X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need a computer geek help...

And I don't mean it in a harsh way, heres my problem, can you help me???

I got a little computer problem.

I lost defrag in my start, all program, accessories, system tools, defrag.

Also lost it in start, my computer, right click local disk (c, property, tools defrag.

When I click on the defrag in either area this is what I get in a pop up blue box..

Microsoft Management Console

MMC cannot open the file c:\windows\system32\dfrg.msc.
    This may be because the file does not exist, is not an MMC console,
    or was created by a later version of MMC. This may also be
    because you do not have sufficient access rights to the file.

But if I go to
    Start
    Run
    type in, Compmgmt.msc
    Then click on, Disk Defragmenter

Then it'll run this way. My question is, how in the hell to I get it back and recognized in those first two areas that I mentioned? It has always worked in there, and I haven't a clue as to why it is no longer being recognized. Can you help me out????
    Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Re: I need a computer geek help...

Originally posted by garager View Post
    And I don't mean it in a harsh way, heres my problem, can you help me???

I got a little computer problem.

I lost defrag in my start, all program, accessories, system tools, defrag.

Also lost it in start, my computer, right click local disk (c, property, tools defrag.

When I click on the defrag in either area this is what I get in a pop up blue box..

But if I go to
    Start
    Run
    type in, Compmgmt.msc

Then it'll run this way. My question is, how in the hell to I get it back and recognized in those first two areas that I mentioned? It has always worked in there, and I haven't a clue as to why it is no longer being recognized. Can you help me out????
    Somehow I think this might have been directed at me. I honestly don't know the answer, but my first inclination is to see if the file exists at all by opening c:\windows\system32 in explorer (or just start run "C:\Windows\System32").

Comment

From what you said, it sounds like the program is still there but you have to hunt for it.

Have you tried restoring your system to an earlier date?

Comment

My question was directed towards anyone who knows what to do.

The file does not exist in there, this is why I'm asking how can I get it back into there, window explorer. But the program does exist in my computer.
        Start
        Run
        type in, Compmgmt.msc
        Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
          From what you said, it sounds like the program is still there but you have to hunt for it.

Have you tried restoring your system to an earlier date?
          My problem was some time ago and I'm talking probably months. So to do a restore way back when (not sure really when) that would be a no no. I can bring it up, but how would I create another file and place it into window explorer?

From what I can bring up, I can't find a hidden file some where to do anything. I either live with my problem or try and fix it or buy another defrag software, but I just wanna try to fix it, I like short cuts to programs...

Comment

Originally posted by garager View Post
            My problem was some time ago and I'm talking probably months. So to do a restore way back when (not sure really when) that would be a no no. I can bring it up, but how would I create another file and place it into window explorer?

From what I can bring up, I can't find a hidden file some where to do anything. I either live with my problem or try and fix it or buy another defrag software, but I just wanna try to fix it, I like short cuts to programs...
            Can you do start, search, "all files and folders" for the dfrg.msc and see if it show sup anywhere on the hard disk? In the advanced options make sure that "Search system folders" and "Search hidden files and folders" are checked.

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
              Can you do start, search, "all files and folders" for the dfrg.msc and see if it show sup anywhere on the hard disk? In the advanced options make sure that "Search system folders" and "Search hidden files and folders" are checked.
              Ya its there in the all files and folders, but when I click on it, I get the blue box.

Its like its there but empty, strange and I don't know how this could have happened.

Comment

Here are some possible solutions. See if any of these work for you:
                http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/...rgmsc-problem/

If the file is still there it looks like the console file might have been corrupted or for some reason modified in a way it's no longer recognized as valid.
                Last edited by Velosapien; 07-23-2008, 11:57 AM.

Comment

Garager, I can't offer a solution to your problem but how old is the computer/hard drive? Can you back up important files just in case things get worse real fast? I say this because my hard drive broke and I lost everything. Luckily it only cost me $125 for a new hard drive and programs to get back up and running. Just want you to take precautions.

