Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My forum - Aiming to help the customer/contractor relationship

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • My forum - Aiming to help the customer/contractor relationship

    Hey guys and girls! This is sort of long, but worth the 5 minutes

    I started a forum where contractors can go to find work and customers can go to find reputable contractors.

    MODS: If I'm not able to post this due to advertising reasons, I can understand and if this thread needs to be deleted, I can understand that also.

    Basically, it will go something like this:

    First, a homeowner will post a message stating the project(s) they want done. This could be anything from replacing a faucet to replacing a driveway. They can upload pictures of what they want done to better help the contractor understand the project more before bidding/looking at the job. This is not necessary and is optional, but a picture is worth a thousand words.

    Next, contractors who are members will "apply for the job" by posting a message that includes their bids, telling the customer when the job can be completed, what type of materials they will be using and other important information. The homeowner can make their decision and contact the contractor of their choice.

    When a homeowner finds a contractor, either party can post any information about the job on the forum. Anything from verbal agreements to questions to praises can be put on the forum and it is also encouraged. If it is a larger job, the customer or contractor can take pictures of the project, put them up in thread to show the progress and give other members ideas for future projects.

    Finally, once the project is done, the homeowner and contractor will fill out a questionnaire form stating how the job went. After this, the homeowner and the contractor will both get a rating.

    The reason why I thought this would work better than other lead services and/or places like Angie's List is because myself (along with other admins/moderators) would mediate between the two parties if a conflict would ever arise. Also, other parties would have feedback. Customers and Contractors. So if a customer has good feedback, contractors will be more inclined to do work for them and not having to worry if they are going to get paid or not and contractors with good feedback will have more customers inclined to have them do the work.

    It's almost like Ebay, Craigslist, Service Magic, and Angie's List thrown into one. It isn't as fancy as Service Magic or Ebay, but it's just starting out

    It is a vBulletin based forum so it is pretty user friendly.

    I'm just curious if you guys and girls think this is a terrible idea or a good idea. My website doesn't favor the customer or contractor (that's my main pro compared to other sites). It just favors the truth and what is right. I know my website has its pros and cons, but every other successful website out there (Angie's List, Service Magic, eBay, etc.) has many flaws also.

    Thanks for spending the time to read this and reply. Any questions about the website/forum are welcomed!
    YourHomeContractor.com - The Trusted Online Community For Homeowners and Contractors.

    Plumbing Reviews

  • #2
    Re: My forum - Aiming to help the customer/contractor relationship

    aaron, i wish you all the best of luck

    so are you leaving the trenches to be more like josh

    just as you got your k-60 up and running

    remember us little guys when you make it big time

    as always, you know how to find me

    rick.
    phoebe it is

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: My forum - Aiming to help the customer/contractor relationship

      Originally posted by HouseOfAtlas View Post


      Next, contractors who are members will "apply for the job" by posting a message that includes their bids, telling the customer when the job can be completed, what type of materials they will be using and other important information. The homeowner can make their decision and contact the contractor of their choice.

      When a homeowner finds a contractor, either party can post any information about the job on the forum. Anything from verbal agreements to questions to praises can be put on the forum and it is also encouraged.
      I like your idea,

      but for now there is only two issues I have. I have spent 18 years on the learning ability of bidding. I had to learn how to bid from roofing to tiling to stair building, you name it I had to figure it out the hard way. Now you want me to place my bid on the net, so any hack can quickly learn how to bid. Or not only a hack, but some in experience contractor can my bid against me after seeing my proposal.

      Verbal agreements can turn into a website slandering lawsuit fight. Be careful in this area.

      I really do like your idea and I have had the same similar thoughts, but just no time to try this area of dabbling. I would certainly be interested in joining, but some parts of a business venture/contracts I'm not willing to share so easily. Keep me informed on your site to be....
      Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

      http://www.contractorspub.com

      A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: My forum - Aiming to help the customer/contractor relationship

        Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        aaron, i wish you all the best of luck

        so are you leaving the trenches to be more like josh

        just as you got your k-60 up and running

        remember us little guys when you make it big time

        as always, you know how to find me

        rick.
        Oh no. I'm not leaving the trenches just yet. IF (That's a big IF) things started rolling, I am guessing it would take quite a while.

        As for the guys here, I'm hoping most of you join in the future. The website needs good guys like you. Hacks won't last long on the website, either. And neither will terrible customers

        The contractor nor the customer has an advantage. They are both equal. That is why I am hoping to have guys that have been in a trade to help out with the mediation of problems between a contractor and customer (when it happens).
        YourHomeContractor.com - The Trusted Online Community For Homeowners and Contractors.

        Plumbing Reviews

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: My forum - Aiming to help the customer/contractor relationship

          Originally posted by garager View Post
          I like your idea,

          but for now there is only two issues I have. I have spent 18 years on the learning ability of bidding. I had to learn how to bid from roofing to tiling to stair building, you name it I had to figure it out the hard way. Now you want me to place my bid on the net, so any hack can quickly learn how to bid. Or not only a hack, but some in experience contractor can my bid against me after seeing my proposal.

          Verbal agreements can turn into a website slandering lawsuit fight. Be careful in this area.

          I really do like your idea and I have had the same similar thoughts, but just no time to try this area of dabbling. I would certainly be interested in joining, but some parts of a business venture/contracts I'm not willing to share so easily. Keep me informed on your site to be....
          Thanks for the tip!

          I think I will change it so contractors will just post when they can come and look at the job (if its a big job). If it's service work, plumbers, electricians, etc. can put their hourly rate or when they can be out there, etc.

          Also, in the signature line, you can post things like, "Been in the business for 18+ years" and you can even put down your license number, too.

          Trust me, even though neither the customer or contractor has an advantage, I am looking out for both of them! As I told Rick, hacks won't last long on my website. I'll even write something up that saying that low bidders or "low ballers" isn't always the way to go since quality can and will suffer.

          Thanks again for your input. I appreciate it!!
          YourHomeContractor.com - The Trusted Online Community For Homeowners and Contractors.

          Plumbing Reviews

          Comment

          Working...
          X