Voted against making English the official language
    No
    Yes

Voted to give Social Security benefits to illegals
    No
    Yes

CAPITAL GAINS TAX

MCCAIN
    0% on home sales up to $500,000 per home (couples). McCain does not propose any change in existing home sales income tax.

OBAMA
    28% on profit from AL L home sales. (How does this affect you? If you sell your home and make a profit, you will pay 28% of your gain on taxes. If you are heading toward retirement and would like to down-size your home or move into a retirement community, 28% of the money you make from your home will go to taxes. This proposal will adversely affect the elderly who are counting on the income from their homes as part of their retirement income.)

DIVIDEND TAX

MCCAIN
    15% (no change)

OBAMA
    39.6% - (How will this affect you? If you have any money invested in stock market, IRA, mutual funds, college funds, life insurance, retirement accounts, or anything that pays or reinvests dividends, you will now be paying nearly 40% of the money earned on taxes if Obama becomes president. The experts predict that 'Higher tax rates on dividends and capital gains would crash the stock market, yet do absolutely nothing to cut the deficit.')

INCOME TAX

MCCAIN
    (no changes)
    Single making 30K - tax $4,500
    Single making 50K - tax $12,500
    Single making 75K - tax $18,750
    Married making 60K- tax $9,000
    Married making 75K - tax $18,750
    Married making 125K - tax $31,250

OBAMA (reversion to pre-Bush tax cuts)
    Single making 30K - tax $8,400
    Single making 50K - tax $14,000
    Single making 75K - tax $23,250
    Married making 60K - tax $16,800
    Married making 75K - tax $21,000
    Married making 125K - tax $38,750
    Under Obama, your taxes could almost double!

INHERITANCE TAX

MCCAIN
    - 0% (No change, Bush repealed this tax)

OBAMA
    Restore the inheritance tax.
    Many families have lost businesses, farms, ranches, and homes that have been in their families for generations because they could not afford the inheritance tax. Those willing their assets to loved ones will only lose them to these taxes.

NEW TAXES PROPOSED BY OBAMA
    • New government taxes proposed on homes that are more than 2400 square feet.
    • New gasoline taxes (as if gas weren't high enough already)
    • New taxes on natural resources consumption (heating gas, water, electricity)
    • New taxes on retirement accounts, and last but not least....
    • New taxes to pay for socialized medicine so we can receive the same level of medical care as other third-world countries!!!
    You can verify the above at the following web sites:

http://money.cnn.com/news/specials/e...008/index.html
    http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/iss...ues.taxes.html
    http://elections.foxnews.com/?s=proposed+taxes
    http://bulletin.aarp.org/yourworld/p..._on_taxes.html
    http://blog.washingtonpost.com/fact-.../barack_obama/
    http://blog.washingtonpost.com/fact-...s/john_mccain/
    Last edited by Bob D.; 08-31-2008, 11:48 AM.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Re: Where they stand on the issues

I'm sure the above post while being accurate likely only points out the things the originator of the information wants it to. That being said the Capitol Gain Taxs on homes is very telling. Lets say a couple buys a home for $100,000 and lives in it for 20-years. As their biggest investment they hope to earn some retirement money for it. After 20-years their home is now worth $500,000 a $400,000 Capital Gain. So for all of their hard work in maintaining their home and paying their mortgage Obama wants $112,000 of their profit. Is that really what hard work in America should be about?

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Here is an excellent website report on where candidates stand on the issues.
      http://www.ontheissues.org/default.htm
      Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
        Here is an excellent website report on where candidates stand on the issues.
        http://www.ontheissues.org/default.htm
        Thank you, you convinced me McCain is the right choice.

Mark

BTW: Have you figured out yet how much your business will have to grow to "break-even" if Obama gets elected?

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
          I'm sure the above post while being accurate likely only points out the things the originator of the information wants it to. That being said the Capitol Gain Taxs on homes is very telling. Lets say a couple buys a home for $100,000 and lives in it for 20-years. As their biggest investment they hope to earn some retirement money for it. After 20-years their home is now worth $500,000 a $400,000 Capital Gain. So for all of their hard work in maintaining their home and paying their mortgage Obama wants $112,000 of their profit. Is that really what hard work in America should be about?

Mark
          Very true, but these are the things we don't see in the mainstream media.

