Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Russia / Georgian conflict

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
    Confronted by the fact that most third world countries harbor such hatred for Americans and feel we're soft, so many that have begun to play that card as a tool for their own gain (how many more countries will threaten with nukes or WMD's for some form of leverage?).

I think right now our future hinges on decisions that may not be popular or desireable (Troops in Iraq for example).

I just don't see Obama handling any of it, at least not with his real track record in politics to date.

I think in the global perspective, it may be time to spank the kids.
    If Obama does get elected PResident which could very well happen, I have a feeling he will be forced to man up and real fast. Once he is responsible for the hard decisions there won't be time or wiggle room to step back and take the unpopular choices as he has in the past. He could afford to vote against the war in iraq because it was going to happen with or without him. Can you imagine him being in charge, recieving the same information and ignoring it? I don't think that would or will happen. I absolutely agree that we are past due for spanking the kids, I'd also like to see our russian relatives get a good beating for the way they've acted up. Throwing the UN out of the USA can never be a bad idea either.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
      If Obama does get elected PResident which could very well happen, I have a feeling he will be forced to man up and real fast. Once he is responsible for the hard decisions there won't be time or wiggle room to step back and take the unpopular choices as he has in the past. He could afford to vote against the war in iraq because it was going to happen with or without him. Can you imagine him being in charge, recieving the same information and ignoring it? I don't think that would or will happen. I absolutely agree that we are past due for spanking the kids, I'd also like to see our russian relatives get a good beating for the way they've acted up. Throwing the UN out of the USA can never be a bad idea either.
      He could afford to vote against the war in Iraq because he was not a senator at the time. He says he was against it but that is just hearsay as he was not a senator.

What he DID vote AGAINST was the surge. He still will NOT admit that it worked. Here have a look Carl and other non believers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCgPR3Qd2Os

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
        For that reason I say skip the campaign promises, & promises for "change" from the heavens above and vote McCain.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
          For that reason I say skip the campaign promises, & promises for "change" from the heavens above and vote McCain.
          Unfortunately McCain doesn't offer much of what I want either. He is sticking his head in the sand with our border security and the issue of illegals. Don't think he will do much differently than Obama, both will be useless. I think with the present condition of the economy, war in iraq,housing market and country in general, too many folks blame the current President and think McCain will be more of the same whether or not that is true. Both of these candidates are making worthless promises and both are probably beholden to lobbyists. Next election we will still be in need of change regardless of who gets the nod.

Comment

Here we go

http://abcnews.go.com/International/...5617271&page=1

Top link on Drudge Report

Interesting as it unfolds....
            Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by myakka View Post
              I'm no fan of this president, but no president runs our economy. We run it. If you have confidence enough to buy things other than food or gas then our economy will grow.
              The problem is that nowadays, pretty much nothing you buy will make the US economy grow. Take a walk around your house and see how many of the items you see are NOT made in China. Heck, this president, during his first election run used offices located in India for many of his election related operations. He changed that after someone pointed out that he should be a much subtler liar if he wants to win the elections.

Buying a made in China product may increase the value of someone's stock portfolio but this is paper money, and it's debatable if this is real money at all. The fact is that the US economy is in very, very bad shape, and the US Dollar is only a shadow of what it once was. It's only real value these days is that it's used as the official currency for oil transactions.

If the jobs stay abroad and if Euro takes the role of petro currency (as many anti-american countries would like to have, and as Saddam did and was punished for it) then this would be pretty much the end of the US as we have known it for the last 200+ years.

I'd disagree then that presidents do not run economies. They do when they allow the continuous export of jobs oversees and the destruction of American middle class.

My $0.02 CDN.
              In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.

Comment

Darius
                No man makes me buy anything from any one, least of all a president. I make my own choises. Government can only impead an economy Those who lead it determin the amount of impeadence.
                Mike

Comment

Originally posted by myakka View Post
                  Darius
                  No man makes me buy anything from any one, least of all a president. I make my own choises.
                  Mike, we can make choice only from the available options. Unfortunately, with each passing day fewer and fewer of these options offer a Made in USA stickers. Not only can they make you buy from whoever they decide you should buy, but they actually succeeded in forcing you to just that.

About the only freedom you have is to buy nearly nothing.
                  In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.

Comment

Darius
                    The choise of "made in America" was not taken away by government, its taken away by market forces.I trust market forces. By the way, with the drop in the dollar we reduce profitability for forien manufacturing companies that sell here. thereby improving our ability to,profitably, manufacture many items here for sale, both domesticly and abroad.
                    Mike

Comment

I made it to about page six so if any of this has been said, sorry in advance.
                      Eli, you made the statement you hope "oil will be obsolete soon." I hope not! Unless you want to fly to your vacation destination in a derigible(sp?). 90% of a barrell of oil goes to aviation fuel. Practically everything we take for granted is some sort of by product of oil. Plastics, of course. Even aspirin has components of oil in it not to mention the manufacturing of them. We'll all be working in Al Gore's garden with a hoe (no jokes please) and a bag of manure (that would be a hemp bag) if oil is phased out.
                      Regarding Russia and Georgia. There's no way we could give Russia a good thumping right now, not while we're in Iraq and certainly not in their back yard. But that doesn't mean we can't lean on them in other ways which is apparently what was done. And you can bet they are hoping and praying (oops, nix the praying part) that Obama will be elected. And knowing of some of Obama's past & present "friends", I wouldn't be at all surprised if Russia is actively working to get him elected from the inside. It all is reminiscient of the Alger Hiss-Whittaker Chambers days. I mean, look at all of the Hollywood narcissists out it full bloom. Listen to the looney stuff they're saying.
                      I would like to see us get in high gear and drill and recover more oil here. Build lots of nuclear power plants. Then when Russia threatens to withold it's supply of oil from us and Europe we say, "Screw you, that swords cuts two ways. If you aren't selling that means we aren't buying and it's gonna hurt you more than it hurts us." Maybe that's naive on my part but market forces work-even if you are communist.
                      "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                      X