X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I quitted!

Well, I pulled the trigger and quit. It is a bit of a long story, and as much as I love to go on and on I'll refrain from my old company. For now.

So I went for an interview today for a sales position at the company where my gal works. I'm pretty sure I nailed it. If and when I get it I am going to look seriously at going back to school. I'm not sure for what yet, but this will be my last chance before I start having too many responsibilities.

The funny thing is I was named the top installer the day before I got fed up and decided to go. I think that may have been part of it to be honest. If I reached the top already (in two years) what the hell was the purpose of staying there for another two years. Besides money, security, etc...

In the mean time I started work on my dads kitchen. I am taking pics of the whole process and even remembered to snap some before pictures this time! I'll post em as I go along. It is going to turn out beautiful.

Ironically one of my biggest complaints about my company was the product being ordered wrong/manufactured wrong/short shipped etc. Well I unpacked my dads job and sure enough they short shipped a door!

There is no escape!!!!!!

Eli
    A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Re: I quitted!

Always consider movements in employment as stepping stones, reaching to a higher ground by using others to get there.

That's how I look at it, and it's the only way to get somewhere in life.

Amazingly, when you get somewhere, those you worked and "used" won't be hostile if you manage to get somewhere with the idea.

I'm still amicable with a few companies I worked for, even though they was predicting my failure the minute I walked out their door for a better opportunity.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Good luck with everything, hope it all works out for you....
      Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Good luck, Woodenstickers! I think you've made the right move. Scary as it is, sometimes you just gotta go. Congratulations on your decision. Keep looking forward and you'll find your way.
        I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

The #1 dude, they should have kept you and give you a raise. But you work for H.D., if I recall right....
          Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

You'll be better off. I have quit many jobs, and each time I rose up higher unitl now I own my own business. My step-dad used to think I was 'burning my bridges', but now he is proud and he sees I was just using jobs as 'stepping-stones'.
            Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

They were pretty sad I was leaving, but they all understand why after I explained it. I think if any bitterness is there it is a feeling of being left behind. I stopped by the office to get my last check (didn't have it ready--shocker) and everyone was happy to see me.

Yep, onward and upward. Thanks guys!

Eli

Comment

Good for you. by the way it's only one t and no ed
                sigpic

Comment

Eli, Good luck on the new job and going back to school. I don't think it matters too much what you go back for; I think the real value of a college degree is that you show that you can stick with something and see it through to its logical conclusion even though it is not always enjoyable along the way. I don't know if you are planning on having kids (you did allude to larger responsibilities, and there is none bigger), but you should definitely try to get the ball rolling (w/ respect to school) and well on its way before you have them. Even finishing up school with kids can be really hard; because when you have competing demands on your time from school, kids, and work usually work then kids win leaving no time for school.

Comment

congratulations and good luck. you took a big and fearful step. the 1st on a long road to success

steve
                    In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Good luck and I sure hope things work out well for you. One thing you may have to look into is if you and your soon to become wife (maybe she is your wife now) can work together. Many companies are funny in that if there are two people employed that do love each other then one must leave and fast. This is to help prevent family/lover fighting later on.

Example: I'm the boss so you must do as I say. But don't you love me and want what's best for me? Understand this. At work I have no choice but to demand what's best for the company. But, But I can't stand doing it that way. STOP with your "Little Waaa Waaa games or you'll get us both fired. *&^%$#@$ %$#@ yourself you *&^%$

I hope you get the idea of the above. That's why many companies do not allow two people that are good friends or lovers to work for them. One or both have to leave once it's found out that two or more people have special feelings toward each other.
                      Last edited by Woussko; 07-23-2008, 12:16 AM.

Comment

eli, my first reaction was you quit smoking as so many have on this forum

but after reading more, i realized you left your job of 2 years.

actually it's not because your lazy. it's actually just the opposite. you're a go getter.

get your schooling finished, get your career happening

and get "your girl" to become your wife

just look at joey and me

best of luck and does that mean you need to change your avatar

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Congratulations on a step toward a new life. I wish you all the best.

In another life, without question, the biggest regrets my wife heard from students was they didn't complete college when they were younger and responsibilities were fewer. (Including my daughter who, with two kids, is now working toward another graduate degree. We told her so...)

To paraphrase CPW, completion of a course of study, no matter the major, is important. To that end if you have the chance to integrate your existing credits toward a two year degree, do it. It will be something completed, then build on that, studying for a bachelors degree.

One of my pals talked all of his kids, three girls and one boy, into becoming registered nurses - in New York State a two year degree - they then went on to bachelors degrees in other fields. The value was that when they needed work between semesters they weren't asking, "...would you like fries with that?" They were able to make good bucks. Plus, if work in their chosen field was ever short, nurses are in short supply and they can get per-diem jobs almost any place.

Comment

Thanks guys!

I am not sure what I will go back to school for, I plan to take a moment to consider it carefully because this will be my best chance to do it. I love carpentry but thought of it as a fall back position, and it has served me well that way. One good thing about this sales job is the schedule and down time between customers lends itself to a school schedule and lots of time to study. They encourage it. The company also seems to have the opposite culture of my last one-everyone I know who works there loves the company.

Minh is a manager of a store near me, we won't be allowed to work in the same store but there are many couples and family members who work for the company. They have so many stores that they just keep you separated that way.

I don't know if I really have the time to put into a degree, though I am not sure, but I know that whatever I decide, be it radiology or refrigeration or med school I want to come out of it with a ticket to a good job in a field that is recession resistant.

Jeeze. It is going to be different wearing a shirt and tie to work instead of dickies and boots!

Thanks again for all the support everyone. It really means a lot and has settled my stomach more than a little bit.

Eli

Comment

Working...
                            X