Comment

I took the 'vote-match' quiz and it puts me in the category of a 'moderate libertarian' which unfortunately neither presidential candidate is close to.
            Obama is on the left, McCain is on the right, I am right smack, square in the center! I already knew that, but taking the test confirmed how seriously divided I am since I agree with both candidates on different issues.
            Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Thanks for posting that Bob. Makes it much easier to compare the two.

Question: Amount of time served in the US Senate.
              How many of the 173 days has Osama..I mean Obama, actually sat in his seat and not out on the campaign trail? I remember hearing something like 144 days but I'm not sure.
              INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
              Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

I agree with the conclusion, but of course it is slanted. To some extent it is the same as the democrats who are claiming that McCain thinks women should be paid less for the same job. I am sure thre is more too it, but if you just listen to the sound bite McCain is sexist.

The tax thing is a little bit similar, because it is only covering Federal Income tax not Social Security, which will matter a lot for the lower brackets where the FIT wil double; but SS will not.

Personally, I know that I am taxed way too much already; so I don't want any increase. You want to talk about keeping americans in their home; how about for starters not making them pay several hundred or thousand dollars more a month in taxes. That is easily enough to push people over the edge.

Comment

We all pay far too much in taxes already and mostly so greedy *&&^% hogs can work a few years claiming to be public servants and then retire in luxury at our expense. Such simply is not right.

As was stated earlier in this thread there are too many cases where inheritance taxes make it so people can't inherit what should become their not not government property.

Greed is the root of much evil, thus the greedy should be banished and damned upon death. Far too many people care only about great material wealth. Guess what? 1. You can't take it with you when you die. 2. You really can't buy happiness or good health if you totally disrespected your body and thus destroyed it. 3. _________ (please add your part.)
                  Last edited by Woussko; 08-31-2008, 02:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
                    We all pay far too much in taxes already and mostly so greedy *&&^% hogs can work a few years claiming to be public servants and then retire in luxury at our expense. Such simply is not right.

As was stated earlier in this thread there are too many cases where inheritance taxes make it so people can't inherit what should become their not not government property.

Greed is the root of much evil, thus the greedy should be banished and damned upon death. Far too many people care only about great material wealth. Guess what? 1. You can't take it with you when you die. 2. You really can't buy happiness or good health if you totally disrespected your body and thus destroyed it. 3. _________ (please add your part.)

Here is Harlem representative Charles Rangel. Just look at the picture of this poor excuse for a politician, fat slob. Those poor people that he is supposedly representing. Oh yeah and he "forgot" to pay rental tax income on the property too. Oh yeah, it isreported by that horribly slanted right wing nutjob paper The NY Post. Funny how it wasnt reported anywhere else.http://www.nypost.com/seven/08312008...way_126882.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
                      How many of the 173 days has Osama..I mean Obama, actually sat in his seat and not out on the campaign trail? I remember hearing something like 144 days but I'm not sure.
                      Are you serious!?

Comment

WOW!

Apparently there really WOULD be "change" under Obama as president.

Comment

I've said before that I really don't like either of these candidates as President. I don't know why McCain reuses to go after the borders and resolve the issue of Illegals but it bothers me. McCain will also have his hands filled dealing with the congress. I have a feeling Obama will get in and after screwing things up the next four years it will be time for a republican and so the cycle continues. Maybe socialized medicine is not the answer but there should be some way to get health insurance for the millions of hard working Americans. I also believe there is a world of difference between where they say they stand on the issues and what they will actually do once in office.

Comment

Where is this information located. I'm trying to find it:

MCCAIN
                            (no changes)

OBAMA (reversion to pre-Bush tax cuts)
                            Single making 30K - tax $8,400
                            Single making 50K - tax $14,000
                            Single making 75K - tax $23,250
                            Married making 60K - tax $16,800
                            Married making 75K - tax $21,000
                            Married making 125K - tax $38,750
                            Under Obama, your taxes could almost double!

I'm not trying to say its not true, but just looking for the source.

Thanks
                            YourHomeContractor.com - The Trusted Online Community For Homeowners and Contractors.

Plumbing Reviews

Comment

If you google

it is all over the Internet. I'm not sure how slanted it is if at all but there are a bunch of sites to view.

Mark

Comment

Working...
                              X