Comment

The easiest way IF you have the OEM disk is put it in your drive. Let in run and it will ask you what you want to do. Click on the fix window button and it should fix the problem.

If you don't have disk or it is a 3rd party system go into your start, all programs and see if there is a program such as HP repair or pc tools and look for a repair tool for your system.

Third option would be the dreaded call to never never land and see if they can help.

shup

Comment

Take it to your local computer guy and get him to do a full reload - after backing up your important files of course.

This is the second problem in as many months, isn't it? You might need a wipe and reload to freshen things up. I get my computer tech to wipe mine and reload every year or two. Even more so if you're surfing the web a lot.........
                      I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

go to the site below and sign up then ask Kat your problem she will know she can fix it for you
                        i will copy your post and put it there and see what they say
                        Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                        http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                        http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

I never heard of a wipe and reload. What is it? I have two laptops and a PC. The PC is three years old and it seems as if it is running slower than I remember. It also might just be because the laptops are newer and faster thus making the PC only seem slower than what it is. Might a wipe and reload help? I don't know how to back-up anything except to copy things to a Kingston drive. Will a computer shop be able to back-up any files for me? Will I need to bring the shop all my program CDs?

As an aside I hate windows. I learned computing on mainframes, hard wired to terminals, when we had to write and imbed instructions. On the old PCs, at three o'clock in the morning, when the computer gave you problems you could remedy the problems by looking in the 1,000 page book that came with every computer sold. Now what? You call some three dollar a day, toothless appendage to the wet end of a cigarette in Bangalore who just came in from feeding his sheep. Freaks!

Comment

Garager

First things first, please

1. If you can do to be sure to fully backup all of your important work files to CD-R, DVD-R disks or to an external hard drive. Don't chance loosing your hard work or you really will have reason to be howling. Anymore having an external USB 2 hard drive is almost a must have item. Burning CDs or DVDs is good but you must watch capacity and also have a good program to use for doing it.

Again one way or another backup backup backup.

2. While this isn't a fix it may help you get to Disk Defragmenter with less efforts.

While at your main desktop look for the icon My Computer and double left click it. The look at the icons one (or more) of which are your hard drive(s). Pick the one you want and right click it and then left click on Properties and then on Tools. You should see Error-Checking, Defragmentation and Backup. This depends on what version of Windows you have, but I'm assuming a current one like XP or XP Pro. Can you find this stuff there? If yes, try things and see if they work. Then please come back and tell about it.

The Wipe & Reload is not for the light hearted. It's a process where you boot from either a diskette or CD that has a special program that totally overwrites every bit of your hard drive. This it to be sure it really is clean and has no evil anything on it. The reload is to first install needed drivers and then to install the operating system. Next comes installation of anti-virus programs, updates for the operating system and then all the programs you use. It's a real PITA at best to go through but it will restore your computer back to like when you first got it. If the hard drive(s) are on the older side now would be a good time to install a new one or two. In many cases you can buy higher performance hard drives and boost your PC some. It's also a good time to think about maybe adding more RAM memory as well.

The Wipe & Reload and adding memory and installation of hard drives should really be done by a good tech. DIYing it normally only leads to mush frustration. A good tech that does this stuff all the time knows shortcuts and the correct order of doing each step. He/she should have access to good drivers for everything you use with your computer and also should know about any really worthwhile updates to programs you use. I am not the right person for this. I know only enough to get myself into trouble big time.
                            Last edited by Woussko; 07-23-2008, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies....

Tinmac, yes this is a second problem, but not the same. I was able to fix my first one with in Command. This one I ended up doing another reinstall. All my info and documents and pictures I store on the net in different places. So I don't lose any of that. What I do lose is my favorites, but most of those I have written down. But by doing this, I get a brand new computer, no bugs, quick speed. But it does take some time. I had time today, because I took the day off, I'm between jobs right now....

So basically my problem is now fixed.... Thanks again you all.....

Comment

Working...
                              X