Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone ever installed their own chain link fence?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone ever installed their own chain link fence?

Helen and I are looking into installing a fence to keep the boys penned in. I would say its easily less than 100 ft of 4' fence total with a gate. We were quoted 3k today.

Is this one of those you should have a pro do or could I rent a puller and do a fine job.

Sorry if this is one of those stupid DIY questions that I should never take on without trained help

Josh

Re: Anyone ever installed their own chain link fence?

Well, it's some work that's for sure. But you're young.

If you DIY rent a gas-powered post hole auger, that will save you a bunch of time and work. Around here it would eb less than $75 for the weekend (Sat & Sun), returning it on Monday morning.

A RIDGID Pipe cutter will come in handy. Do you know where you can get one of those??

Line level & nylon line
    Shovels
    Quickcrete (bags)
    Wheelbarrow
    Come-a-long
    HD Wire cutters (for fence fabric)
    Linemans pliers
    Beer
    Plot plan and/or location of lot markers.

A heads up to the neighbors might ease things before you put up the "wall". Some people can get the wrong idea when a fence goes up w/o warning.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
      Helen and I are looking into installing a fence to keep the boys penned in. I would say its easily less than 100 ft of 4' fence total with a gate. We were quoted 3k today.

Is this one of those you should have a pro do or could I rent a puller and do a fine job.

Sorry if this is one of those stupid DIY questions that I should never take on without trained help

Josh
      My wife and I were thinking of one at the beginning of the summer [also to keep our son penned in], but decided it was a luxury we couldn't afford. I got a quote for a 4' or 6' chain link fence at $12/foot for about 300'. The contractor said that fencing was slow, and that a year or ago, they price was $16/foot. The price for 4' or 6' was the same, because the 6' doesn't require a top bar, but the 4' does. This was the black coated fence. With the drive gate and a 5' gate it came out to just more than $4k. I would expect that in Ohio, the prices would be lower than in the NY metro area; so I suggest getting another quote.

I priced out the materials afterward, and the cost I could get them for was close to $3k. For us, there is no way that it would be worth digging 40 or so holes, to save $1k. For now, we are trying to instill discipline into the boy rather than getting the fence. Also, I built a gate for our deck, so he can play in a 500 sq. ft. fresh air playpen without escaping.

Comment

Josh, curious why you want to do chain link? Wood is cheaper, harder to climb, offers more privacy. I know wood requires maintenance but it's not that often. Just a word on renting a power auger or using a manual post hole digging tool, if you live in an area where there are big rocks, these tools are useless. I put up 28 sections of stockade fence years ago and each post hole took two to three houres to dig! I was pulling up rocks the size of basketballs and microwave ovens and had to use digging bars. Worst was the tree roots, those things are like spring steel.
        Last edited by Frankiarmz; 08-27-2008, 11:22 PM.

Comment

Josh,

Your labor is cheap and the job is pretty simple to do a good job.

Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
            Josh,

Your labor is cheap and the job is pretty simple to do a good job.

Mark
            NO!!!
            I can't take it anymore.Since I've joined this forum I've seen major violations in DIY allowances.

1.Water Heater replacements.
            2.Propressing in new water system.
            3.Roofing With His Father.
            4.Re-Plumbing Your basement waste.
            Who does this Josh guy think he is anyway?Has he no clue what Ridge Tool Companies policy is on helping unlicensed fencers fence here?
            Besides,he could start to grow calouses on this one.That would not be good for Hellen's nightly foot messages.

Comment

i have a gas powered auger and plenty of come alongs

i like my root beer cold and endless

can't be any worse than your parents stoppage

adam, bill, road trip

ben, i left you out since i doubt josh and helen need razor wire

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                ben, i left you out since i doubt josh and helen need razor wire
                With two boys ... it might not be such a bad idea.

Comment

Wood is good. H.d. Has garbage chain link!
                  I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

On the average I put in between 50 and 150 wood posts a year in my fences, be glad you do not have 6 miles of fences to maintain, yes it is barbed wire, but there are still posts, and then put in 3 to 5 miles of temporary fence ever year, the electric fences I either use T posts or smaller rod posts, wood posts on the corners,

Until about three years ago I did not have a power digger, and even now I usaly only hook up the digger when I a buch of posts to put in, a few summers ago I put in 150 post in three day period, I had some help, from some kids, they worked hard, it was hot, 100+ for the highs, we power dug the main hole but it was so dry we had a hard time getting the sand out of the hole, and then post and back fill, and tamp them in tight and then staple the wires back on.
                    but when I was younger I did dig about 50 posts holes with a hand digger in one 8 hr day, for a corral,

If the ground is hard, dig down about 3 to 6" and fill it with water and then come back the next day, and finish the hole, If digging by hand.

even with a power digger many times one will still need to finish hand digging the holes, either to straighten them or to get the lose dirt out of the bottom of the hole,

Josh you can do it, set your corners and then string the main line, and space the holes accordingly, let the cement set before appling any pressure on the corners.

the pictures are looking to the east into some of the pastures,
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by BHD; 08-28-2008, 01:16 AM.
                    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                    attributed to Samuel Johnson
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Thanks everyone. Still looking into my options on this one. It would make Helens life a lot easier having them penned in. I have considered wood. Just looks like a pain to keep up.

Josh

Comment

Josh, I put up 80 feet of chainlink around a small garden this spring. Set the poles one afternoon and the fence the next morning. Took me about four hours, total time. (Of course, I'm old and slow) It isn't all that difficult and it isn't really rocket science.
                        Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
                          Thanks everyone. Still looking into my options on this one. It would make Helens life a lot easier having them penned in. I have considered wood. Just looks like a pain to keep up.

Josh
                          Out here wood lasts for decades if the proper material is installed correctly.Is weather that much rougher on product in other climates?

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                            Out here wood lasts for decades if the proper material is installed correctly.Is weather that much rougher on product in other climates?
                            What happens in our cold climates is frost heave. That leads to the cement footer cracking and water seeps in. That causes the wooden fence posts to rot, and that happens quicker than metal will take to rust out. To properly set the posts, you have to find the recommended frost depth (here it's 3') and set the posts to that depth in cement. If you have rock, that means you're in for a back-breaking day!
                            I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

I just got the second quote for $2,300. Not as reputable a company, but i'm sure they'd still get the job done...
                              I am starting to like the idea more of installing it ourselves. Okay...let's be honest...Josh installing, me watching boys, and bringing him cold rootbeer.
                              Maybe we should price out tickets for rick and mark...
                              There's a third guy coming any minute now.

It really isn't a lot of fence! I can't believe how high these prices are!

Comment

Working...
                              X