X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moutain Bikes

Ok... so I am starting to look for a mountain bike... ya know since ohio has so many mountains .

Seriously though... just want something I can ride trails with as well as riding with Helen and the boys.

Anyone else into riding... and if so what do ya ride.

I am starting from square one on the search... all i know is I need a 26" frame.

Josh

Re: Moutain Bikes

Call adam.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
      Call adam.
      adam has gone from the plumbing forum to mountain bike forum

although i did have a nice talk with him today

get him back here

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Do you need an actual mountain bike with suspension? Or are you looking for a mountain bike geometry that you can ride gentle trails and streets?

If you don't intend to be beating on it and using it for what it was intended, don't get a mountain bike. The suspension on mountain bikes plus the knobby tires suck up a lot of your effort and you put out more energy than you get in return from the bike.

I am a very avid cyclist, I typically ride 200 miles or more per week. I have a very nice and very expensive carbon fiber road bike, but I also have a very nice hybrid I use to ride with the wife and kids. I don't mountain bike, so the hybrid was the way to go for me. It has a much more comfortable upright riding position over my road bike, but has no suspension and and smooth tires. The bike I bought is in the Trek FX series of bikes. ( http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/2008/road/fx/72fx/ )

The link is the basic version of the FX series and they go up from there. If you are a begining rider that just wants to go out and tool around the neighborhood or go on 50 mile or less rides, the lower end will be fine. I myself bought a much higher upper end FX series bike, but I ride seriously and hard and fast.

My wife also has a FX series bike and she loves too.

Stay away from the cheap box store bikes, they aren't going to do you any good. All the good brands make a nice hybrid nowadays. Trek, Giant, Gary Fischer, and on and on..........

When you are shopping, shop for the best componentry you can afford and be honest about how much you plan to ride so you don't over buy. My last bike cost me $4000+ but it does what I want it to do, and it does it several hundred miles a week. My FX cost me 1/4 of that roughly, and it does what I need to do as well, diffrent purposes and diffrent bikes.

Jeff

Comment

Yeah.. I talked with him the other day about biking. He is in it all the way now. I look forward to him posting here again but very happy he has found a hobby he is passionate about. Thought maybe it was gonna be golf. but bikes are cool too

Josh

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          adam has gone from the plumbing forum to mountain bike forum

although i did have a nice talk with him today

get him back here

rick.

Comment

I've been riding mountain bikes for the last 8 years. If you intend on hitting trails of even easy to moderate difficulty I suggest you go to a bike shop and get fitted for a real mountain bike. I would caution you against buying a big box store bike and taking it off road. These bikes only look like mountain bikes and usually have disclaimers against off-road use. They can be quite dangerous and will not stand up to even light mountain biking. It really depends on how serious you intend on getting into the mountain part of it.
            I believe you are well over 6' tall so you will need and extra large frame, around 20" or 21". You will only be able to get this at a bike shop. Proper fit is very important. My current bike is this but I suspect this is a whole lot more than you'd care to spend I also recommend you check out www.mtbr.com for any mountain bike info.

Comment

Walk over here across the hall and talk to Don. He puts about 4000 a year on his mountain and road bikes. Plus he knows the local trails and dealers.
              Last edited by smorris; 07-23-2008, 01:40 PM.
              Steve
              www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

I have a Trek hybrid that I like a lot. I am a casual rider and the hybrid is fine for off road as well as street use. I am 6'3" tall and the bike shop fit the bike to me perfectly, something a big box store may now be able to do. An intrinsic value of buying from a bike shop is, when the thing breaks they will be there for you.

Once you have a bike there will be no question about what someone can buy for you as gifts. There are tons of inexpensive accessories available for bikes.

Comment

rick what is the site adam is on we can go and say hi to him there

Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                  http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                  http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

I've mountained biked on and off for the last 8 years. I have a older trek 920 that I fitted with answer front shocks and I also raised the front neck up a inch to fit me better. I suggest going to bike shop and getting fitted for a bike. They will fit you to a bike and also give you one that meets your needs. Plus you know where you can get it tuned up. If your doing causal light riding, no need to waste money on disc brakes and upgraded derailers/shifter, rear suspension etc. Also, if most of your riding is on flat roads, you won't need a rear suspension and hybrid might actually be better for you. Actually I know alot of bikers who perfer hard tails (no rear suspension) in the trails vs a fully suspended bike. If you do most of your riding on roads, I would suggest a hybrid vs mountain bike. A mountain bike will force you to lean more towards the front which will become uncomfortable for extended street riding. This is perferred in the trails because it providers better balance and you can shift your weight easier.

Comment

Working...
                    X