Still Buying Water Bottles?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still Buying Water Bottles?

I'm not looking to start the whole "How cheap are you" thread again, but I do my best to not spend wastefully. I go food shopping with my wife look for ways to get the best quality for the least amount of money, which brings me to buying water bottles. I have a whole house filter on my city fed water line, I also have a two stage carbon filter which I use to fill a water jug I keep in the fridge. Why are we still buying water? I can't have this discussion with my wife because I'm afraid of her, but this is just plain stupid in my opinion. My daughters are so used to taking these magic water bottles with them that if they had to drink from a fountain or garden hose, I'd probably end up in jail for child abuse. My hats off to whoever convinced us that we needed to buy water in bottles, greatest scam ever.

Re: Still Buying Water Bottles?

I reuse the water bottles(about six times maximum). I run them through the dishwasher,then refill them at work from our RO system. Yes I'm that cheap!
    Mike

Comment

I have been using the same 2 water bottles for almost 2 years now. Once in a while I might wash the drinking tips.
      Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Originally posted by garager View Post
        I have been using the same 2 water bottles for almost 2 years now. Once in a while I might wash the drinking tips.
        I tried to have them reuse the bottles but they say dangerous chemicals are released in the washing process. I take that to mean there are dangerous chemicals in the plastic to begin with! I also suggested a thermos bottle. Now in the face of billions of these bottles clogging up our environment there are reusable bottles being made. What a waste.

Comment

Get a couple Nalgene bottles and fill them up from the filter, If I am working outside on a hot day i fill up three and freeze 2 referigerate one and I have cold water to drink for the whole day! Just make sure that you leave room in the bottle and dont put the top on when you freeze it!

Comment

Just get a few all stainless steel Thermos bottles. I've had mine for years. As for getting good water either go with 5 gallon refillable jugs or have your own little water treatment center at home.

OK, I'm gifted to have a special place near me with a super 10 stage water purification system setup. You go there, sign up with them and buy water by the gallon where they clean out your 5 gallon glass, yes that's glass jugs and fill them up and cap them. They do have 1 gallon glass jugs too which you buy and own.

What is a really sick joke is movie theaters selling pint bottles of brand X spring water for $4.25 each. Talking about screwing customers over!!!. Then why do we spend $5.00 for a little bag of crappy popcorn there? I will not buy anything at the concession stand. It's all very very over priced crap. Most is very stale at best. If hungry go to a quick food place before the movie. Bring your own water and have some before you get out of the car and then once you get back in. Take a small cooler chest full of ice with you.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post

What is a really sick joke is movie theaters selling pint bottles of brand X spring water for $4.25 each. Talking about screwing customers over!!!. Then why do we spend $5.00 for a little bag of crappy popcorn there? I will not buy anything at the concession stand. It's all very very over priced crap. Most is very stale at best. If hungry go to a quick food place before the movie. Bring your own water and have some before you get out of the car and then once you get back in. Take a small cooler chest full of ice with you.
              There is a drive in about an hour from me that we used to go to! It was great bring a cooler of sandwiched and icy cold beverages

Comment

Did you guys hear that plastic bottles left in the sun cause cancer?
                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

did you hear living in california causes cancer!!! How come some many things just cause cancer in california!! "This product contains ingredients known to the state of california to cause cancer"

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
                    did you hear living in california causes cancer!!! How come some many things just cause cancer in california!! "This product contains ingredients known to the state of california to cause cancer"
                    The funniest part is the hotel elevator lobby's cause cancer if smoking is allowed in any rooms on that floor.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                      My hats off to whoever convinced us that we needed to buy water in bottles, greatest scam ever.
                      Same thing I've thought since the beginning. I never understood how people would be willing to pay a dollar or more for a few cents worth of water. I never ever buy water bottles unless I have absolutely no choice which is maybe once a year at most.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                        Did you guys hear that plastic bottles left in the sun cause cancer?
                        I've just recently heard about that. Apparently, Lance Armstrong's wife now has cancer, and they think it came from this source. Go figure...the irony is kind of hollow.

I try and watch our budget, and that means no bottled water. What I need to do is get some good 5-gal containers and go out to the spring that's on the east side of Paddy Mt. down off rt. 55. It's really good water, though it does contain minerals. I guess you'd call it "mineral water!" The local chinese places in Winchester all use that for their drinking water. Go there on a Sunday and you'll be in a line to get water surrounded by some very nice, but obviously asian people! I don't know why that is, but it's true. *shrug*
                        I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post

'cause Arnold is smarter. Other states just don't know about the cancer yet!

Comment

Originally posted by VASandy View Post
                            I've just recently heard about that. Apparently, Lance Armstrong's wife now has cancer, and they think it came from this source. Go figure...the irony is kind of hollow.
                            The irony would be that he was sponsored by a bottled water company. I think you mean Sheryl Crow who he used to go out with. She was diagnosed with cancer some time ago.

Comment

Every time the stuff shows up it's fight night.I refuse to carry it into the house and it gets me in trouble.We have some of the best tasting tap water in the the Tri-counties,I fill a pitcher for the fridge.I may snake one of hers for a canteen every rare once in awhile.But that hardly means I provide the need for 1000 bottles a year,aren't you supposed to drink at least 3-4 of those little bottles a day.

Thanks for sharing my pain Franki.

Comment

Working...
                              X