X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel breakthrough?

Sitting in a hospital waiting room last night, picked up a copy of Motor Trend and found an article on a Company called Coskata inc.

Apparently they've found a way to make ethanol for $1 a gallon out of almost anything organic...even tires.

The process apparently yields almost 8 times the energy it consumes to create the ethanol.

This is a story I found online, interesting stuff -
    Coskata CEO explains how to get to $1 a gallon ethanol | Green Tech - CNET News.com

Re: Fuel breakthrough?

It is similar to what they have termed cellulosic ethanol production. It involves the use of microbes and the easiest route is to use prairie grass or bromegrass. The entire plant gets used to make ethanol, not just the seeds like corn. I think this will be an emerging technology because microbes and enzymes can be genetically made to feed on a host of different materials, and the end waste product is usually methane, ethanol, or some other type of useful material. They are building a large cellulosic ethanol plant in Tennessee that will not use any corn to produce ethanol, hopefully reducing the cost of feed for animals and thus reducing our food costs.

Comment

It sure does sound promising. I hope for a greener, cleaner, more economic future for our energy.
      Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

I read that they can use algae to produce ethanol and bio-diesel.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/scie...h/4213775.html

Comment

There are lots of really cool things out there, I really hope that at least one of them pans out and someone becomes really rich producing cheap gasoline.

"There are no great limits to growth because there are no limits of human intelligence, imagination, and wonder." - Ronald Reagan

Comment

It ain't going to hit the market anytime soon, we still have Bush in the Office and the oil men will fight anything trying to come out, unless they have their hands in it....
            Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Originally posted by garager View Post
              It ain't going to hit the market anytime soon, we still have Bush in the Office and the oil men will fight anything trying to come out, unless they have their hands in it....
              Bush still in office? What about when Clinton was in office, he was there for 8 years too you know, how come he didn't do anything about oil independence? Or does he just get a free pass?

Comment

Calm down, no one is perfect....
                Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                  Sitting in a hospital waiting room last night, picked up a copy of Motor Trend and found an article on a Company called Coskata inc.

Apparently they've found a way to make ethanol for $1 a gallon out of almost anything organic...even tires.

The process apparently yields almost 8 times the energy it consumes to create the ethanol.

This is a story I found online, interesting stuff -
                  Coskata CEO explains how to get to $1 a gallon ethanol | Green Tech - CNET News.com
                  I hope everyone is ok.

Comment

Yup, there's all kinds of cool stuff out there that we don't fully understand but are perfectly willing to create and unleash on the world ecology. What makes any of us think that our government can do this right?

They can't even coordinate a evacuation from a flooded city like New Orleans.

Be careful what you wish for. Once those nanytes are loose we are in deep doo-doo
                    ---------------
                    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                    ---------------
                    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                    ---------
                    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                    ---------
                    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I would like to be more positive like most fo you guys, but there seems to always be a backlash for many of these things that sound so promising. Remember the African Bee experiment? Microbes capable of digesting old tires? Super Algae? This is the stuff of horror movies! Just in case I'm not around to fight the monsters that rise from these experiments here are some tried and true weapons. Start with fire, next try to freeze them, sea water sometimes works, electricity( electricution). I know some of you guys will want to nuke them but that might cuase more trouble. Good luck!

Comment

Don't forget about the Kudzu down South.
                        When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Comment

If they can make ethanol from brazillian pepper trees I may be able to retire sooner than I think!
                          Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Masterplumb View Post
                            I hope everyone is ok.
                            Routine MRI, we had to take a night appt or wait 500 years for a daytime.
                            Thank you for asking.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                              I would like to be more positive like most fo you guys, but there seems to always be a backlash for many of these things that sound so promising. Remember the African Bee experiment? Microbes capable of digesting old tires? Super Algae? This is the stuff of horror movies! Just in case I'm not around to fight the monsters that rise from these experiments here are some tried and true weapons. Start with fire, next try to freeze them, sea water sometimes works, electricity( electricution). I know some of you guys will want to nuke them but that might cuase more trouble. Good luck!
                              The specific microbes in the article relevant to this thread are not engineered, they naturally occur in volcanic vents on the sea floor, they die when exposed to oxygen.

Though I had heard of a potential way to mass produce hydrogen using E-coli ...apparently they give off hydrogen as a by-product.

Comment

Working...
                              X