Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Bosch Litheon Turns up the Heat...

on the competition. The new 12volt MAX PS30 is going to send the competition back to the drawing boards. It has a three jaw chuck!! and two speeds, plus 220in/lbs of torque!

Also in the news lately, Milwaukee will be expanding its 12 Lithium ion family too.
    From July 23, 2008 Toologics post:
    Toologics editor Jude Herr is currently in Milwaukee attending a press conference where Milwaukee Tools is releasing ten new products! Fortunately, she's been sending in text messages with every new product announcement, so until she can get more information up about each of Milwaukee's ten new products, here's the list of what's been announced so far.

V18 Hammer Drill/Driver
    V18 Sawzall Model 2620-22
    V18 1/4" Hex Impact Driver Model #s: 2650-21 and 2650-22
    V18 6 1/2" Circular Saw Model # 2630-22
    V18 Work Light Model 49-24-0171
    V18 4 1/2" Cut Off Tool 2680-22
    V18 Jigsaw 2645-22
    V12 Hackzall (picture a miniature SAWZALL!) 2420-22
    V12 Compact Impact Driver

V12 Copper Tubing Cutter
    V12 Work Light 49-24-0145
    That's it for now! We'll have a lot more information about these new Milwaukee Tools published soon right here on Toologics.com!

WOW!! sign me up for some of that...

Now if Dewalt would ever release their smaller Li ion series...

I guess that's coming sometime.
    Last edited by PhilG.; 08-07-2008, 08:41 AM. Reason: typo
    Phil
    Tools Rule

Re: New Bosch Litheon Turns up the Heat...

Sorry Bosch but what's new about a 3 jaw keyless chuck on a drill?

As for the 12 Volt deal, the batteries if Li-Ion are still 3 cells. 10.8 or 12 it's how and when you take Voltage readings. The cells are either the normal 3.6 Volts (nominal) or in some cases a slightly different type that's 4.0 Volts (nominal) which TTI Milwaukee uses in their V series. In the case with Bosch my bet is they are just calling the battery 12 Volts and it's the same on the inside as their 10.8 Volt battery. If they added a cell to the 10.8 it would become a 14.4 Volt battery.

As for the new Milwaukee tools that is interesting. My bet is that Black & Decker which owns Dewalt and Porter-Cable will do up some new version of lighter weight super Li-Ion battery and tools soon. I bet Makita will get into the fight too and come out with a light weight and tiny line of 12 Volt and a big beast line of 36 Volt tools soon.

For now I think I'll stay with what I have and use mostly corded tools for any heavy work. The next 5 years should be wild to watch what comes along.

To anyone interested in what Milwaukee is up to and has coming out, try joining their Heavy Duty club. Then check their web site for news of new tools.

Comment

OG, -
      Bosch recently renamed their 10.8 volt tools to be more industry 'standard' for comparison sake and ALL the Bosch 10.8 volt tools were on closeout to try and move the units off the shelf at all the box stores so that they could start fresh with the 12 volt MAX line.

Makita is about to release its DF030DW drill/driver and TD090DW impact driver and Hitachi with its DB10DL drill/driver and thier WH10DL impact driver and they went with the 10.8 volt designation. The really cool part about the Hitachis are the unique 'stand-up' design.

And no, a three jaw chuck is nothing new - except for the micro drivers. RIDGID's R82007 had the first one and now the Bosch PS 30 has what appeears to be an even more compact version - for now.

Dewalt seems to be moving at its usual snail's pace in bringing their version out (in fact any of the 'other-than-18volt & up' LI lines) - presumably so that they can one-up everyone else's tools. I'll bet it will be soon - HD put those DW920 7.2 volt pivoting screwdrivers on closeout recently.

Since I tore up my shoulder, about 60% of the stuff I do now, I do it with the light weight micros, and they work just fine - (you just need to swap the battery a little more often) use it and just drop it in the tool pouch - it's almost unnoticed, but I still have the big guns - Mil V28, Ridgid 24v & DW 18volt, plus the *god forbid* corded tools when I need them.
      Phil
      Tools Rule

Comment

Originally posted by PhilG. View Post
        Makita is about to release its DF030DW drill/driver and TD090DW impact driver
        FYI: Local HD has the new TD090DW Makita 10.8V impact driver $149, hard case, 800 in/lb @ 2400 rpm, weighs 2lb. Batteries are advertised at 10.8V like the original Litheon batteries from Bosch.The battery packs look very similar in design (triangular-shaped) to Bosch Litheon, Milwaukee 12V and Ridgid 12V

**Local HD has combo 10.8V drill/driver+impact kit in stock
        Last edited by reConx; 08-16-2008, 12:02 AM. Reason: update

Comment

I have the Ridgid 14.4v drill now in my garage for working on stuff around the house. I also have the 18v hammer drill for the bigger work. There have been many times though when I wish I had a smaller drill for getting into small areas. That, and these newer compact drills weigh less than my 14.4v and have a handy flashlight.

Which of these newer drills do you think I should start looking at and does it matter if I get a drill/driver or an impact?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by reConx View Post
            The battery packs look very similar in design (triangular-shaped) to Bosch Litheon, Milwaukee 12V and Ridgid 12V

Uhmm, follow me here, if you take three cylindrically-shaped objects and provided that you aren't going to make it either a flat or stick battery pack, if you just wrap tape around them (to hold them firmly together), they will asume a triangular shape. I'm thinking that this package type lends itself to be the most convenient, easiest to manufacture, most ergonomically-shaped design.
            Just a guess.
            Phil
            Tools Rule

Comment

Originally posted by ghost View Post
              Which of these newer drills do you think I should start looking at and does it matter if I get a drill/driver or an impact?

Thanks!
              Try to get both! Drill/driver with a very versatile three jaw chuck (it can turn just about any accessory) and when you need more grunt, the impact picks up where the drill/driver leaves off. So far, the Bosch system has the most versatile micro system (most of it is not on their website yet). So far they have 5 tools, but soon there may be many more choices (by several brands) perhaps by Christmas / year end.
              Phil
              Tools Rule

Comment

Originally posted by PhilG. View Post
                [Bosch] --So far they have 5 tools, but soon there may be many more choices (by several brands) perhaps by Christmas / year end.
                I just realized that with these additions and the M Spector, this battery family has 6 tools!
                Last edited by PhilG.; 08-16-2008, 09:43 PM.
                Phil
                Tools Rule

Comment

Working...
                X