Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: President

You guys are nuts.
    I hope none of these radical totalitarian government interventions ever become true. If I wanted to live in oppression, I would move to North Korea! Actually they have closed borders and forced pledge of allegiance, etc...Pipestone Kid would love it there!

The USA is built on LIBERTY, not oppression.

p.s. Why should the government have any say in when or how my kids work, wrenchspinner? You can kma if you think you can vote my kids into work.
    Last edited by Service Guy; 08-12-2008, 11:32 AM.
    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
      I am only as serious as the original poster....a little over the top, me thinks.
      But your absolutely right. Free trade is essential to our economy. The problem of course is when trade isn't really free (e.g., the Chinese manipulating their currency); which we should respond to in kind with tarriffs. The idea that we can just unilatterally declare the price for a bushel of wheat is also silly [I don't think he was entirely serious on this]. Forget that Australia grows wheat. If wheat is expensive, then corn bread or rice starts to look pretty good. (The same way Canadian oil sands and Texas wind farms are beginning to look pretty good compared to OPEC oil).

I agree with a lot of what Pipestone Kid says, but not this point.

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
        I vote to close the borders to illegals and teach our own kids to mow the damn lawn as opposed to playing video games all day!!! And at 13 it should be required that they get a job after school!! These kids have no work ethic anymore and a lot of these parents are just enablers!
        Ya know something?

At 13 I had a job after school, I was doing my own chores at 8 or I didn't get to go out & play.
        he irony there is most kids have no interest in leaving their homes, video games and Spongebob have taken over.

Ask a 12 yr old to put his dishes in the dishwasher now and you face the possibility of the dept of social services investigating you for child abuse.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
          Ya know something?

At 13 I had a job after school, I was doing my own chores at 8 or I didn't get to go out & play.
          he irony there is most kids have no interest in leaving their homes, video games and Spongebob have taken over.

Ask a 12 yr old to put his dishes in the dishwasher now and you face the possibility of the dept of social services investigating you for child abuse.
          Yeah, so going in the oppostie direction and governmentally FORCING children to work is the answer?

Comment

You guys are nuts.
            I hope none of these radical totalitarian government interventions ever become true. If I wanted to live in oppression, I would move to North Korea!

The USA is built on LIBERTY, not oppression.

p.s. Why should the government have any say in when or how my kids work, wrenchspinner? You can kma if you think you can vote my kids into work.
            OK I DID go overboard! We cant make people be better parents I got carried away.... But i just see our society on a downward spiral as far as soem of the youth! When you go into the supply houses how many young guys do you see, like early 20's? If just seems as though things are getting worse and worse in the trades.. Unions are desperatly seeking help right now they dont hae enough manpower! In my area you have to search to find help the speaks english anymore... I am not kidding in the least bit. Schools are getting rid of Vocational programs left and right, parents feel as though there little Davy is too GOOD to work with his hands!

We should have to ban importing products into our country!! There should be enough pride for people to specify MADE IN THE USA! But no one cares anymore! Instead of paying more for a product that supports our country they would rather pay for other countries to get richer such as Dubai with oil or Korea to build their nuclear arsenals up!!

We need a president wether it be Republican/Democrat or Independent to Unify this country and reestablish a sense of pride to all Americans! The solution to our economy is to keep American Money American!

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
              But your absolutely right. Free trade is essential to our economy. The problem of course is when trade isn't really free (e.g., the Chinese manipulating their currency); which we should respond to in kind with tarriffs. The idea that we can just unilatterally declare the price for a bushel of wheat is also silly [I don't think he was entirely serious on this]. Forget that Australia grows wheat. If wheat is expensive, then corn bread or rice starts to look pretty good. (The same way Canadian oil sands and Texas wind farms are beginning to look pretty good compared to OPEC oil).

I agree with a lot of what Pipestone Kid says, but not this point.
              Point worth mention...as other parts of the world succomb to changes in weather patterns and shortages have caused crisis's with certain crops, we still yield massive percenatges of the worlds grain crops.

