X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Storm Warnings

Here in Ct we have plenty of trees and unfortunatley most of them still have plenty of leaves. We received a recorded message from our fire chief warning people to stay inside and stay clear of downed power lines and trees. My chain saws are all ready for action, hope nothing happens but just in case it does. I'm ready.

Re: Storm Warnings

Don't forget the fresh mixed gas and bar oil ..lol enjoy the fun
    Sam

Comment

Be careful of what and where you do saw. Even professional tree experts get into some nasty messes cleaning up after strong storms.

Do any of you have tornado/dangerous storm warning sirens in your area? We used to use air raid sirens where I am but a long time ago they were removed. I think it was very stupid to remove and destroy them. All areas now and then have dangerous storms and people need a strong waking up to them.
      Last edited by Woussko; 09-06-2008, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Good advice which I follow. There's plenty of time to observe the damage and take appropriate action once the storm passes and daylight comes. Being impatient or in a rush usually gets you or someone else hurt.

Comment

If the tree comes down and is threatening the storm window just remember, that window can be replaced. A chain saw will take your leg off and you can't get one of those at Home Depot.

Mom-in-Law in coastal NC said they haven't had much damage, but some trees are down. Seems like she got through it so far so good. Let's hope Mom and Dad on the Chesapeake don't get hit hard. Dad's one of those guys who'll go out in the middle of the storm with his chain saw to save the neighbor's home. He just turned 80. YOU tell him not to. I just follow him around with the first aid kit and a cell phone!

Good luck to all of you threatened by this storm. I hope we all come out ok! Keep your hopes up that the next one doesn't blast Florida!!
          I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

This is the first major storm we've had since removing our gutters. I'm a little nervous. 3 inches of standing water on the lawn and starting to come down harder Just checked the sump pump Staying close to the basement toilet for signs of gurgling. Combined sewers during heavy rains have me frazzled

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
              This is the first major storm we've had since removing our gutters. I'm a little nervous. 3 inches of standing water on the lawn and starting to come down harder Just checked the sump pump Staying close to the basement toilet for signs of gurgling. Combined sewers during heavy rains have me frazzled

Get us some video
              Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

So far only light winds here and lots of rain but nothing history making. My bet is I get it harder later on once the sun sets.

Here is what I miss hearing the tests of. I really want to see these all over the USA to warn us of tornadoes and major T-storms coming. What do all of you think? Back when I was in grade school, I remember hearing one of these just outside on a tower blast away for a few minutes once a month. Many got scared s___less but I knew it was just a big noise maker and to cover my ears with my paws. Yes, this thing can really HOWL. The second one is much like what was a few miles away. Actually they used one just like the second one to call firemen to come fast to the fire station. For some reason they had this type of siren rather than the more normal type used by fire departments. No way can you ignore this very loud HOWLING. Neither of these shown in the videos are anywhere near me. I'm only posting them to say that I want to again hear them howling warnings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYeql...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvtAP...eature=related
                Last edited by Woussko; 09-06-2008, 09:12 PM. Reason: goofs

Comment

Eye wall went just west of us about 7 this am. 60 mph gusts, some power outages and a few downed trees. About 4.5" rain here about 60 miles southeast of Raleigh. Sunny and hot by 3 PM. Now, if the Neuse river doesn't bust its banks, we'll be fine.

Go
                  Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

How'd everybody make out? Seems like our family is ok, having heard from both sets of parents now. Dad did go out in the height of the storm to help a neighbor! He was up on the neighbor's roof gluing his shingles down before they blew off. All went well and no injuries, so I guess all's well that ends well (I may need blood pressure medicine....but only during storms).

Woussko, come to Berryville. They still use that big ol' horn system to call the firefighters in to the station. You can hear it VERY well from our home. I think they do use it to warn of major storms, but it's a different cadence for those. I've only heard it once, and you do immediately notice the difference. The siren is typically a bit ahead of the tv and radio emergency notifications. The siren basically means start your preparations and pay attention to the TV. If power's out, just run to the basement. As much as I hate that sound, it's kind of nice knowing it's there.
                    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

All dry here

Yard is littered with leaves, limbs and my neighbors patio furniture. If he doesn't pick it up soon, I'll claim it as my own.

Lights flickered a few times.

The sun is shining now so buying a battery sump pump isn't a priority like it was yesterday....maybe tommorrow

Comment

All fine here with just some small tree debris to clean up. I'm one very lucky old hound.

Sandy, I bet this is more like at your fire house. Well, maybe out there they use the good old timer siren, but this is more like what's in my area anymore. Electronics - GGGGGRRRRRRRRRRR ... The MOOOOO MOOOOO would make the old bull do "Horns Down & Charge" if he heard this racket.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJR4R...eature=related
                        Last edited by Woussko; 09-07-2008, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X