Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gulp...oil.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: Gulp...oil.

    Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
    tl;dr
    ok
    A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: Gulp...oil.

      Originally posted by woodenstickers View Post
      So where are these record profits being made?
      For the majors the record profits are being made for exploration/drilling. The other two big parts are chemicals and refining, which are having their margins squeezed (even at the majors). The refining/chemical margins aren't so good, because the raw material is crude oil and that is going up faster than the end products.
      Last edited by cpw; 08-05-2008, 09:31 AM.

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: Gulp...oil.

        Originally posted by woodenstickers View Post
        ok


        It was too long a read for my beaty eyes last night.


        All I know is my carbon footprint is huge between my business/office and anything else that is brought to me by truck/train or plane.


        I don't have any way of stopping it unless I cease to exist, and I don't think where they drill, how they drill, or anything for this matter will curb the design.

        I for one would think that when the crunch does come, nascar should be a track without spectators, a wimbledon match with just the two playing and referees,

        a baseball game without hotdogs and apple pie. Just two teams in an empty stadium getting their 9 in.


        Extinguish the wasteful spending that associates with all the fuel burned in regards to entertainment value, including the short trip to walmart to buy $8.99 jewelry.


        All of the above will never happen, even with we really get soaring fuel prices.

        I am the spitting image of wasteful spending, with the desire to develop businesses I own for a better way of life. I can be judged the same as others judge me for my fuel consumption.
        Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: Gulp...oil.

          Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
          It was too long a read for my beaty eyes last night.


          All I know is my carbon footprint is huge between my business/office and anything else that is brought to me by truck/train or plane.


          I don't have any way of stopping it unless I cease to exist, and I don't think where they drill, how they drill, or anything for this matter will curb the design.

          I for one would think that when the crunch does come, nascar should be a track without spectators, a wimbledon match with just the two playing and referees,

          a baseball game without hotdogs and apple pie. Just two teams in an empty stadium getting their 9 in.


          Extinguish the wasteful spending that associates with all the fuel burned in regards to entertainment value, including the short trip to walmart to buy $8.99 jewelry.


          All of the above will never happen, even with we really get soaring fuel prices.

          I am the spitting image of wasteful spending, with the desire to develop businesses I own for a better way of life. I can be judged the same as others judge me for my fuel consumption.
          Agreed. Count me in too. The amount of waste I produce is huge. I am a consumer and I probably won't stop until I have no choice. I have moved further from the "grid" when I was younger, even contemplated attempts at becoming self sufficient and studied organic farming. But then I realized I like people to much to drop out of society so I went fishing instead and vowed to quit trying to rearrange deck chairs on the titanic. Every now and then I get distracted from the violin music by the creaking of the bow though.



          Eli
          A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: Gulp...oil.

            Here is something to think about....
            Canada exports more oil (mostly to you) than it imports.
            Our oil based products (gas, diesel, propane) have always been significantly more expensive here than in the US.
            I highly doubt that drilling in the US would help with consumer prices.
            OPEC has already stated that oil production/delivery is already higher than demand (ie no shortage)
            IMO the ridiculous price for crude is driven solely by market speculation, the only way to curb this is to increase the cost to speculate

            Comment


            • #21
              Re: Gulp...oil.

              I got a call from another forum member the other day.

              He found a fantastic deal on a larger truck, a steal.

              I need a larger truck like I need a new back, but the problem is I feel my stomache cramp every time I fill that tank as is.
              If I could find a cube van or box truck with a 4 cylinder, I'd go for it.
              As it stands now I am losing work for people who want free estimates on jobs my gut tells me won't pan out.
              We live 1/4 mile from our supermarket, yet even then I hesitate to drive unless it's a necessity.

              Comment


              • #22
                Re: Gulp...oil.

                Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                We live 1/4 mile from our supermarket, yet even then I hesitate to drive unless it's a necessity.
                When I lived close to the grocery store I actually didn't mind walking there. It is especially helpful if you can go with a baby stroller, because you can fit a lot of stuff in there and don't need to carry the bags home.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Re: Gulp...oil.

                  Oil is coming down because the market couldn't last at the high price's.