Makes me wonder if there isn't some type of switch of roles in the making...

Comment

Help me woodenstickers or somebody, the evil right-wingers are plotting to take over the forum!!!

Comment

Point worth mention...as other parts of the world succomb to changes in weather patterns and shortages have caused crisis's with certain crops, we still yield massive percenatges of the worlds grain crops.

Makes me wonder if there isn't some type of switch of roles in the making...
                  Its already happening right now. The trade deficit is shrinking as US exports rise.
                  http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080812/...beUEBQCTPv5rEF

Comment

Its already happening right now. The trade deficit is shrinking as US exports rise.
                    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080812/...beUEBQCTPv5rEF
                    And the other interesting thing there is that 78% of the trade deficit can be accounted for by petroleum. (Exports $164B, Imports $221B, Petroleum Imports $44.5B).

Comment

Yeah, so going in the oppostie direction and governmentally FORCING children to work is the answer?
                      Carl, I didn't propose a thing, I did bring to light a fact.

No end of any extreme is ever a good answer, but to ignore a problem when I see so many foreigners that barely speak the language come here and clean house on jobs that took years of schooling and discipline has made me think, hard.

We have a problem,

I actually had this discussion with an Indian fella that had just purchased a $1mil home as I bid a bath remodel.
                      He explained that in India, the governement doesn't intervene when a parent disiplines their children.
                      Children learn to do as their told, or get a crack in the ***.
                      Here a kid can go to school and cry to his teacher, or pit seperated parents against eachother in a "who loves me more" game.

I have a friend the wound up in court on trumped up abuse charges, even after his son openly stated he'd been pushed into exaggerating what his father had done (he raised his voiice at the kid, granted he has a bad temper, he didn't hit and he did go back and talk to him after)

What you maybe don't see is the government already has a form of control over parenting, parents can't smack a kid on the *** now...it's abuse.

Comment

OK I DID go overboard! We cant make people be better parents I got carried away.... But i just see our society on a downward spiral as far as soem of the youth! When you go into the supply houses how many young guys do you see, like early 20's? If just seems as though things are getting worse and worse in the trades.. Unions are desperatly seeking help right now they dont hae enough manpower! In my area you have to search to find help the speaks english anymore... I am not kidding in the least bit. Schools are getting rid of Vocational programs left and right, parents feel as though there little Davy is too GOOD to work with his hands!
                        3/4 of the plumbers I've had have been in their 20s.

Probably 1/2 of the oil burner techs have also been that age.

I like really seeing people my age able to make a living where we live because it is so darn expensive.

Comment

I see your intentions are good spinner. I for one blame the parents. I see it all the time, parents who don't give their children any attention, just plop them in in front of the tv. And they wonder why the kids end up slackers or trouble-makers. Government intervention is not the answer though.

My plan? I plan on being hard on my kid, giving her rules to do homework and chores and excel in school.
                          That way if the majority of her peers are raised as slackers, she will be that much more dominant in the future work place! $$$

Comment

Having done a tankless estimate in Cambridge, the woman says to me: "So, um...like...um, like...I really want to cut down on my carbon footprint and am getting estimates on adding a tankless to fit my budget.".

My advice to her: "Each plumber that drives here to give you your estimate is probably adding months of the saved CO from the tankless to your carbon footprint."
                            Mark, this one just cracks me up! Awesome reply you had there!

Comment

That policy would throw us into third-world status in heart-beat. If we ban imports, Oil and many other commodities will be so limited that anarchy will break out immediately. Not to mention our economy would be absolutely devastated. Luckily if you ever even made it, you'd be overthrown for your stupidity in a matter of a short time.
                              I think that anyone who took this post seriously is the one that is stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Pipestone Kid View Post
                                I think that anyone who took this post seriously is the one that is stupid.
                                ditto.

Comment

Working...
                                X