X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Missing Dollar

I'm sure some of you have either been asked this before or know the answer so please don't spoil it for those that are new to this.

For everyone that doesn't know this please see if you can figure out what's really going on.

Three people go to a rather unique full service restaurant that has a set price for their special of the day of $10.00 per person which includes everything. That is you pay exactly $10.00 and that's all !!! Even the tip is claimed to be included.

Now let's brake this down some. Each of the three people puts down $10.00 for a total of $30.00. The waitress comes and takes the money to the manager and brings them the special deal. The only option is what beverage each wants so they tell her what they would like.

Later the manager realizes these customers are good regulars and figures he will be nice and give them a discount. He gives the waitress five one dollar bills and tells her to give each of them the same amount refund and to tell them thanks for being regulars. There is a little problem here as each would need to get back $1.33 and 1/3 cent. Let's make it real and say that one would get $1.34 and the other two would get $1.33 each.

NOte: She is not too happy that they normally are poor tippers and she doesn't have any coin change. After thinking some she gives each of the three customers a one dollar bill, and she keeps two dollars and says nothing about that to anyone. She just tells the three customers that the manager is giving them a "One Dollar Off Discount".

Now for the wild part: With the refund that means each of the three customers actually paid $9 and if you do simple math that would be a total of $27. Now if you add the $2 the waitress kept that's only $29.

Math: 3 x 9 + 2 = 29 or 27 + 2 = 29 and not 30

Here is the question. Things started with $10 x 3 persons which is $30 total. Where is the missing dollar? Can you figure this out?

Hint: Sometimes things aren't just as simple as they should be.

The answer is actually quite simple but I bet some of you will be banging your heads in the wall trying to figure it out. Please don't go crazy. Either you'll know the answer and laugh or you may never find it.

UPDATED 8/23/2008 at 21:35 EDT - I tried to make it more to the point and less wordy with my P L P L P L trash.
    I'll see if anyone posts the correct answer and if not then I'll post it in a few days.
    Last edited by Woussko; 08-23-2008, 09:34 PM.

Re: The Missing Dollar

I'm not sure of the answer but I played around and figured if the manager gave her four dollars and she kept one dollar, there are now 2 dollars missing. This leads me to believe the money the manager is refunding has nothing to do with the original equation of three people paying ten dollars each? Am I close?

Comment

$30.00 + $5.00 - $2.00 = $ 33.00 - $ 3.00 = $30.00
      sigpic

Comment

There is no missing dollar and the $29 has no mathematical justification and is taken out of thin air. It's just a play of words.

$25 went to the owner
        $3 stayed with the customers
        $2 were kept by the waitress
        ---------
        $30 Total
        Last edited by darius; 08-23-2008, 10:55 PM.
        In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.

Comment

Originally posted by darius View Post
          There is no missing dollar and the $29 has no mathematical justification and is taken out of thin air. It's just a play of words.

$25 went to the owner
          $3 stayed with the customers
          $2 were kept by the waitress
          ---------
          $30 Total
          The part about playing with words is it. It's all about how things are presented.

Comment

Of the 30 dollars that they paid, 25 is in the cash drawer and 2 is in the waitresses pocket. And each of the three customers has a dollar. 25 + 2 + 3 = 30
            ---------------
            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
            ---------------
            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
            ---------
            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
            ---------
            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Many years ago...(many...many) I had a high school teacher present this same scenario only she used a motel and a bell boy in place of the restaurant and waitress. She presented this on a Monday and told us to figure it out by Friday. I racked my brain that week. In the end, none of us could see that the answer was simple logic right infront of our face. (laughing) We were coming up with mathematical equations and functions that Einstein would have been proud of. Needless to say, we all were just dumbfounded and had a good laugh when she provided the answer. Thanks for reminding me about this...brings back good memories. I wonder where Amanda Bell is these days......

Comment

Working...
              X