X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The dumbest things you have ever seen

An incident I witnessed today got me thinking about people doing dumb stuff. We got hit hard early this morning with storms and all of my job sites were without power so I cleaned the shop and turned in some scrap. While I was at the scrap yard I saw a kid on a fork truck knock a 3/4" gas line off of a unit heater. It broke both before and after the shutoff. I was sitting in line waiting my turn so I get out and start tracing the gas line back looking for the closest shutoff. I finally find it back in the furthest corner of the building. I grabbed a pipe wrench out of my truck and shut the gas off and all was well.

It reminded me of a trip to Lowes last year where I saw a kid knock a sprinkler head off with the mast on a fork truck. It took them over a half hour to get the water shut off. Made one hell of a mess.

Surely someone can top this.

Andy

Re: The dumbest things you have ever seen

Job super on a commercial job refused to let the plumbers set up heat in dead winter.
    On a single digit day, one of the plumbers roughed some BM into the bldg from the gas, opened the meter stub and lit it.
    Got warm in that place real fast.

Comment

In the desert and a kid was running a bulldozer when he saw what looked to be a manhole cover. His boss told him to keep going. The kid refused, they started yelling at each other, the kid had his weapon taken away and everyone thought they were going to blows. Our gunney sergant wandered over and recognized the "manhole cover" as an anti-tank mine. We cleared the area and EOD came in and blew the mine in place. The kid was given a pat on the back and his boss was sent out of country for making bad choices(this wasn't his first one).
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Was on a steel-set crew doing a brand new Lowe's store a couple years ago. Was late on a Sunday afternoon, and the steel we were about to put up was going to block in a J-Box that a sparky had been working on on Friday, but was unable to finish. No wires pulled into the J-Box, but everything there to do a pull and close it up. Our steel would have made it impossible for the pull without removing the steel again on Monday morning. I went to the ramrod who was a Lowe's employee named Garland. Dumber than a box of rocks, but oh well. I approach him and tell him the dilemma and add that the sparky's aren't going to be happy Monday a.m. when they return to work and see the J-box inaccessible. First reply out of Garland's mouth is, (and I swear this is true) "What's a Sparky?" I explain. He looks mystified. Then he says it's not his G D problem if the electrician's J-box is blocked in and inaccessible. I don't argue, just walk back and put up the steel. Much wailing and gnashing of teeth Monday when the electrician comes back in and sees what we've done. Steel has to be removed so he can work. What's a feller to do?
        Jim Don
        Later find out that Garland is one of Lowe's super duper fair haired boys out of corporate, but still (IMO) dumber than a box of rocks. So there's another score for creating bad will between trades. Trick is to try to work TOGETHER and GET ALONG on projects, not intentionally throw roadblocks along the way and P!ss people off.

Comment

I think I maybe looking at it now

Oh I am gonna have hell to pay for that one
          I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
            I think I maybe looking at it now

Oh I am gonna have hell to pay for that one
            considering you don't pay for much of anything, i doub't you'll be paying for hell $$$.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Rick, what are doing?? That's the best comeback you can think of? Joey got you on that one.
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Need I say more.

Comment

Backwoods, hillbilly, southern drivers. Pure dumb.
                  Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Two very overweight parents with a stroller, the father trying to eat pizza with one hand and steer the stroller on a hard sloping hill.

He slips and tumbles, takes the stroller with him and rolls into the fence, kid falls out of the stroller.

The mother fell as well, and she did everything to try and keep the child in the stroller to save face from the crowd watching this whole thing unfold at a county fair.

So two fat people and a kid laying next to a fence, this guy after all of this has the nerve to pick his pizza that flung out of his hand off the ground, and start eating it as they walk away.
                    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

During the school year I pretty much see stupid on a daily basis. I don't go looking for it.
                      sigpic

Comment

When I was working my way through college at a local lumber yard, a customer came in and bought 10, 100lb bags of Portland cement. He had a Chevy Vega hatchback and wanted us to load all 10 bags in the back. We tried very hard (ok, not that hard) to convince him it was a bad idea but he wouldn't listen. Guess what happened to the Vega.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                          When I was working my way through college at a local lumber yard, a customer came in and bought 10, 100lb bags of Portland cement. He had a Chevy Vega hatchback and wanted us to load all 10 bags in the back. We tried very hard (ok, not that hard) to convince him it was a bad idea but he wouldn't listen. Guess what happened to the Vega.
                          As dumb as that sounds, I would be surprised if that resulted in a spectacular failure on a modern car; which all have 850lb limits. With a 150 lb person it is only 35% over the limit; and I have to think that they are engineered for more than a 35% safety margin. Don't know much about a Vega though.

Comment

The dumbest things you have ever seen?
                            Where to begin? Off the top of my head:

Pretty much all government and my inlaws.

More specifically, broken cable left in a drain line for the next guy to deal with.

Not necessarily in that order.

Comment

OK, here is dumb!
                              I found one of our apprentices covered with cutting oil and metal shavings. I asked if he was hurt and what happened. He said he was repairing a steam return leak( cutting out and threading in place) and the step ladder fell out from under him. Looking around I found no step ladder, only a two wheel dolly.
                              Yeah, since the dolly had rungs and was made of metal it was close enough to a step ladder for him.
                              Sharp as a spoon.
                              Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X