Weekend Projects

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weekend Projects

I made some progress on my daughters high chair this weekend, actually more like some pre-progress. I am trying to clone this:
    http://hipposmile.com/ourproducts.php

To do the back, which is curved I needed to do a lamination. To do the lamination, I needed to resaw some veneers to laminate up. This required ZCIs. I broke stock RIDGID ones, one last weekend, and the weekend before that. So before I could cut some more veneers, I needed to make a new ZCI. To do the flush trimming and rabetting on the ZCI, I needed a router table. Here is my router table, including above-the-table height adjustment. It looks remarkably like a scrap of plywood with a hole in the middle.
    Name:  add7dd54fd13451b34a2d74e78d431db.jpg
Views: 2
Size:  115.3 KB

After getting the ZCI done, I managed to cut some nice thin pieces (roughly 1/16").
    Name:  8fbfd74d55590e5946786b441c8163f8.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  140.8 KB

I also practiced the lamination on some veneers that I cut from 2x4s last week. This is my second attempt and it came out better than the first. The important changes were to use 6/32" of cork on each side of the glue-up; use a $2 mini paint roller to spread the glue evenly; and to use 4 clamps instead of just 2. Also, the Jorgensen bar clamps with screw handles worked pretty well, but the Irwin quick grip Xp didn't work very well. You can't see much, because there is aluminum foil to prevent the glue from sticking the glue up to the form.
    Name:  a65bcd686300ebc28b01871e2ad0a10c.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  109.5 KB

So far I am about 2x the cost ($80 lumber, $107 router, $40 router bits, $10 hardware, $40 think-kerf rip blade, $50 RIDGID ZCIs that broke, $40 clamps, $5 for 2x4 to play with instead of "real wood"). And I have plenty to go (mostly in router bits). I'm sure I'll hit 3x before, I'm done; but it is fun and it will be a Charles original. I also justify it that the tools can also be amortized into the next projects.

I also did some touch up paint in my family room, where we used to have a cabinet, but now have screw holes. Not as good as I will like it, so will have to repeat it again.

What are you doing with your weekend?

Re: Weekend Projects

Got to give you credit for expanding your knowledge, and enriching your home with these very useful and personal items. You are making memories! I resealed my driveway, tomorrow I man the grill for a family cookout. I would like to mention that while we enjoy nice weather and calm days, my prayers go out to the folks who will be affected by hurricane gustav.

Comment

I havent had my new 3660 long and i want to make some auxillary fences for it. I bought some mdf to make the fences, but its too large to cut the way i am now set up. I ordered the plans from Wood magazine for the outfeed table that stores above my saw, but thanks to Wood magazine and the snail mail, my weekend is being spent thinking about the table project and cooking some barbeque.

Comment

"This required ZCIs. I broke stock RIDGID ones,"

cpw, could elaborate on how this happened? How do you 'break' a ZCI?
        What material are the RIDGID ZCIs made of? I have never seen one because HD does not carry them in the stores, which now sounds like a good move since you have broken two in two weeks.

For gluing up laminations, I would suggest some pipe clamps in either 1/2 or 2/4" pipe size. They can exert much more clamping force than any of the clamps you are currently using and they are not expensive, ~$12 + the cost of whatever length pipe you need.
        Last edited by Bob D.; 08-31-2008, 07:29 AM.
        "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
        John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
          "This required ZCIs. I broke stock RIDGID ones,"

cpw, could elaborate on how this happened? How do you 'break' a ZCI?
          What material are the RIDGID ZCIs made of? I have never seen one because HD does not carry them in the stores, which now sounds like a good move since you have broken two in two weeks.
          The stock ridgid ones are made of plastic. instead of being a solid plastic sheet, they are a thin bit of plastic on top, and then a webbing on the bottom (kind of like the stock metal plate, but plastic instead). I was resawing the red oak, and the stock "chattered" a bit when I got to the end of the cut; and when it hit the ZCI they shattered itno many pieces.

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
            The stock ridgid ones are made of plastic. instead of being a solid plastic sheet, they are a thin bit of plastic on top, and then a webbing on the bottom (kind of like the stock metal plate, but plastic instead). I was resawing the red oak, and the stock "chattered" a bit when I got to the end of the cut; and when it hit the ZCI they shattered itno many pieces.

WOW, these are the RIDGID model AC1045 ZCIs that they used to want something like $30 for each for on the RIDGID Woodworking parts website (which I notice has disappeared/no longer reachable)?

First time I can remember anyone commenting on here that they had one break during use.
            Last edited by Bob D.; 08-31-2008, 09:07 AM.
            "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
            John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Working...
            X