X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone like Bluegrass?

Here in Clarke County we have our annual Watermelon Park Festival. This year the dates are September 18-20. I'll be there by Thursday (the 18th) morning setting up my tent and a couple others. The list of performers is impressive. It's a tremendous event and has been gaining popularity over the years. This year, they are putting up wind power for the event, so I'm excited to see how that will work. You can check out the website and list of performers here. They also have directions and lots of information about the event. It's a bit pricey at $50 for the full weekend, but it's one of the best bluegrass events around. If you want to find me, I'll have my little blue tent setup near the river to the left of the stage. Stop by!! If I'm there, you'll more than likely be welcome to a frosty beverage or two! Hope some of you can make it. It's really a great weekend.
    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Re: Anyone like Bluegrass?

Love it. Check out David Olney and Alison Krauss and Robert Plant's "Raising Sand". Not quite bluegrass but it's a great album.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

This is ours, when it was for free I went. When they commercialized the event I stopped. It used to be a free spirited event and lots of fun. Now beverages are way to much and they cater more to the tourist than the locals....

http://www.bayfrontblues.com/
      Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Thanks for the heads up Sandy

I couldn't get the event link to open

I'm not a huge fan of Bluegrass but I do like frosty beverages so maybe we'll show up

If you spot someone doing this---->>> it's probably me

What's under you tent? Some woodworking projects?

Post a reminder as we get closer I tend to forget stuff easily

Ben, I missed the Alison Krause/Robert Plant concert here last month

I'm still holding out on a Led Zepplin reunion tour

Comment

Originally posted by VASandy View Post
          Here in Clarke County we have our annual Watermelon Park Festival. ....Hope some of you can make it. It's really a great weekend.

Do they do the Watermelon Crawl?
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Removed by Woussko for special reasons.
            Last edited by Woussko; 08-02-2008, 08:38 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the YouTube link, Woussko

I didn't know their album was produced by T Bone Burnett

Comment

i love bluegrass and the newgrass that's out. big, big fans of String Cheese Incident & Yonder Mountain.

have fun, i can't make it. have a cold beverage for me.

steve
                In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Removed by Woussko for special reasons.
                  Last edited by Woussko; 08-02-2008, 08:39 PM. Reason: YouTube and this forum don't mix

Comment

I've always thought that Alison Krauss got better looking as she got older. Check CMT sometime and they have a "rising sand" concert.
                    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

My favorite blue grass musician is Stewie Griffin
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                        My favorite blue grass musician is Stewie Griffin
                        That is one of the greatest shows ever!!!!!

Comment

http://www.watermelonparkfest.com/index.html

Maybe that'll work!! The list of performers is pretty amazing. After reading a bit more, apparently they're offsetting the electrical draw with credits from a wind generator somewhere. Ah well....It'd be cool to see a bunch of windmills setup but I'm guessing they'd take up a LOT of space in the little park! Anyway, it'll be a great show. I'll post again as time gets closer. It'd be great to see some of y'all there.

Our group will be about 6-7 tents around a large firepit with an old-timey cooking rig set in there for makin dinner. Lots of cast iron. Might not be the only firepit setup that way, though! I'll try and make some woodcraft to set out by my tent as a sign.

Oh!! And yes, Stewie Griffin RULEZ!
                          I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Sandy

Are you inside where we have pay to get to where your tent is, or are you outside the park?

Anyone that's in the Washington, DC area may well have heard of Jack Fitzgerald that's CEO of FitzMall a local group of automobile and light truck dealers. Anyway, he buys only wind and hydro generated electric power for his dealerships. Yes, it comes off the main grid, but people with wind generators and/or hydro-electric generators feed into the grids and sell power. His company helps fund them. They are also big into animal abuse programs like the ASPCA and such.

I should add that as his main locations in MD they are putting up banks of solar cells on the roofs. They have in mind they might be able to run some night time security lighting from them. By day = charge batteries ... By night = run lights off batteries. Time will tell how well this works.

There is a good book (if I can find it) about people in Vermont that build small hydro-electric generators for use on small steams. They generate electricity to charge up large banks of storage batteries and power their home using a large DC to AC power inverter. I would assume they use an engine driven generator as needed.
                            Last edited by Woussko; 08-01-2008, 08:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
                              Sandy

Are you inside where we have pay to get to where your tent is, or are you outside the park?
                              this is the song that never ends, it goes on and on my friends.......
                              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Working...
                              X