a question for the guitar players

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a question for the guitar players

i have 2 sets each of Curt Mangan strings (pure nickel & nickel wound) for trial. anybody here ever used them? any comments would be appreciated.

i'll probably restring the tele 1st but was curious what to expect.

steve
    In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Re: a question for the guitar players

nope

Comment

The pure nickle are brighter sounding but don't last quite as long. If you're like me and change strings often than go with the nickel.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
        The pure nickle are brighter sounding but don't last quite as long. If you're like me and change strings often than go with the nickel.
        what guitar(s) you play them on?

steve
        In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

This depends on what sound you want.

Jazz has thicker more bassey/muddy sounds, as does blues.

For rock with an electric, you want brighter high end to come through in distortion for harmonics and picking detail and legatto detail.

The guitar body also has a heavy influence on the sound, the harder the wood, the higher end the sound.

Muddy blues likes a softer wood for the body, a Les Paul is popular with metal heads for the harder wood and higher end output.

As far as strings are concerned, it's all a matter of what you play, the sound you like, and what guitar you have.

I've seen 500 gimmicks come out over the years, from "blue steel" to neat sounding alloy innercores.

In the end they're usually just a gimmick to lure buyers until the word gets out they're just the same as any strings.

I'm partial to Dean Markley.

Comment

I've been using cat gut but my neighbors are starting to notice the missing pets. I may have to switch to the Adamas 1818 (.012-.053) Phosphor Bronze just to be on the safe side.

Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

John Pearse on the acoustic. Whatever on the electric.

Just make sure the gauge is what you like. I like jazz-flat-wound strings on an electric. Sometimes hard to find and have there issues. Can be thicker (so you may have to file or even change the nut) and pull more tension to get to pitch in my opinion.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                I've been using cat gut but my neighbors are starting to notice the missing pets. I may have to switch to the Adamas 1818 (.012-.053) Phosphor Bronze just to be on the safe side.

Mark
                Nice fat ecoustic strings.
                Nylon for the lightening fast picking is pretty cool too.

I used .09 guage for a very short period years ago with thin picks, until I realized that with faster picking you might as well be slashing away at hairs.

I like 11's on electric because I do a lot of detailed picking, arpeggio's, and stuccato.

I use Dunlop Tortex .88 mm...nice thick picks to grab the strings for much finer detail, fewer missed notes and they have cork integrated into them to help the grip when yer fingers get sweaty.

Comment

ernie ball, earthwood med. .13-.56

Comment

I use mangans on the strat, Ernie Ball super slinky's on the Tele. The custom gets e ball slinky's and I pretty much use all d'dadario's or the acoustics cept for the 12 string which has martins on it cause the high g string tends not to break quite as fast.
                    sigpic

Comment

for the last 15 years i'd used D'Addario 10-46 exclusively. haven't even had my acoustic out of the case in probably 3 years. currently i have strat & tekle based on the 50s designs, and a SG Special. the tele is my #1

for picks i used to use Jazz IIs & Stubby purples. thebn i found V-Picks. my god these things are every bit the hype and more. i 've had a V-Pick Screamer for about 6 months and will order a dozen so i can keep 4 in each case.

my #1 amp is a Reinhardt 18W 1x12 combo with Bob's custom speaker (like a celestion only better). the closest thing to a vintage marshall i'll ever own or want to own any more.

my #2 amp is a Fender Princeton reverb (also was my primary gigging amp for 14 years) & #3 is a peavey C-30 combo.

anyway, i'm going to restring the tele and play for a while. no neighbors around, Jackie's still off island, and i can rock to my hearts content

steve

Comment

I use finger picks but haven't used a flat pick for years. When I did I liked the standard fender extra heavy. Still using the Fender Twin I bought 30 years ago, my son likes his marshall but I just can't get what I want out of it. there's a crap load of really good amps out there now though, not to mention effects and the like. Most of them take too much time for me to figure out so I typically crank in a little chorus, a bit of phase and pull distortion from the amp. My son has a yamaha effects processor that I guess will do anything you can imagine but it's got way too many buttons and lights for me on it and the book that came with it would take a month to get through.
                        sigpic

Comment

Not big on Marshall either, they only sound good when CRANKED.

Fender gets too muddy on distortion for my taste, you lose detail.

Peavey here, I like the sound at lower volumes, excellent high end and the neighbors aren't asking me to move.

I've generally preferred to mike my peavey at lower volumes into a PA/monitor system for louder playing (yeah, sigh, lotsa feedback trouble without a good directional mike)

For ecoustic I own a Yamaha, but it's not my ideal ecoustic.

I naturally share the taste for Martin, nothing surprising there...but the BEST ecoustic I have ever played is the Taylor made with Koa wood from Hawaii.

If you guys haven't tried one, DO, you'll be like a 16 year old again...sitting at the music store playing till the sales guy asks you to go.

All yours to the tune of about $2k.

Comment

I almost hate to say this because it's kinda sacralidge but I truley have never played a Martin that I liked. Usually the action is high and stiff and I have never understood what all the fuss is about. I have a 30 year old Takamine\martin ripoff that plays and sounds circles around any Martin I've ever played. I usually beat on a Yamaha single cut away thin line acoustic that has been through the mill but it plays and sounds sweet.
                            sigpic

Comment

I have a nylon string Ovation and a steel string Ovation but I am not very good with either of them. I have a friend who is big into Ovations (over 80) and he talked me into them. He also has some neat custom 10-string guitars.

Mark
                              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Working...
                              X