Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how to get nail polish out of a couch???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to get nail polish out of a couch???

My mommy senses were not very sharp this morning...I'm fixing breakfast, and start smelling nail polish, but it never occurred to me to investigate WHY I was smelling nail polish. Then Timmy comes walking up with a half empty bottle of polish (luckily it was clear). I retrace his tracks, and it's all over our beige micro-suede couch! Looks like a bunch of wet spots and it reeks of a nail salon.
    So, any tips out there?? Just thought I'd try.

Re: how to get nail polish out of a couch???

Clear PVC primer.

Test it on the fabric to be sure it won't react with the fabric itself, then use it in small spurts on the nail polish while wiping any dissolved polish so it doesn't run.

Comment

Suggestion, Have a cup of tea and relax. You only get 1 shot at this. Gather info for a bit.
      I have 3 daughters and a Son. Have some Girls next,much easier on the furnature!
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

But eventually girls start growing those bumps and then they start giving away all their Barbie dolls.

INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
        Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you...couch_cushions

Comment

this is one for joey

acetone is the proper solvent.

what i don't know is how it will react with the sofa

a small test at the back of the couch will let you know its effects.

also note that some couches are not 100% the same material in the back to save money. verify first.

try checking with a dry cleaning co for advise on this fabric.
            also a carpet/ upholstery cleaning company should also be able to give advise.

sorry to hear my little nephew made a mess

hope titus was not up to no good too

does josh know yet

rick.

just got off the phone with joey, who happened to be on the phone with josh

she said the suede will be ruined if you try my idea

joey didn't spill the beans to josh.
            phoebe it is

Comment

I was gonna say acetone but got to thinking that it might melt the foam in the cushion as well as the fabric damage.
              "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

All good suggestions. There are two good cleaning solvents "Afta & Goof Off" which work to get nail polish, paint, crayon and all sorts of stuff off materials. Acetone is a good solvent because it evaportes very fast and you should keep some in a safe place away from the kids just in case they crazy glue their fingers together. I learned this the hard way a couple of years ago when I glued MY fingers, but that's another story. You want to remove the offeneding chemical without fading the micro suede, so as suggested do a test on some part of the couch which is not visible such as the back or a piece from underneath a cushion. If you google your question there's all sorts of similar advice. Until the kids get a bit older, some cheap cover or throw will protect the couch from abuse. Let us know how you make out, this is the fun part of having kids seriously, enjoy it.

Comment

A slip cover usually works good. I'll get new furniture when my son is out of the house.
                  Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Acetone, it has an odor but it'll go away. A local hardware should carry it. Just remember to try it where you can't see it to test, before trying it in an open spot.
                    Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Here's the MSDS for Goof-Off (PDF file)

Top four active ingredents (only required to list the top five)

Common Name Approx. Chemical name
                      CAS-No. Weight %

XYLENE 75 - 80 Xylenes (o-, m-, p- isomers)
                      1330-20-7

ETHYLBENZENE 15 - 20 Ethyl benzene
                      100-41-4

DIETHYLENE GLYCOL 1 - 5 Diethylene glycol monomethyl ether
                      MONOMETHYL ETHER
                      111-77-3

TOLUENE 1 - 5 Toluene
                      108-88-3
                      Last edited by Bob D.; 08-24-2008, 07:27 AM.
                      "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                        I was gonna say acetone but got to thinking that it might melt the foam in the cushion as well as the fabric damage.
                        Acetone is very similar to PVC primer in chemical composition.

My wife ran out of polish remover one night and wanted me to go to the store.

I came back from my truck with a can and sure enough, it works.

As far as the foam rubber in upolstery..I don't think acetone reacts with rubber, best bet is like I said...test it first on a hidden area.

Comment

My question is how do all these guys know how to remove nail polish? Inquiring minds don't want to know.
                          Last edited by gear junkie; 08-25-2008, 07:48 AM.
                          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Josh is going to be pissed at me for giving this knowledge out.

Here
                            Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Those chemicals will probably get the polish out. Problem is what will it do to the suede finish on the couch?
                              I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Working...
                              X