Energy Star Air Conditioner

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Energy Star Air Conditioner

Our 12-15 year old window air conditioner just gave up the ghost. We bought a new one which is Energy Star rated at 11. Both the old and new air conditioners are rated 5,000 btu. The new one doesn't seem to produce air as cold as the old one. Also the new one takes a couple minutes before the air becomes cold. Could this have something to do with being manufactured to Energy Star specifications?

-Tom

Re: Energy Star Air Conditioner

Welcome to the green world, where nothing works quite as well as it used to but you feel better cause you're not killing trees and baby seals.
    sigpic

Comment

Now I can buy an additional air conditioner for another window in the bedroom and run both simultaneously to achieve the same effect as the old one. Big savings there.

I think I will go cut down a tree. Unfortunately there aren't any Harp seals here.

Comment

Tom

Does the new AC cool the room off well over time like the older AC. If not it may not have a full charge. If almost new, I would return it for another. Put simple if the old one really does have the same BTU/Hr. rating but cools much better then the new one is defective. There is some truth that many new things just don't work like older ones.

Comment

Old Grunter,

Well... it does cool the room but not as fast as the old one. The air conditioner is new but there is a little problem. My wife bought it for me as a birthday present four or five years ago. It has been sitting in my shop in the box since then. The original plan was to put the old one in the shop and the new one in the bedroom but I never got around to it. I seldom work in the shop in the summer and when I do fans are generally good enough.

Lately however there are more and more neighborhood kids in the shop during the summer making pens and it would probably be more comfortable if there was air conditioning in there. I think I will buy another one and put it in the bedroom window and see if there is a discernable difference between the two new ones. If the newest one is better than the older new one I will take it back to where my wife bought it and see if they can check the charge.

I try to buy everything I can from independent business people and this was no exception. We have bought all our appliances from a mom and pop appliance sales/service business. Now, where the rubber meets the road, I bet that loyalty will pay off.

Thank you for the thought on the charge.

-Tom

Comment

If it's 5 years old since the manufacturing date it sure can't have much if anything of a leak. They don't hold much refrigerant. If you're real lucky it may be an R22 unit and can be tested for leaks, evacuated and recharged without much trouble. Do you know anyone that works on air conditioners (not auto) in your area? The appliance shop may have or know a good place to check it out. In some cases the sealed parts (compressor and coils) just might have a 5 year warranty and you may be in luck. If you know the manager/owner well he might be able to soft of fudge the purchase date a little on the bill of sale.

I hope this is a good quality name brand AC and not some brand X machine. Some of them just aren't worth bothering with, but they might replace it figuring a happy customer does come back with friends and that leads to $$$ and

Good luck and please keep us updated. It could also be that your old AC just happened to be underrated and is one of the few that happened to get everything just right. Put simple it may actually be doing more than it's rated at.
            Last edited by Old Grunter; 08-09-2008, 08:12 PM.

Comment

A 1/2 ton unit isn't worth working on. Buy a new one.
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

tom, our local costco has 5000 btu window air conditioners for $69.00

these are energy star listed and include an instant rebate from the local power company/ edison.

infact i was going to buy one for my camping trip and install it in my tent

at $69.00 you're not going to find anyone able to look at your unit.

even their larger uniits up to 15,000 btu's are still under $300.00

go check and see if you have any rebates on a new unit?

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Installed a 5 ton carrier 13 seer last week. Had to re-pour the pad, cut the bushes back another 2', move it 2' further away from the house for air circulation. Then the customer comes out, looks at it and has a fit because the damn thing's only slightly smaller than his SUV. Welcome to the Green World My Friend. Where nothing works quite as well as it used to.

Furthermore, you can't get them in your van anymore so you either have to have it delivered or buy a pick-up truck to get it on site. How's that for the old carbon footprint.?
                  sigpic

Comment

We don't have a Costco near us. I was planning to go to HD and buy one for $150.00 because I thought that was a bargain. I will investigate further now and check the Sunday paper for coupons. If Costco had them for $69.00 I bet there are other retailers who have them for a similar price.

I have suspected this Green stuff is a lot of bunk from the get-go. Not necessarily all of it but a lot. If the Greens had limited their efforts to awareness campaigns I would have been happy. I, and I am sure a lot of others, appreciate hearing of alternative ways to solve problems of daily living that can translate to a better environment. But they shoot themselves in the foot when all the factors are taken into consideration like your air conditioner installation situation. It is the same old deal - follow the money.

-Tom

Comment

Working...
                    X