Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need impeller for Ridgid shop vac. HELP!

I'm a newbie to the forum. I have a Ridgid shop vac that I really like. I use it to draw the dust from my sand blasting cabinet. Well, the impeller finally wore through. With the exception of the impeller, the rest of the vac looks and works like new. It is a model WD600 series. Can anyone help me locate a new impeller (or two)? Thank you!

Hemi-T

Re: Need impeller for Ridgid shop vac. HELP!

more than likly you will need to replace the entire vac motor as most are through air to cool the motor and if enough dirt came through the impellers to wear it out, my guess is the motor would be soon to go as well,
    It may be nearly as cheap to jsut replace the unit, the way parts are sold to day,

try Ridgid
    http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Wet-Dry-...vice-Centers-2 For service, Call 1-800-4-RIDGID (1-800- 474-3443)

If Ridgid can not help you out, WW Grainger sells vac motors/units http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg...Vacuum+Cleaner
    click on motors, on the listing where the filter picture is, middle column near bottom if the motor search does not show up, just tired the link and it come up both ways,
    Last edited by BHD; 08-19-2008, 10:27 PM.
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Thanks BHD. The motor fan is not what wore out, it's the impeller fan inside the canister. The impeller/canister side of the motor is completely sealed off from the cooling fan/armature side, so no dirt has reached the motor.

I called the customer service number, and they no longer have parts available for my vac, even though it's only 2 years old. They offered to warranty it if it was defective, but my problem was not caused by any defect, and I'm not looking for free parts. I wore out the impeller, and I would like to buy a new one.

Right now we're trying to track down the original manufacturer of the unit to see if they still have parts available for it. Since there are probably other branded vacs just like mine, I'm hopeful we can find parts elsewhere. I have to say, I'm disappointed that I can't get parts from Ridgid, but if I can get them from someone else, I'll still be happy.

Hemi-T

Comment

I understand that the motor is not gone but I have never seen them offered as individual parts, only as a motor fan combination on small vacuums,
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

The problem is that we live in a throwaway world where service techs would want more $$$ to repair your motor-fan than what they can buy the whole thing for as a repair part. Your best bet is to try to find the same machine but where the motor burned up early in life. That way the main fan may still be good. You can swap parts on your own then. Two vacs put together to make one good one.

Comment

I agree, there are fewer of us DIY people that like to fix things than there used to be, and it wouldn't be worth hiring a tech to repair it.

It might be possible to find something similar at a flea market or swap meet, but it would take a lot of time. I use my vac regularly, and need to get it repaired or replaced.

I also have a Shop Vac, and have replaced the motor (or "power unit" as they call it) twice under warranty. After just 2 or 3 hours the windings in the motor go open. Sounds just like you turned off the switch. So far, anything I've bought with a plastic canister has been a disappointment. I had two old Shop Vacs with metal canisters that lasted for 15 years or more each. Uh-oh... I'm starting to sound like my Dad

I'm going to follow up with customer support at Ridgid. They said they would help me track down the original manufacturer of the WD 06250 in hopes I could find parts through someone else. If they really do, I would still call that excellent customer service. Thanks for your help guys!

Hemi-T

Comment

nobody seems to sell parts for these things. the impeller is the first thing to fail. i got annoyed and go and buy a new one remove the impeller and return it because it " does not work". or if you are of an honest bent you can take two roofing pan washers and JB weld a sandwich where the drive shaft for the impeller was and drill a new hole in it when cured. that seems to last longer than when it was new. it would be nice if they gave us a couple replacement impellers its not like i am not going to wear out the rest of it that much quicker. i refuse to just throw it away and buy another one, i will fix it and the man can't stop me!

Comment

Talk to the folks at Ridgid customer service. They did a *great* job, and actually tracked down the impeller I needed. It was listed as "not available" because my vac model had been discontinued, but they cross referenced the part number, and it is still being used in other models and is still available. I got a spare along with it, and I should be good for a long time now. Customer service came through, and gets two thumbs up from me.

Hemi-T

Comment

Hemi-T,

Nice work. It's good to be honest and also persist in your effort, while at the same time be a little understanding of tech support's challenges. It appears that tech support received your request in a manner that was "condusive" to extending a helping hand.

Thanks for the post,

CWS

Comment

Hemi-T

Good work regarding tech support.

I would need more info but why is the impeller/fan wearing out in the first place? I really think there's a major air filtering problem that needs to be solved. Is the WD600 (can't seem to find a good pic of it) the drum style type of shop vac? If yes, only clean filtered air should pass through the main impeller/fan and the air for cooling the motor is separate. This type of wet/dry vac uses what's known as a by-pass motor. The type of motor-fan(s) that BHD has in mind are called through flow whereby all air (after passing through a filter) also blows through the motor for cooling. If you blocked the inlet there would be almost no air flow and in a short time the motor would burn up. For wet/dry vacs you got to engineer the machine for use with a by-pass type of motor/fan as moisture and fine dust (that makes it through the filter) = pure hell for the motor itself. Also, safety issues and laws come into play.

Can someone please post a few good pictures of a WD600 vac?

Comment

Working...
                    X