X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I need a computer geek help...

sorry I am too late on this but in the future one of us with the same operating system could have sent you the missing file and you could have copied it into your system32 directory (if you trust the person sending the file). Could also have been a registry issue. Always nice to have a fresh system load.
    You can backup your favorites by copying the folder C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Favorites to a usb drive then restoring it after the reload. This example is for XP pro but others are similar, just do a file search for favorites

Comment

Well, it's fixed anyway! The drop back and punt method will usually fix what's wrong. It's always my last resort, but it works. Sounds like somehow the defrag console program got corrupted. The .msc extension on a file name in windows indicates a management console application. If that one file is corrupt, something caused it to happen. By wiping out and re-installing you probably fixed numerous problems that would have surfaced over a period of time. I'm glad you got it fixed, albeit through a lot of work and hassle. Good job, Garager. Sorry I got here too late to help you out, but I'm glad you're up and running again!
      I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Corrupted files tend to happen every now and then. Just keep an eye out for when it happens on a fairly frequent basis. Keep in mind there could be more of them you are just not aware off. That tends to be an indication of the beginnings of hardware failure, most likely harddrive with bad sectors. That means the disk is unable to read or write to certain parts of the disk. Files on those bad sectors would be the corrupted and unrecoverable. Occasionally run a full error check disk diagnostic from the disk tools and pay attention to the surface scan test which checks for bad sectors. Windows can remap them if it's not too severe but if new ones keep popping up with frequency it's time to look into a new drive before catastrophic failure.

Comment

Originally posted by garager View Post
          Thanks for all the replies....

Tinmac, yes this is a second problem, but not the same. I was able to fix my first one with in Command. This one I ended up doing another reinstall. All my info and documents and pictures I store on the net in different places. So I don't lose any of that. What I do lose is my favorites, but most of those I have written down. But by doing this, I get a brand new computer, no bugs, quick speed. But it does take some time. I had time today, because I took the day off, I'm between jobs right now....

So basically my problem is now fixed.... Thanks again you all.....
          The reload always does the trick........good to hear you're back running.
          I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

Originally posted by Velosapien View Post
            Corrupted files tend to happen every now and then. Just keep an eye out for when it happens on a fairly frequent basis. Keep in mind there could be more of them you are just not aware off. That tends to be an indication of the beginnings of hardware failure, most likely harddrive with bad sectors. That means the disk is unable to read or write to certain parts of the disk. Files on those bad sectors would be the corrupted and unrecoverable. Occasionally run a full error check disk diagnostic from the disk tools and pay attention to the surface scan test which checks for bad sectors. Windows can remap them if it's not too severe but if new ones keep popping up with frequency it's time to look into a new drive before catastrophic failure.
            This is the way to correct that problem...

Go to the command prompt. click run and then type cmd and then click ok.
            on the command prompt type chkdsk /r /f then press enter, then a small window will pop uo saying that you need to schedule a scan after the computer reboots,just click ok or yes. after that restart the computer. This will check the HDD for bad sector or bad cluster and then fix it, this may take time depending on the problem (if there is). I do not think it is cause of virus for you can use it for over a month, mostly if you are infected your computer will not last long.
            Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

- defragmentation can be run from command prompt

c:\ defrag

it won't show the pretty picture while the defragmenting is taking place but it works and is faster than graphical. That's what I use on all my computers and I schedule defrag to run automatically every day at night, takes less than 5 minutes per machine.

- if files get corrupted and you treasure your data it's time to get a new hard disk

chkdsk suggestion above is a good one and may fix issues for years to come, or for just a few hours.

With computer hard disks it's not a question of "if" but "when" they will fail.
              In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.

Comment

If you want to defrag your computer and your running XP go to My Computer press on Local Drive which is normally the C drive while the mouse arrow is on the C drive icon right click on your mouse and at the bottom of the pop up press Tools and then press Defragmentation and then click the Defrag Now box and that`s all there is to it.

Tony

Comment

Working...
                X