Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone ever installed their own chain link fence?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anyone ever installed their own chain link fence?

helen, wouldn't it be cheaper just to fence in the suede couch from the kids

don't forget adam

he doesn't mind getting his hands dirty

then there's bhd who is the jack of all trades. plus with all the politics in his state, i think he'll enjoy the get away

root beer and junk food, now that's a party

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Josh,
      Either way that you go, don't forget Digger's Hotline. Even on the periphery of your yard, even if you don't think you're going that deep. And no matter if you do it or a pro does it. Do your locating work!!! Why am I such a stickler on stuff like this? Guy in our area was putting in a metal post for a bird feeder last year. Drove it into the ground. Hit power lines and was electrocuted. He hadn't called for locating work first. Frost line depths and depth of poles could put you into the depth of either gas lines or electric. Even hand digging can rupture either. Take care.
      Jim Don

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs. Josh View Post
        I just got the second quote for $2,300. Not as reputable a company, but i'm sure they'd still get the job done...
        I am starting to like the idea more of installing it ourselves. Okay...let's be honest...Josh installing, me watching boys, and bringing him cold rootbeer.
        Maybe we should price out tickets for rick and mark...
        There's a third guy coming any minute now.

It really isn't a lot of fence! I can't believe how high these prices are!
        Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        helen, wouldn't it be cheaper just to fence in the suede couch from the kids

don't forget adam

he doesn't mind getting his hands dirty

then there's bhd who is the jack of all trades. plus with all the politics in his state, i think he'll enjoy the get away

root beer and junk food, now that's a party

rick.
        this sounds like a road trip i did my fence by my self it is not hard

all we need is food and drink
        now that's cheap labor
        Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
        http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
        http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Easy to install. If doing wood use screws instead of nails. If using chain link 6' should have top rail. Impact driver or a collated screw gun does the job.

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
            Thanks everyone. Still looking into my options on this one. It would make Helens life a lot easier having them penned in. I have considered wood. Just looks like a pain to keep up.

Josh
            You could always get a couple dog collars and the invisible dog fence installed.

Call 811 for locating service, that's the new national toll free number.
            Last edited by Bob D.; 08-31-2008, 11:04 PM.
            ---------------
            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
            ---------------
            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
            ---------
            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
            ---------
            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

we already thought about the invisible fence (dog collars) I think we could make the news .

We are probably just going with the reputable company in the area.

Amen on the importance of locating.

Josh

Comment

Josh,

I know I don't know you, I'm fairly new here, but those prices are way high! (IMO)

Shop around HD, Lowes, and a few others. Ensure you get a strong fabric (fence) say 9 gauge. You can do this job yourself in 3-4 days easy. I do 2-3 fences a week when the weather is somewhat calm. Dig and set the posts one day, wait 24hrs and install the top rail, then the next day run the fence.

http://www.hooverfence.com/chain.htm

Above is a good link for information. Go to their "how to install a chain link fence manual" link. Good information for you if this is your first time.

I don't use a puller, I use bolt cutters and insert the handles through the mesh, then pull against each pole as I go. Maybe a little slower than a puller, but it works and gets the fence nice and tight...just hold them in place with your body as you strap the fence to the post.

Anyway...good luck with the job. If you have any questions just ask.

Comment

Even if you call OUPS (Ohio Utility Protection Service for us in Ohio), proceed with caution. The utility companies that did respond (not all did even though they were present, but that's a whole other issue I have with them) to the most recent call for a co-worker installing an irrigation system all stopped marking at the Right of Way line with the exception of the cable company.

Comment

This will make your life real easy!!!! My parents just fenced in 2 acres of there property and this made their life easy!!! bigger is better!

Comment

Working...
                    X