all for having a pro do it, but sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do and my mechanics outta town for the week.
                      When I got the thing done I was amazed at how simple it was, literally fifteen minutes start to finish.

Comment

Dad brought me up with the rule that you do what you can yourself. I will do a good amount of work on my truck myself, but there are some things I can't. I don't have a computer yet to read the truck's diagnostics. Even if I did, there's some parts of a 5.8l turbo-diesel I just don't feel comfortable messing around with! If I had the tools, I know I could do the brakes, but I think right now my money's better spent on my own career than with purchasing tools I'll only use every 4 - 5 years.

Still, knowing what's going on and how a vehicle works is immensely helpful when I have to take it in for service. I've seen how mechanics try to intimidate females on service, and at least I can stand there and tell them they're full of it when I know what's wrong!
                        I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

I gave up working on vehicles about the time Trak Auto went bankrupt, 2002

I blew a fuse for the cigarette lighter in my 2005 work van. I needed the owners manual just to find the right fuse box. There are 2 on this van, one under the drivers seat and one under the hood. I counted the number of fuses, 65!! For a cargo van!! I gave up trying to find the blown fuse.

If the oil light didn't come on and tell me it's been 3,000 miles since last oil change I'd never lift the hood.
                          Last edited by plumberscrack; 07-20-2008, 09:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                            My truck is on a roll.
                            Two weeks ago my fuel pump went...$1K.
                            Last night the battery light came on, the voltage meter was reading low.
                            Today, I go out and disconnect the battery while it's running and yup...engine dies.
                            I run down to the parts store, get my new alternator with the lovely wifes car.
                            In fifteen minutes the new one was in, truck purring like a kitty.
                            I can do simple things like this, in fact it appears I'm gettin' good at it.
                            I'm curious as to how many of you do your own mechanical?
                            Theres a reason I own a 97 Ford F-350, I can still see it as an engine and be able to perform a good deal of the work. Newer Models, I'm dang near lost. But I also have 2 BIL's and an Uncle who are mechanics, so when I have no time, they'll get my trucks....
                            Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Originally posted by garager View Post
                              Theres a reason I own a 97 Ford F-350, I can still see it as an engine and be able to perform a good deal of the work. Newer Models, I'm dang near lost. But I also have 2 BIL's and an Uncle who are mechanics, so when I have no time, they'll get my trucks....
                              Ditto, NO foreign vehicles here...though a Toyota might be nice.

A good point for argument against hybrids as well...the seldom mentioned cost of maintanance & repair.

Comment

Both of my toyotas are extremely easy to work on. Toyota's engineers thought of everything when they designed them. Many of the routine tasks only require one wrench; ex. to change the oil in the tundra requires dropping the skid plate which uses the same size bolts as the oil pan bolt. Changing spark plugs is easy, not like ford where you can't get the last 2 in the back. These things last and are easy to work on.
                                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Working...
                                X