X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Price Doubled

Once a year I seal my driveway. I have done this for twenty years and I believe it helps prevent some of the damage caused by water and other liquids seeping down a undemining the base. Small cracks are also filled and when done the appearance is very pleasing to the eye. The price of the product used has increased slowly over the years to about $13 0r $14 for a five or six gallon bucket. Yesterday's visit to Home Depot revealed a price of $25 for the same product. I believe these extreme increases in price eventually cause a host of problems, immediately there is the greater outlay of money which might be better spent else where, then there is the risk of avoiding the job altogether because you just can't afford the extra cost. This decision can lead to much more expensive repairs down the road. This is just one simple example, but if applied to many products and services we can project quite a bit of damage resulting to our homes, cars and our very own health. I agree that most Americans myself included could stand to lose some weight, but if we replace more healthy foods such as fruits and vegtables with less expensive and less nutricious ones we put our health at risk. I think we should forget about Ethanol and start planting edible crops. While we are moving towards energy independance, we should consider once again producing the products we consume so we are not at the mercy of other countries and inferior products, and food. I'm at my wits end as to how I will be able to pay for these 50% price increases. Maybe some of you are doing well and are not bothered, but this problem is getting worse.

Re: Another Price Doubled

I got some stuff for the driveway this year, Frankie, usually every year or two, but I haven't noticed the price increase you did. Athough the acrylic stuff seems to have increased more than the coal tar versions. I used to get lucky every fall and get a clear out deal on the acrylic stuff - then the stores stopped carrying as much and I was stuck with the conventional stuff. Best I've seen locally is the Black Knight airport grade stuff on Wally Mart clearout for $18.97 Cdn plus tax for a big pail - 18 litres I guess?

You are right about maintenance though - when gas went nuts, regular maintenance on the car went out the window for most folks, leading to burning more gas and even more smoke in the atmosphere. It's a vicious cirlcle.

One thing to keep an eye out for is bad gas.

I encountered some yesterday. I've always mostly run supreme gas in my car, mainly because I found four cylinder knock sound otherwise. Well, I filled up yesterday and my car started stalling out and choking soon after. Wasn't far from my mechanic, he put some methyl hydrate in to dry things out. Hour or so later, things were back to normal, but it was looking pretty grim for a while. The car wouldn't stay running without flooring the gas. Nasty stuff. I guess nobody was buying much supreme from that tank and the condensation built up. Who knows?

Be careful out there. And remember, maintenance on anything doesn't cost, it always PAYS.
    I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

Very good points Franki.It's reaching most people,I'm sorry some more than others.I agree with you on all matters.

For the record I have to sound callouse.Pain brings change.There are a lot of things that have gotten out of control in the last 15 years since our last "Cleansing".People have gotten out of control with this whole ME-ME generation and it's unregulated consumption of whatever it want's.Oil,Land each other.Hard times will help pen the hogs.The side effect is the humble end up having to pay the higher price.And for that I'm sorry.
      ADAM

Comment

Tinmac,
        I get a lot of flak for running supreme only.All vehicles run so much better.And I as well have gotten a few tanks of bad gas since the price jumps started.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
          Very good points Franki.It's reaching most people,I'm sorry some more than others.I agree with you on all matters.

For the record I have to sound callouse.Pain brings change.There are a lot of things that have gotten out of control in the last 15 years since our last "Cleansing".People have gotten out of control with this whole ME-ME generation and it's unregulated consumption of whatever it want's.Oil,Land each other.Hard times will help pen the hogs.The side effect is the humble end up having to pay the higher price.And for that I'm sorry.
          ADAM
          Adam, good observations from your end. Generally we had become very wasteful and selfish. This event has gotten most people's attention, just hope we don't drop the ball again. Heard yesterday that California is going to have Solar collectors built to provide 20% of their electricity, same will happen in thirty other states. Progress is taking place and for that we should all be Happy and Hopeful. Thanks.

Comment

What I'm seeing from the Help With Housing side is people that just flat can't afford to do the roof or windows or other basic maintenance. Most of this has been going on for some years now, especially with the elderly fixed-income set. Now they are facing serious water issues and mold and electrical failures. This is dangerous! So now the repairs are 10x more money than if they'd been able to do the roof 5 years ago. And now it's critical because of the cost of heat. Not to mention the safety issues in a lot of the homes. I don't see it getting any better.

What I see is a crisis of sub-standard housing and the elderly dying in huge numbers from exposure, fires caused by electrical problems and the use of crumbling fireplaces where they are forced to use wood as their only source of heat. Not to mention those that'll use the oven for heat, or whatever else they can do! I know an elderly gentleman in this area that is living in a house that is better left for the birds to roost in. He heats with coal. We don't know right now how he's going to afford the coal he needs this winter, and still be able to eat. I think his income is $8,000/yr. His major asset he listed was a push mower and two non-working tractors. I found someone that'll buy one of the tractors, but still, that won't be enough money for him to buy his coal!

I worry about these folks. It's gonna be a rough winter for a lot of people. All we can do is if each of us would donate what we can to the charity organizations that help these folks in your community. We'll all have to step up and do what we can.
            I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

That's hard to listen to VS.

Comment

Tough times motivate people. Keep raising oil prices, go ahead. Things will begin to happen and barriers will be broke down. Inventions will come out and revolutionary ways of things will be developed. History has shown us that.
                Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyman View Post
                  Tough times motivate people. Keep raising oil prices, go ahead. Things will begin to happen and barriers will be broke down. Inventions will come out and revolutionary ways of things will be developed. History has shown us that.
                  Would you please not dare the oil industry. He was just kidding guys who control my life! We wouldn't think of using alternative fuels and insulting you giants! I'm not really getting a wood buring stove, I'll just spend my days in the library or over some heating grate like my wife suggested. Who am I anyway to think I should be able to drive my car or heat my house? What is this America?

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                    Would you please not dare the oil industry. He was just kidding guys who control my life! We wouldn't think of using alternative fuels and insulting you giants! I'm not really getting a wood buring stove, I'll just spend my days in the library or over some heating grate like my wife suggested. Who am I anyway to think I should be able to drive my car or heat my house? What is this America?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oRd8ahAxU4
                    I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRjivIBCHDc
                      Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Since we're posting videos here is one back at ya!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UheKmPY1mNw
                        Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Working...
                        X