Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: a question for the guitar players

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
    I almost hate to say this because it's kinda sacralidge but I truley have never played a Martin that I liked. Usually the action is high and stiff and I have never understood what all the fuss is about. I have a 30 year old Takamine\martin ripoff that plays and sounds circles around any Martin I've ever played. I usually beat on a Yamaha single cut away thin line acoustic that has been through the mill but it plays and sounds sweet.
    Ditto, ditto, ditto NH. Gotta' $50.00 Yamaha that'll run & outrun the $1000.00+ Martins all day.

Now Taylor is the best in the world in my opinion. You can pick up one of there low end models and a chord sounds bell-like and perfect. Still, I play at home or with friends once in a blue moon. Not even really good enoungh that I admit I play to alot of people. So, $50.00 used Yamaha beats Martin and Taylor all day long.

J.C.

Comment

well i DO love the sound of a cranked Marshall and have had several. but 100W is useless to me, as is a 50W. Hell my C-30 is almost too much amp. but the Reinhardt is a 1974X clone with a MV/TMB circuit.

Martins are hit or miss to me. the great ones are unbelievable but the rest are soso.

anyway i restrung the tele with the pure nickels and had about a half hour to play. bright but not as bright as gibsons Brite-wires. very articulate but not as easy to bend as the D'Addarios. nice full chords and i had no trouble getting a good strong palm mute thump. so far i like the strings

the Reinhardt was on 6 and i had nothing but a cord. no pedals just straight in

tomorrow i hope to get some more time on it. it really sings at 8 and is auditory nirvana dimed. just like a real Marshall.

steve
      In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

for an acoustic i have a Yamaha FG-365S from the mid 70s. a friend of mine worked for Yamaha Music Schools and got me this guitar for cost, sight unseen. i pais $125 brand new. it's a beautiful warm tone, but the frets are shot and the bridge is pulling up a bit.

now i'd love to have an old Guild big body D style. one of the big red ones. jesus christos what a wonderful instrument. but i very seldom play acoustic any nore so it probably would just be a waste

steve
        In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

I've been using Ernie Ball Super Slinky Nickel Wound .009 - .042 strings on my strat's and tele's for years...

Comment

9s are just too light. when they 1st came out it was a relief to go from Black Diamond Barbed Wire to the super slinky. it came with 2 or 3 high Es.

11s are what i would prefer to play but age and wrists dictate 10s

steve

Comment

Working...
            X