                  Oil is coming down because it is a election year.

                  Next spring gas will go up and we'll be here talking the same c.

                  shup

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Re: Gulp...oil.

                    Originally posted by shup View Post
                    Oil is coming down because the market couldn't last at the high price's.

                    Oil is coming down because it is a election year.

                    Next spring gas will go up and we'll be here talking the same c.

                    shup
                    Ironically I just popped back into this thread as I watch the stock market.

                    A thing I've noticed in the last two market surges on oil..
                    The price of gas sky-rockets then comes back down, but it never really goes back to the price it was before the surge, regardless what the cost of oil drops back down to.

                    Almost seems like an "engineered" market surge to keep us busy panicking over the prices, then relieved when it comes back down depsite it being higher than ever before the surge.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Re: Gulp...oil.

                      Originally posted by cpw View Post
                      When I lived close to the grocery store I actually didn't mind walking there. It is especially helpful if you can go with a baby stroller, because you can fit a lot of stuff in there and don't need to carry the bags home.
                      That won't happen.
                      Not with ten bags of groceries, crossing two major intersections with heavy traffic & a 20 minute walk each way.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Re: Gulp...oil.

                        Good post Eli. I believe that drilling will most likely bring down the price of oil but not significantly. I also believe that we will be able to do it faster then the 10 years that most people state.

                        I believe the only way to solve this crisis is to use every means available i.e. solar, wind, ethenol, oil, gas, nuclear, hydrogen, etc. Drilling is not going to solve the issue at hand by itself, but it will help in the big picture.

                        There are more concerns at hand then just price alone. There is national security to worry about. We need to become self sufficient at home. I for one will not give up my suv's......yet, and I bet many others feel the same too.

                        Oil is the lifeblood of this country, everything we do revolves around it. Even with new technologies that will come out and use alternate sources of energy you still will have people that have gasoline cars and oil fired water heaters and boilers that can not afford to convert. What about them?

                        Again, I am not against alternate sources of energy but we must realize that we need to drill now but we must also realize that we need to move foward with other technologies as well.

                        "I'm John McCain, and I approve this message"......"Im Barack Hussein Obama, I don't approve this message, wait....now I do.......No I really don't, wait let me ask my advisors um....... Ill get back to you on this issue at a later date"
                        Last edited by Masterplumb; 08-05-2008, 05:18 PM.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Re: Gulp...oil.

                          Thought I'd toss a lil' good news into the mix here.

                          Dow went up 330+ points today, oil dropped to just over $118/barrel.


                          I might celebrate by taking a ride around the block with my family.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Re: Gulp...oil.

                            Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                            I might celebrate by taking a ride around the block with my family.
                            My wife wanted to go out somewhere expensive, so I took her to the gas station.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Re: Gulp...oil.

                              Originally posted by cpw View Post
                              My wife wanted to go out somewhere expensive, so I took her to the gas station.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Re: Gulp...oil.

                                The info I got on refining was a short piece on cnn If I remember correctly. This of course has only because of the unusual flip in the product prices. Forever #2 fuel oil has been less expensive than gasolene. Are the refiners loosing money? I seriously doubt it.

                                I think one of the problems here is that no one person seems to be able to sort the whole mess out. The oil companies have thier side, politicians have a side and we the consumer are stuck in the pot with the press fanning the flames as usual.

                                Big oil. The argument about excessive profits has been raging ever since the first spear makers went into business. This is nothing new. Turn back to the beginning of the industrial revolution and the same arguments were made against the steel mills, oil companies, auto makers and whoever was able to create huge profit making corperations. But when you get down to it, this nation was built on private enterprise, large and small. Big oil employs tens of thousands of people world wide. Their profits pay our salaries. Our salaries buy goods at Wal Mart and the circle goes round and round. If we start putting limits on profits then we go down the road of socialism. Can the government be trusted to operate the big oil companies? And what's to stop them from taking over wal mart and home depot next because theymake too much money and finally what stops them from taking more money from your business (woops they are already doing that)

                                Invention and enterprise will change and drive the market. Problem is we have all been living in the " I want it now" society for so long that we just don't want to wait.
                                sigpic

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X