Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 15 minutes!!!

My truck is on a roll.
    Two weeks ago my fuel pump went...$1K.
    Last night the battery light came on, the voltage meter was reading low.
    Today, I go out and disconnect the battery while it's running and yup...engine dies.
    I run down to the parts store, get my new alternator with the lovely wifes car.
    In fifteen minutes the new one was in, truck purring like a kitty.
    I can do simple things like this, in fact it appears I'm gettin' good at it.
    I'm curious as to how many of you do your own mechanical?

Re: 15 minutes!!!

I do my own service but I've seem to forgotten how lately. Owning 2 toyotas makes you forget how to turn a wrench. Kinda like the maytag repairman syndrome.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I do my own, the worst was replacing the clutch on my 74 Triumph Spitfire, the first step in that process was removing the engine.

Comment

i do a big 0 it is not worth my time and it is not my trade . it takes me to long to do things and now with all the computer stuff on them no way
        Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
        http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
        http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
          i do a big 0 it is not worth my time and it is not my trade . it takes me to long to do things and now with all the computer stuff on them no way
          Until a year ago, same here.
          Then my power steering pump went, my mechanic was on vaca for the week and nobody could get me in within a few days...my schedule was rediculously full.

It was a nightmare...the pump had connections under the motor at odd angles and my socket set is just the essentials.
          I got that one done in 3 hours, bruised knuckles, cuts and scrapes...my mechanic had a good laugh as I recounted it with him.

Today, he's packing bags for a camping trip, NO time for me.
          I got it done in 15 minutes and called him to brag...another chuckle.

My schedule this week is too busy to wait for a mechanic to get to it on Tuesday or Wednesday, an alternator is very simple and quite frankly, I feel a HUGE sense of relief that it's done.

Comment

The only thing I do is oil changes, and tire rotations. Working on vehicles is another whole set of tools I have no desire to purchase. I actually enjoy paying the mechanic to do the work.
            Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

It depends as I don't even work on my motorcycles anymore. However, at one time I would be out in a service truck and I would get a call a truck needed a motor and the mechanic said he couldn't get to it for a week or so. I would ask Brenda to go pick up a long block and set up lights in the driveway. I would swap out the motor that night to keep the truck on the road and go back to work in the morning.

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by Killertoiletspider View Post
                I do my own, the worst was replacing the clutch on my 74 Triumph Spitfire, the first step in that process was removing the engine.
                I collect MGB's. Doing a clutch is a huge pain because just like the triumph the engine has to come out because you can't back the transmission off the hanger. I had a Spitfire for a while but got rid of it due to nasty rust problems. Nice looking car though.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                  It depends as I don't even work on my motorcycles anymore. However, at one time I would be out in a service truck and I would get a call a truck needed a motor and the mechanic said he couldn't get to it for a week or so. I would ask Brenda to go pick up a long block and set up lights in the driveway. I would swap out the motor that night to keep the truck on the road and go back to work in the morning.

Mark
                  Whoa!

That'd be a bit over my head...maybe I'm wrong, but I though an engine was a major project that took days.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                    Whoa!

That'd be a bit over my head...maybe I'm wrong, but I though an engine was a major project that took days.

Not when you installing a long block as it only involves bolt on stuff and dropping the engine in. With a pickup truck or step van I had it down to less than 8-hours. With a regular van it took longer as you had to pull the seats and the front end.

Mark

BTW: Having an engine hoist, a transmission jack, all of the pneumatic tools and a 60-gallon compressor in the garage helped as well.
                    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                      I collect MGB's. Doing a clutch is a huge pain because just like the triumph the engine has to come out because you can't back the transmission off the hanger. I had a Spitfire for a while but got rid of it due to nasty rust problems. Nice looking car though.
                      My Triumph is rust free, but it never sees winter, my 72 International Scout on the other hand, is not. I have replaced the fenders and quarters on it twice so far, and the original engine was scrapped for a Chevy 4.3 V6. My daughter just put an owie on her 16th birthday present, so I get to order a front bumper for a 68 Camaro on Monday. I have 5½ months to finish my sons 16th birthday present, a 72 GTO.

Comment

Ah, the International Scout. Don't that bring back memories. Fantastic Drive train, but unfortunatly in the North East most of them started rusting out the day they were delivered. My old man fought a loosing battle with rust on an International Harvester Wagon.

Over the years I've had Triumphs, Fiats, a Jag, two bug eye sprites and a Lotus Elan. For some reason (wife says I'm daft) I have a fondness for MGB's so at this point I have 5. Three running, one being restored and another in waiting. My barn if filled to the rafters with B parts also.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Killertoiletspider View Post
                          Never did the clutch but put a starter in a Midget, that was fun.
                          ---------------
                          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                          ---------------
                          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                          ---------
                          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                          ---------
                          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working on cars is dangerous work. I did not know all of you guys were ASE certified.
                            Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

Originally posted by Devine Plumbing View Post
                              Working on cars is dangerous work. I did not know all of you guys were ASE certified.
                              I design, engineer, and build stock car chassis, and have sold my designs to several large manufacturers, I think I just might be qualified to work on a passenger car.

Oh and most of my vehicles predate the ASE certification, it didn't mean a damn thing till the mid 80's.

Comment

Working...
                              X